Dyno run today!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vmaxrooky, I have an old 85 I bought new. Shortly after she was broke in I took her to the track and brought some 105 Octane aviation fuel with me. I was tripping the lights at the other end @ 127 to 131 MPH. I will now post my ET numbers for the first time ever on the forum. My ET numbers was consistently in the high 10's, the lowest ET was 10.88. I brought my tickets showing my times and top speed back home and put them in my locker at work after showing my fellow workers my time slips. I retired in 05 and cleaned out my locker before I left and found my old time slips tucked away in a box, but they were faded and unreadable after 24 years. I have no proof now of what the bike will run the 1/4 mile in and actually came home after the event thinking I had bought a lemon because I could not squeeze out a 10.60 because thats what PeeWee Gleason had turned when he tested the Vmax for Yamaha. If you calculate the numbers I should be making more than Yamaha claims HP to the rear wheel. The bike was almost new when I did my 6 or 7 runs that evening with no mods to the engine. I have never dynoed the bike and have no idea what will show up if I did. It has 17,800 miles on her today and is as fast as it was when I made those runs. Oh, I weighed about 185lbs then and don't consider myself an acomplished drag racer. So if anyone can crunch thse numbers out to give me the HP # that I needed to turn these times, I would appreciate it. Feel free to blast me if you want, but just remember Pee Wee Gleason did it on a stock Vmax back in the day and 2 tenths lower than me......

... I was tripping the lights at the other end @ 127 to 131 MPH....My ET numbers was consistently in the high 10's, the lowest ET was 10.88. ...Oh, I weighed about 185lbs then and don't consider myself an acomplished drag racer. So if anyone can crunch thse numbers out to give me the HP # that I needed to turn these times, I would appreciate it.

damn joe! :worthy:

wikipedia says 631 lbs as the "wet" weight of the bike, used 129mph for the trap speed and 10.88 for the et. 130.97 HP at the flywheel

so i've read the thread up to now, and basically what i've read is vmaxrooky stating that he realizes that the numbers are high and that the dyno run was performed on a technically incomplete setup. it was just a "for fun" run. from what i can tell he KNOWS the real numbers and isn't claiming that the run is The Number. everyone's telling him to calm down, but it appears that he is excited because no one is understanding that he knows the numbers are off.

we all know, that the numbers are gonna vary based on location, setup, and most importantly the equipment. i say that we all make a roadtrip to cali and hook up our bikes to the same machine for "apples-to-apples" runs and then bake in the glory as we strut around like roosters showing off the results to the squids and hogs.

Dam ninjaneer I'm heterosexual but I could seriously FREAKING KISS YOU RIGHT NOW!!!! Im just a stupid steering wheel holder for my profession but dam I'm not brain dead...I take pride in what I own I have bought everything I have... Sorry I'm not gunna take my baby down the drag strip cause I didn't buy her for that I womt tear out off-road with my $40,000 pick-up that's not what I bought her for...my banshee I hammer that thing all day every day... My old 929 I wanted to learn to ride safely and correctly as fast as I possibly could so ya at the end I hammered that thing pretty good... My V-max is like a vintage HOT ROD to me I will play with her once in a while but not gunna purposely hammer on her my kid coaxed me into the dyno yesterday other wise I've never dyno'd before don't trust em....ya I believe the dyno is about 10 off most people and mags dyno out in Cali cause they can dyna and pretty much ride all year so when a new bike comes out in the winter they dyno and then test ride em as soon as they come out... So I honestly think mines close to 125 HP maybe? Maybe not so over this post hate arguing pointless crap with people I don't know.... Moderators please feel free to delete this entire thread... Ill just get info off this forum and won't post any dyno runs any more just get helpful tips from all the cool cats hear sorry for wounding all you folks up..

All I am gonna say is take it to the track & see if the numbers add up.

Take it to the track, as I suggested, I am in-agreement w/The Captain here.

