Drag Race Transmission/Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
Is anybody interested in purchasing a 3 speed full auto drag race tranny for their Vmax? The transmission can be used for a small tire (chain drive conversion) or a big tire (sprocket located out board of engine cases) drag bike.

I'm going to talk to Robinson Transmission this week and if he's willing. I'll send him some cases and a transmission to make one. He'd be more willing to make 2 so that sounds like a plan.

I would like to say "YES" make me one as well, but I'm afraid to ask how much $$$$ and would I really need it? Construction doesn't pay as well as a good engineering job, but if you have a rough extimation of cost, please let me know. Oh, and if I do get this, you better be saving that swingarm for me.:clapping:

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Rumble take a look at this clutch setup... it's engine driven and can be used as a slider or lock up. He doesn't have one for the VMAX yet. Are you also interested in one. Everybody that's using one loves it. Hayes Clutch

I'm interested.I have a second generation multistage ordered for the Hayabusa.
Wish it would work on Max.

I should have plenty of core transmissions I could send in for you guys. Save you having to take apart your engines right now. Just have to send me back your old trans parts when you get the new ones. I am guessing that they may not even need much of the original trans parts but Gary will know better.

Sean

I would like to say "YES" make me one as well, but I'm afraid to ask how much $$$$ and would I really need it? Construction doesn't pay as well as a good engineering job, but if you have a rough extimation of cost, please let me know. Oh, and if I do get this, you better be saving that swingarm for me.:clapping:

Thanks,

Jeff

Don't know price yet but will soon. I'll send that arm out to you this week.

I should have plenty of core transmissions I could send in for you guys. Save you having to take apart your engines right now. Just have to send me back your old trans parts when you get the new ones. I am guessing that they may not even need much of the original trans parts but Gary will know better.

Sean

Thanks Sean,

I have plenty of cores myself unfortunately. Your generosity has earned you a sticker on my race bike. I owe ya!

I spoke with Robinson today and he's agreed to take a look at doing one. I'm going to send him a set of prep'd cases with a transmission to have a look see.

Just getting one of these guys to look at doing one is a major accomplishment. It will be expensive because he will have to design from the ground up. Machining splines and gears is costly and the reality is... he probably won't sell many. Race transmissions for any of the popular race bikes start in the $2000.00 range and go up from there. A billet shaft/geared Hayabusa transmission is about 3K.

I my case (building a funny bike) there is a second option which is to use a Bentec or a B&J planetary transmission. They are 2 speed transmissions.

So.... we'll see

Typical funny bike transmission. They don't break!

attachment.php

Attachments

• suzuki funny bike trans.jpg
    suzuki funny bike trans.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 88
Awesome.

From what I can see it looks like it would work since it resembles our chain drive conversion quite a bit (except the shear size of the gears).

Sean

Attachments

• New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 29
I need a stronger tranny but i am not wanting to convert my bike to a auto style ,it would problably make it into a drag only bike.I was told once i would be able to make it into a clutch type with stronger gears but would probably have to be a 4 speed.I am thinking after seeing the drag tranny pic it because of the size of the gears.I really enjoy my bike on the street to much to loose the 5th gear on the hwy.Maybe it is just a dream to have a tranny for street strip on gen 1 max.

I need a stronger tranny but i am not wanting to convert my bike to a auto style ,it would problably make it into a drag only bike.I was told once i would be able to make it into a clutch type with stronger gears but would probably have to be a 4 speed.I am thinking after seeing the drag tranny pic it because of the size of the gears.I really enjoy my bike on the street to much to loose the 5th gear on the hwy.Maybe it is just a dream to have a tranny for street strip on gen 1 max.

I'll let you in on a little secret for the stock tranny. The next time you have one race cut don't cut the first 2 gears. How did your transmissions fail?

I always break second gear every time.I break the teeth off, from 1 all way up to 4 teeth.Could you explain to me more detail into not cutting the first 2 gears? I really enjoy this site alot of knowledge on here.By the time i hit second my controller has timed out and laying down full power.

Gary can correct me if I am wrong but undercutting the gears should not matter if you are shearing teeth off the gear face and not just ripping the dogs off (which undercutting can weaken somewhat).

Have you tried having the gears heat-treated (I believe around 67 rockwell on the last set we did years ago)?

Sean

Gary can correct me if I am wrong but undercutting the gears should not matter if you are shearing teeth off the gear face and not just ripping the dogs off (which undercutting can weaken somewhat).

Have you tried having the gears heat-treated (I believe around 67 rockwell on the last set we did years ago)?

Sean

I've checked the hardness of stock gears from my 99' and it was about 45-55 HRC.

And thats for sure couse i have a mill tool which i can use up to 60HRC.

Last year i've machined mine gears and till today i have no problems and
i didnt shave the gear dogs back there.

Back