Drag race video

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuecoDoc

Reaction score
I hooked up the camera again for the drag strip. The runs are against a GSXR 600, an unknown bike, then GSXR 1100 (overbored to 1200 and running a slick), and a new 2009 GSXR 1000. The slick gave the 1100 a real advantage through 1st gear. The new gixxer hauls ass against me.

In the first two runs you can see me fall back on the seat as the tire first hooks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHmAdsnYo0

You didn't post times. Wow, the new GSXR was pulling away the whole time.

Sean

My best run was 11.684 sec at 121.68 mph, on that last run against the 2009 GSXR. He fouled by a slight roll during the ambers, ET 11.569 sec at 131.65. He obviously was stretching the lead fast.

The third run (the first forward-facing camera view) was my 11.744 seconds at 121.16 to his 11.253 at 118.73 mph. That's the overbored GSXR 1100 with the slick. He got a good jump at the start and all through first.

This track is at 4000 feet elevation. Traction is variable because the entrance and parking lot are unpaved and sand is constantly being tracked and blown in. My times improved the first few times out but traction has been worse since. I look forward to trying a new tire, and better track prep on a race day.

Nice Vid! Thanks for posting!

These new sportbikes absolutely amazing with weight/HP output.

Yeah, I saw how that seat kinda needs to be that way on the 'Max! :clapping:

RR

I rode my first crotch rocket this weekend. It was an 06 or 07 GSXR 600. The only performance mod was an air filter and two brothers slip on. All I can say is that it is very different. It had no power at all till about 12K rpm. Cruising along in first gear and it hits 12K and the front end slowly climbs. Let off the throttle and jump back into it and the front end jumps off the ground. Totally strange having the power band kick in at 12K and shifting around 16K! It took more effort to make the bike lean into turns than I would have expected. I guess I was expecting it to fall into the corners, which it did not do. The thing felt rock solid compared to the max. I hit a big ass steel plate covering a hole in the road while I was moving pretty quick (like 80) and the bike didn't miss a beat. I think I may have bounced a bit, LOL, but felt totally stable. I crusied down the road I live on and hit a little patch of road I always open up the max on. I hit 125 in a heartbeat and no idea I was even going this fast. The seating positing was not as uncomfortable on my back and wrists as I would have imagined. However, it was worse on my balls then I expected. The owner said when you ride it long enuf you learn to adjust you posture to prevent that. I guess I needed to put some more miles on it to figure that one out.

It was definitely interesting to me but I'm not sure if I could ride one of these all day. It was fun for awhile tho. Just amazing the top end of the little 600 cc motor. Don't buy one of these for your kids learner bike!

That seems quite slow for a 2009 especially the trap speed. Even with poor 60' time the trap speed should have been better. Last year I ran 11.40 with my 2005 in completely stock form at about 118.

Maybe you are spinning the tire too much.

Sean

Just by sound... it sounds like your 09 really lugged off the start.. engine RPM dropped a lot? Then at the top of 1st the wheel starts to spin?

I found a sweet spot in the right lane but the VHT was only out to 30 or 60' and I would spin after I was past the VHT. On stickier days the tire will squeal when it spins, but this time it was just silently spinning.

I haven't gotten below 2 seconds yet on my 60 foot time, but one of those last two runs was 2.01. I definitely have room for improvement. The best advice I found here was to keep revs down and release the clutch early.

Corrected for altitude my trap speeds are around 130mph. Most bikes here are in the 11s with ZX14s/Busas getting into the 10's.

Thanks for any tips. My times improved the 1st three times out, but the last 2 trips I haven't beeen able to get back down to 11.51 seconds. There are lots of variable in me and the track, but on a given day all my runs are within 3 tenths of each other.

Thanks for the video. Looks like a blast. 130mph is NOT going slow, either!

Off-topic... BTW, I noticed you have a Beemer 1200? How does the beemer get up compared to your 09? Compared to a Gen 1?

The K1200R has a lot of power, but you spend a lot of time waiting for that power to come on. By the time it does the bike is screaming, too. Either the rear spins or the front rises somewhere between 70 and 90 mph in 2nd gear. I have never had it to the strip. I had the transmission replaced once when it started popping out of second gear and I've been gentler with it since then. Transmission is clunky, too, so it's not fun at streetlights like either Vmax.

I love the handling of the BMW with the front duolever, though. Its ergonomics are great for me.

Here's the BMW if you want to see it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWjuSfPKT8

Off-topic... BTW, I noticed you have a Beemer 1200? How does the beemer get up compared to your 09? Compared to a Gen 1?

Just by sound... it sounds like your 09 really lugged off the start.. engine RPM dropped a lot? Then at the top of 1st the wheel starts to spin?

I noticed that too. Get the revs up a bit more! Otherwise, nice runs!:clapping:

nice camara action! I was surprised you let up on the gas while shifting... Keep it pegged all the way through., when you see the shift light slight clutch and shift (bang into the next gear ). it will FLY ... have fun

I know I need to shift faster but clutchless seems the quickest. I haven't been gutsy enough to try that 1st-2nd or even at full power. I've been looking at the shifter options, too. I need to learn how to launch better. My best 60' time has been about 2 sec. I do have a new tire and it seems much better than the stock tire but I haven't made it back to the strip yet.

I did get to see the NHRA qualifying in Ennis, TX last week. Not that I learned anything.

Attachments

• Two  more moto b sm.jpg
    Two more moto b sm.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
My best run was 11.684 sec at 121.68 mph, on that last run against the 2009 GSXR. He fouled by a slight roll during the ambers, ET 11.569 sec at 131.65. He obviously was stretching the lead fast.

The third run (the first forward-facing camera view) was my 11.744 seconds at 121.16 to his 11.253 at 118.73 mph. That's the overbored GSXR 1100 with the slick. He got a good jump at the start and all through first.

This track is at 4000 feet elevation. Traction is variable because the entrance and parking lot are unpaved and sand is constantly being tracked and blown in. My times improved the first few times out but traction has been worse since. I look forward to trying a new tire, and better track prep on a race day.

Here's a road test of a 1999 VMax to show how much faster your new VMax should be: :damn angry:

SPECIFICATIONS
1999 Yamaha V-Max

PERFORMANCE
Fuel mileage: 26 to 39 mpg, 34.0 mpg average
Average range: 136 miles
RPM at 60 mph, top gear: 3820
200 yard, top-gear acceleration from 50 mph, terminal speed: 91.4 mph

Quarter-mile acceleration: 10.87 sec., 124.0 mph
To see how the V-Max stacked up against other muscle bikes in 2002, read this comparison.
Additional motorcycle road tests and comparisons are available at the Road Tests section of MotorcycleCruiser.com.

Latest posts

Back