Pipes w/o a good tune to take advantage of the scavenging and better breathing may actually hurt your performance. Look at the Cobra 4 into 4's. They can't be tuned to even equal stock performance!

When dozens of guys on-here are running much-more sophisticated hop-ups than a slip-in filter and some aftermarket cans, and not-make your claimed HP, you have to assume there is something odd about the numbers. You don't need to take offense, you spent $25 and that's the paper they handed you, what-else can you say but, "lookie-here!"

A lot of people would be interested to see your bike's strip performance if you do that sort of thing.

OK I see while I was composing, you said you aren't a drag-racing guy. Just enjoy your ride and if you do anything to it or with it, tell us, and take pics, lots of pics. We all like pics. That's what most of us do who are on here frequently. Good or bad.

Not gunna drag her didn't buy my her for that.... If I get a new bike I may but right now she is just a pleasure bike and my lil sleeper.. I have nothing to prove to any of you guys don't really care what HP she has or what her 1/4 times are.. I don't drag race street bikes or do wheelies on em I have my limitations... Quads and cars and trucks all day I'm not to naturally gifted on two wheels like some people I learned to ride fast safely and it took me 5-6 years to do so most my friends did it in 2 years so I don't push the envelope.. Never done a wheelie on purpose accident yes a few times but not for very long lol nor have I ever done a burnout standing still or rolling... Have drifted in a corner once not on purpose bout crapped my pants on the 929rr I know my limitations and don't try and push the envelope been hurt a few times on my quads and don't wanna even get myself into a predicament on the hard asphalt or concrete... Those of you that can do the said above more power to ya.. Don't think my guardian angel cares for me too much lol....

Its all good no need to leave the forum . Its your bike & you like it that is all that matters just have fun with it & enjoy riding it how you want to. We all like out Max's for diffrent reasons some of us just like the old Muscle bike look & sound & some of us like to really run them.

No no not gunna leave the forum lot of cool cats here.. Just this thread needs to be deleted lol... It's way to wound tight for just all I wanted was an ATTA BOY COOL DEAL... Then people got all wound up trying to disect my (fun) dyno run.. Wasn't doing it for Guinness world record.. Just a fun run.. Like when you were a kid HEY MOM LOOK AT ME LOL....

Dam ninjaneer I'm heterosexual but I could seriously FREAKING KISS YOU RIGHT NOW!!!! Im just a stupid steering wheel holder for my profession but dam I'm not brain dead...I take pride in what I own I have bought everything I have... Sorry I'm not gunna take my baby down the drag strip cause I didn't buy her for that I womt tear out off-road with my $40,000 pick-up that's not what I bought her for...my banshee I hammer that thing all day every day... My old 929 I wanted to learn to ride safely and correctly as fast as I possibly could so ya at the end I hammered that thing pretty good... My V-max is like a vintage HOT ROD to me I will play with her once in a while but not gunna purposely hammer on her my kid coaxed me into the dyno yesterday other wise I've never dyno'd before don't trust em....ya I believe the dyno is about 10 off most people and mags dyno out in Cali cause they can dyna and pretty much ride all year so when a new bike comes out in the winter they dyno and then test ride em as soon as they come out... So I honestly think mines close to 125 HP maybe? Maybe not so over this post hate arguing pointless crap with people I don't know.... Moderators please feel free to delete this entire thread... Ill just get info off this forum and won't post any dyno runs any more just get helpful tips from all the cool cats hear sorry for wounding all you folks up..

I can agree with all of what you said here, your bike definitely runs great and you know your dyno numbers are roughly 10hp high and that's all anyone was trying to say.. No need to delete the thread, it's a good reminder that sometimes things get screwy in the translation of text.. If I offended you I never meant to do that bud... I'd still race it though just cause its so much fun :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Not to cause trouble, but somewhere on here I swear the Sean said that the "normal" Vmax made 115 to 120 hp, but he has dyno'd one that was in the low 130's (all stock) and sometimes the conditions are just right to get those numbers. Sometimes odd things happen.

