Down the rabbit hole

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
After 30 years of dreaming of a vmax I've finally gotten almost all of the kids out of the house and worn the wife down. I bought a 23k mile bike COMPLETLY torn down in 5 cardboard boxes for 750.00 dollars (!!!!!????) after 2 weeks it's almost done and the only part missing is the rear fender! Carbs were shot ( bad diaphragms and stock jetting). Rear brake master cyl Shot and brake pads worn out.

The only thing I can't figure out is the neg. batt. Cable.

I have both the factory service manual and the factory consumer manual but both show the cable going from the batt to ground.

My cable has three ends.

So one to the batt. And one to the frame and one to the engine?

Or one to the batt. One to the frame and one to something else?

Or one to the batt. One to the engine and one to something else?

My vote is door number one.

After 30 years of dreaming of a vmax I've finally gotten almost all of the kids out of the house and worn the wife down. I bought a 23k mile bike COMPLETLY torn down in 5 cardboard boxes for 750.00 dollars (!!!!!????) after 2 weeks it's almost done and the only part missing is the rear fender! Carbs were shot ( bad diaphragms and stock jetting). Rear brake master cyl Shot and brake pads worn out.

The only thing I can't figure out is the neg. batt. Cable.

I have both the factory service manual and the factory consumer manual but both show the cable going from the batt to ground.

My cable has three ends.

So one to the batt. And one to the frame and one to the engine?

Or one to the batt. One to the frame and one to something else?

Or one to the batt. One to the engine and one to something else?

My vote is door number one.

Hi & Congrats
The ground lead should have 3 ends on it 2 at 1 end & 1 at the other. The end with the pig tail on it goes on the batt. The pig tail goes on the rear bolt that holds the latch housing for the air filter cover ( fake tank ). The other end goes on the eng. on the bolt right in front of the oil fill cap.

Hope This Helps Dave

Congrats on getting the bike. Any question that you have can be answered by this site.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Been waiting 30 years for a vmax and I finally have one and after close to 100 other bikes have come and gone this ones staying!
If I can figure out how to post pics I'll get some up. I've only got $983.00 into it including the purchase price! Considering we put my limit at $4000.00 it looks like I've got $3017.00 for improvements! Hmmm.

When you post a reply.....hit the advanced tab....which will open up another page...and you are looking for manage attachments.

Lol.....don't worry there are plenty of people here with ideas on how to spend money on a Vmax.

it looks like I've got $3017.00 for improvements! Hmmm.

Uh-oh, as soon as the mod monkey reads this he is going to take that and more out of your wallet! Congrats and good job on bringing it back from the dead! :punk:

Assemble a bike from boxes in 9 days sure.
Get a picture to rotate....uh....um...duh!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 36
Or get more than one pic per post...surely you think I'm a rocket surgeon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 31
Ok
attachment.php
attachment.php

"Git yer $ back, some-un done stole yer carbs!"

Attachments

• flip this Max.jpg
    flip this Max.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 70
  • flip this Max.02.jpg
    flip this Max.02.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 69
I thought that was where the Flux capacitor went. And how did you do that?

Oh it's more than a touch! But I wanted to get it all together ride it and figure out what it needs. The po thought that a flat black rattle can paint job would look really keen and then changed his mind and began removing it with paint stripper and steel wool! But winter is almost here and our family business is road paving and I don't go back too work till April so I'll have plenty of time to get it right.

It doesn't look too bad for the price.
I look forward to seeing pictures of it once you are done with it.

Already have a rear fender on the way Along with two front calipers ,front braided brake lines ,rear master cyl. And res.,brake pads and a big pile of fasteners off of eBay for 20 bucks (wich can't get here fast enough because I've been eyeing the Gpz as a donor) the bike sat dry for 2 years so many rubber parts like brake and clutch have gone to pot as well as the carbs. I bought a set from a friend of a friend in mi. Who changed to flat slides they are set up with a DJ stage 7 kit (what happened to stages 4-6?) and i've already found a good kerker I traded some jeep parts for.

Well for dynojet. ..there was only stage 1 and stage 7. If set up properly both can be made to run on the street. Both take the same effort to set up.....but the stage 7 makes more power. If you decide to go that route please post on the forum.....and do not follow the directions. Dynojet has them set up pig rich.

Yeah I'm not really a big fan of dyno jet but the price was right. Mine needed 4 diaphragms, 2 slides , jetting , and 4 rebuild kits. So at $400.00 For a complete set with known history wasn't bad. Jetting should be pretty close. His bike ran well but the vboost was gone I want to keep mine so some changes might be needed.
I'll dig around here and see what others have used and start there. Just kidding about the stages thing.

Well it's all together and running (actually rode it around the shop today) grand total is $2214.77. The "complete" basket case for $750.00 that "only needs assembled,ran awesom,sounded great,rode it down the road" only needed..rear fender(missing),handlebars(bent),tires,carbs(2piece diaphragms),ignition(burned),wiring harness,stator,reg/rectifier,v-boost box,v-boost motor(all melted down),grips,brake pads,calipers rebuilt or replaced,stem bearings,swing arm bearings,rear wheel bearings,exhaust gaskets,radiator,ignition coil,silencer rebuilt,middle gear seal,mirrors,headlight bulb,fork seals,fork oil,fuel filter,oil filter,side scoop end caps,clutch master/slave rebuilt,front brake master re-built,rear master replaced,rear master resovoir and last but not least 11d500 nuts bolts and washers bought from a stripped bike on eBay. But I built it and it's mine.

Thanks for the help and advice

9 days! It only took 7 (Christmas shopping) just kidding.

I think I went and picked it up in early October. (It was here for Halloween) in mi. The previous owner is from this forum. Going today for an Ohio vin inspection and plates, its 46 degrees and raining.....perfect riding weather.

Back