Drive shaft knocking..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mud_shark86

Reaction score
Tonight I decided to change my oil and after I did, I put the bike up on the centre stand and put it in first gear and then in 2nd to see if it shifted any smoother with the amsoil synthetic.

When I let the clutch out in 1st gear and just let the tire spin, I can hear the driveshaft clunking. Its not bad but its enough to make me worry about it. I can't hear anything driving or notice anything strange. I just heard it with the rear tire off the ground and idleing in 1st gear...

To anyone that reads this, go out in your garage put your bike on the centre stand, start it up and put it in gear and listen! Hopefully you'll hear it too. hahahaha. I just bought the bike and have put 800 kms on. Really wouldnt want the shaft to blow apart and lock up at 130 kms/h... hahaha

Anway thanks for any insights on what it could be. I was thinking universal joint...

At idle speed the pulses cause the shaft to rock. If it stops with just a little throttle, you are OK. You can get a similar result with a chain (chain snatch) if the idle is low.

This post is crazy! Just about one hour ago I was in my garage messing with my bike and I had it on the center stand. I put it in gear with the clutch in and the back tire starts spining slowly, so I let the clutch out slowly and it starts making a clacking/clunking noise. Once I put it on the ground everything is normal...:confused2: Scared the schitt out of me at first, I thought it was the motor knocken lol! I think it's normal..... I hope.

they all do it , even chain drive , its normal ! .. If you put a manual transmission car on a lift , in gear , it does the same thing ! .. Its just all of the play in the entire drive train , loading & unloading , because its just " freewheeling " ! .. if you want to see something cool , put it in 5th gear and rev it up to about 7,000 rpm's and look how much taller the back tire gets ! me and " dannymax " did it last year and we couldn't believe it !

This type of Knocking is due to less then an ideal engine tune. Once you have your engine tuned properly (good carb sync, correct CO values via air fuel mixture screws, etc.) you can shift through all the gears 1~5 @ idle while the rear tire is suspended with no to very little knocking. (By the way the knocking is not the drive shaft its the transmission)

This type of Knocking is due to less then an ideal engine tune. Once you have your engine tuned properly (good carb sync, correct CO values via air fuel mixture screws, etc.) you can shift through all the gears 1~5 @ idle while the rear tire is suspended with no to very little knocking. (By the way the knocking is not the drive shaft its the transmission)

Hey Damon, I got to see your Brown Vmax at the Muskegon bike time. Liking the paint job!

Ok awsome! So now I don't have to worry about spending money on fixing...Just have now worry about spending money on MODS! hhehehe. The list is growing the more I read...

But anyway thanks for the responses. 2fear, it is crazy. We were probably looking at it at the same time. Saying..Oh nooooo..What the heck! lol

Back