...... but he has dyno'd one that was in the low 130's (all stock) and sometimes the conditions are just right to get those numbers. Sometimes odd things happen.

That's what I said a while back. It's happened before :)

Don't take your bike to the track. There is this weird chemical imbalance that will drastically change you. Especially if you live close to one. It's worse than bird flu, except it's been known to affect motorcycles too.

First you and the bike will loose some weight, this normally starts around the area your wallet is. On the bike it tends to be more spread out. Both you and the bike's breathing will change, You and the bike will start to breathe deeper.

Your vision will change and stop lights will start to look different and when they change to green the meaning will slightly change. Vehicles, at the stop lights, to the right and left of you will blur and become less important. The only way to quell these symptoms is a return to the track.

All and all, it's kind of like feeding the monkey. Remember being told that if you feed a stray if will never go away? The monkey is just like that. Feed him once and your stuck. He isn't ever going to leave you alone.

.... So if anyone can crunch thse numbers out to give me the HP # that I needed to turn these times, I would appreciate it.

Plenty of calculators here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

Readouts of a couple of the calculators:
Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 800 pounds and HP of 123 is 10.87 seconds and MPH of 123.22 MPH.
Your HP is 122.77 computed from your vehicle weight of 800 pounds and ET of 10.88 seconds

when I put in Gleason's estimated weight:
Your HP is 122.37 computed from your vehicle weight of 750 pounds and ET of 10.66 seconds.

Not sure of the accuracy, but they seem pretty close :punk:

vmaxrooky, I have an old 85 I bought new. Shortly after she was broke in I took her to the track and brought some 105 Octane aviation fuel with me. I was tripping the lights at the other end @ 127 to 131 MPH. I will now post my ET numbers for the first time ever on the forum. My ET numbers was consistently in the high 10's, the lowest ET was 10.88. Oh, I weighed about 185lbs then and don't consider myself an acomplished drag racer. So if anyone can crunch thse numbers out to give me the HP # that I needed to turn these times, I would appreciate it.

This is your numbers at the tire, that's the only way these calculators work is by giving you hp at the tire.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365361849673.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365361849673.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 47
Not to cause trouble, but somewhere on here I swear the Sean said that the "normal" Vmax made 115 to 120 hp, but he has dyno'd one that was in the low 130's (all stock) and sometimes the conditions are just right to get those numbers. Sometimes odd things happen.

THANK YOU SIR... Somebody was paying attention... I also just read the true HP threads in the dyno section so that's why I was like dam get off me kid. Lol... That thread said mostly 107-117 stock add my pipes and minus 10hp on the Cali dyno seemed kinda believable to me? I mean don't jump all over me like I just spilled the milk ask me what set-up how did he dyno stuff like that don't just say nah man that's not believable... Like I got 48-51 mpg last weekend you say no way your lying... Nope I didn't go above 55mph and the tach rarely hit over 4000r slow cruise with wifey... So slow I almost fell asleep lol.... There are many variations to what numbers are pulled where and how... And if you all wanna come out here I got your hotel covered have a toy hauler in the driveway could sleep about six and swimming pool in the backyard just like MOTEL 6 lol.. And do me a favor hit as many dynos on the way out here as you can and ill bet you a 12 pack you'll never see the same number twice on the same bike...

Cool thing about Threads like these.. The BIG boys usually come out to play!!
However, sadly, I am not, lol!!

