Drive train clunk

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanMax

Reaction score
Ive owned my 96 max for for 7 months now. it has 31,000 miles on it and ive put 9,000 miles on it so far. ever sence i have owned it, if i let the clutch out quickly at stops, i hear a clunk. its not very loud but its enough to make me ask you guys about it. it hasnt gotten worse sence ive owned it. i drive it hard, but i never do burn outs, although the occational power wheelie happens, unintensionaly, of coarse. is this normal backlash, or could it be a u-joint? ive listend to the rearend while my bro worked the clutch and thats not making the noise. thank you for your time and knowledge.

Zak

My 86 with 19K does the same thing. I've only had it for 3 months 2K miles though.

ive owned my 96 max for for 7 months now. It has 31,000 miles on it and ive put 9,000 miles on it so far. Ever sence i have owned it, if i let the clutch out quickly at stops, i hear a clunk. Its not very loud but its enough to make me ask you guys about it. It hasnt gotten worse sence ive owned it. I drive it hard, but i never do burn outs, although the occational power wheelie happens, unintensionaly, of coarse. Is this normal backlash, or could it be a u-joint? Ive listend to the rearend while my bro worked the clutch and thats not making the noise. Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Zak

did you ever find out what this noise was?

2001 Vmax with 28,000 miles..... does the same thing. I think it's normal. If I let up the clutch slowly and take out the slack before a burnout, it doesn't do it. I think it's just normal driveline lash.

Vinnie

Im wondering if your final drive has ever been apart and perhaps the spring at the coupler is missing that puts tension on the shaft. So when you get on it, you hear a quick clunking perhaps? Just a shot in the dark, but an idea to check. You should check with Sean Morley of Morley Muscle, he might have some insight to this too......

Back