I brought in my '06 w/4000Kms (not 40,000) to a fella/Tuner. I was told after a GT, I got 105HP and that was with no AirMod and a set of SuperTrapp Cans w/Stock Headers. After a Full set of Jon's SlashCuts, four Jets and still no AirMod w/23 Runs, I got 119.6..
And was told that it was a Beotch to work on..
I was told that a full JetKit would benefit me across the ranges and could pick up an average much as 8Hp more. So that's my story..

vmaxrooky, I have an old 85 I bought new. Shortly after she was broke in I took her to the track and brought some 105 Octane aviation fuel with me. I was tripping the lights at the other end @ 127 to 131 MPH. I will now post my ET numbers for the first time ever on the forum. My ET numbers was consistently in the high 10's, the lowest ET was 10.88. I brought my tickets showing my times and top speed back home and put them in my locker at work after showing my fellow workers my time slips. I retired in 05 and cleaned out my locker before I left and found my old time slips tucked away in a box, but they were faded and unreadable after 24 years. I have no proof now of what the bike will run the 1/4 mile in and actually came home after the event thinking I had bought a lemon because I could not squeeze out a 10.60 because thats what PeeWee Gleason had turned when he tested the Vmax for Yamaha. If you calculate the numbers I should be making more than Yamaha claims HP to the rear wheel. The bike was almost new when I did my 6 or 7 runs that evening with no mods to the engine. I have never dynoed the bike and have no idea what will show up if I did. It has 17,800 miles on her today and is as fast as it was when I made those runs. Oh, I weighed about 185lbs then and don't consider myself an acomplished drag racer. So if anyone can crunch thse numbers out to give me the HP # that I needed to turn these times, I would appreciate it. Feel free to blast me if you want, but just remember Pee Wee Gleason did it on a stock Vmax back in the day and 2 tenths lower than me......

THANK YOU ALSO KIND SIR...! 141.18 THATS AWESOME... Not gunna blast you..You were there its your bike and I wasn't we call that here in Cali a Wednesday bike or car... Heres the explanation pure funny and maybe could be true lol you see on Monday the worker is hung over so his work ain't so good Tuesday he's still a lil groggy and by Wednesday he's all good woke up early his work is top notch... Thursday he's looking forward to payday thinking about bills and such not really paying attention to his work real closely lol and Friday he's thinking about what he's gunna do this weekend and not at all in his work lol... Could it be true? maybe? lol...I've done that work week myself lol...So maybe you and I both got a WEDNESDAY BIKE LOL...

Its hard to say with dyno's. As someone mentioned they are good base points for tuning.

With my race weight and my mph on my bike the calculator comes out to

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 110.38 rear wheel HP and 122.65 flywheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 109.28 rear wheel HP and 121.42 flywheel HP.

Thats a 11.04 @122 mph run.

Stock bike with Marks 4-2 and no air filter.

The bike has a little more left in it. If I launch it better and practiced a little more I am sure I could get it in the 10.90's range no problem. Maybe this year. And if I broke into the carbs and did a jet kit I am sure I could easily run 10.80's with it, maybe faster, who knows.

Not sure how much track time I ll see on the bike this year with the Turbo Busa taking its place. I ll be hard charging at running 8.70-8.90's on that. Once I hit that range maybe I ll take the Vmax out a little and try and get that elusive 10 second time slip LOL.

Anyways, its rare to see a 135 at the wheel Vmax. Not impossible, but rare. Maybe you got the lucky one and if so it should be a easy 10.70's bike with a half decent rider. Thats almost 20 hp more then I have at the rear wheel and I am knocking on the 10.90's door. One squirt down the track with it won't hurt it..... after all thats what they made it for!

Todd

Kjshover and Srk468 had different HP numbers? One had 122.? And the other had 141.? Wow so confusing and so over this post.. Like I said I don't think my number is true might be 10 over bit on the other hand the HP claimed by BMW on their sportsbike is 180.? Stock and a guy dynoed his last year on the same dyno and it ran a 182.? Stock this year same bike same dyno it ran a 179.? So idk and I really don't care my max runs and runs good and she scares me enough and she has nothin to prove to no one it's just a number... Hit 6 dynos with the same bike and don't change anything on the bike and you will NEVER get the same numbers sorry but true...dynos aren't the end all they are a tuning tool....

Just remember to warm it up properly. They make the most HP shortly before they are calling me to ask how much to fix it.

Back