Ebay air shocks??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHVmaxpower

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used these personally? They are cheap for a pair & I know most run progressives but I am on a tight budget & the factory shocks dont do it for me as I am always riding w/ the wife. I will be changing front springs this winter to progressives but would like to change rear also. So if you have used them please any info will be greatly appriciated. Thanks air shocks.jpg

Big no no for heavier loads... Fancy looks but bad works... Some reviews around already. They've got to be cheaper for something. Look for XJR ohlins ones, or GSX1400. Cheapish

Has anyone ever used these personally? They are cheap for a pair & I know most run progressives but I am on a tight budget & the factory shocks dont do it for me as I am always riding w/ the wife. I will be changing front springs this winter to progressives but would like to change rear also. So if you have used them please any info will be greatly appriciated. Thanks View attachment 32267

I'm thinking, crank the stockers up all the way ang go for a ride Wayne. Bring Gina and some gear. The stockers might be ok adjusted up. Do the fork springs for sure. Also the steady rate fork springs might be worth considering. They will be stiffer all the time, and sold per your weight. The Progressive fronts are about as soft as stock for the first inch or so of travel then tighten up quick under load.I like the progressive fork springs for this reason, set at 1 inch of preload.
I've got a couple of good pairs of stock shocks if needed.
Wait for a sale or good set of used after market progressive or Works shocks. I think it was Ron Ayers that had the 440's and a voucher for free Progressive fronts for $159 a couple of years ago. I wish I bought all they had. That deal is rare indeed. $440's are nice, but pricey usually.
Steve-o

You won't get the 440's anymore and they have been discontinued. They are being replaced by 444's which are the next level of shock they just came out with. We have had the first set made though I don't have a picture yet. Price is a little more but not a lot.

We also have the adjustable preload caps too that makes quick adjustments easy to tailor your riding!

Sean

Has anyone ever used these personally? They are cheap for a pair & I know most run progressives but I am on a tight budget & the factory shocks dont do it for me as I am always riding w/ the wife. I will be changing front springs this winter to progressives but would like to change rear also. So if you have used them please any info will be greatly appriciated. Thanks View attachment 32267

Those shocks are another version of the Chinese knock off shcocks. They are light duty type shocks made for scooters and other smaller bikes. I have a similar set on my wife's Radian. They work "ok" for that set up, but the bike weighs 400lbs and my wife weighs 110lbs. I have been searching ebay for a better set of shocks for her bike to replace these.

Mike

These are a new design and are nitrogen filled. I am not going to jump on anything I am going to keep options open I have all winter. so far the progressive shocks seem to be a better option but again it's the $ thing. I am not a aggressive rider (unless w buddies) I am usually w the wife so I am looking for comfort more than handling twisties at a high speed. W both us on bike we feel every bump and Gina only weighs 125,lbs it's me that's all the weight lol.

These are a new design and are nitrogen filled. I am not going to jump on anything I am going to keep options open I have all winter. so far the progressive shocks seem to be a better option but again it's the $ thing. I am not a aggressive rider (unless w buddies) I am usually w the wife so I am looking for comfort more than handling twisties at a high speed. W both us on bike we feel every bump and Gina only weighs 125,lbs it's me that's all the weight lol.

Mine are also Nitrogen filled and look the exact same except for color.

Trust me, they are not going to work for your application. Keep looking on ebay for a good set of shocks. With time and patience, you will find some for a good price.

I picked up 440's new for $150 + shipping off ebay. Dealmonger (seller) had a bunch at one time and a few of us on the forum bought some.

The deals are out there, you just need to be patient.

Mike

Attachments

• Radian 2012.jpg
    Radian 2012.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 34
Mine are also Nitrogen filled and look the exact same except for color.

Trust me, they are not going to work for your application. Keep looking on ebay for a good set of shocks. With time and patience, you will find some for a good price.

I picked up 440's new for $150 + shipping off ebay. Dealmonger (seller) had a bunch at one time and a few of us on the forum bought some.

The deals are out there, you just need to be patient.

Mike

Mike. I been told they look better than they perform. I figured so China made for $100.00 Steveo also got his 440s cheap maybe same place? I will definitely keep looking n hope I'll find same deal.

Given that you are not rushed, why not E-mail Progressive, explain your situation, and have them make a recommendation?
By most accounts, the 412 series are still an improvement over the OEM shocks, and are reasonably priced. The stock length (13") shocks are available in both standard and heavy duty versions. Perhaps progressive would make up a set equipped with an even stiffer spring rate than the h.d. model, if they determine that would better suit your individual requirements.
As for the forks - you won't regret installing aftermarket springs! I switched to Progressives about six years ago. The improvement is amazing! Unlike most folks, I retained the air system, although I modified it to include a manifold and gauge. Even though the Progressive springs stiffen the front end noticeably, I find adding just a few extra pounds of air makes highway cruising more enjoyable, providing the roads are smooth!
Cheers

Last edited:
Mike. I been told they look better than they perform. I figured so China made for $100.00 Steveo also got his 440s cheap maybe same place? I will definitely keep looking n hope I'll find same deal.

keep an eye on dennis kirk. they were the ones doing the 440s for $100 or so a few years back.

Given that you are not rushed, why not E-mail Progressive, explain your situation, and have them make a recommendation?
By most accounts, the 412 series are still an improvement over the OEM shocks, and are reasonably priced. The stock length (13") shocks are available in both standard and heavy duty versions. Perhaps progressive would make up a set equipped with an even stiffer spring rate than the h.d. model, if they determine that would better suit your individual requirements.
As for the forks - you won't regret installing aftermarket springs! I switched to Progressives about six years ago. The improvement is amazing! Unlike most folks, I retained the air system, although I modified it to include a manifold and gauge. Even though the Progressive springs stiffen the front end noticeably, I find adding just a few extra pounds of air makes highway cruising more enjoyable, providing the roads are smooth!
Cheers

Hi miles. I did contact progressive gave them my weight n riding style they suggested me being on a budget the 412s with hd springs $300.00 I may have found them w hd springs much cheaper just waiting on a email. Definitely going to keep options open would really love the 440s.

Yep, we sell them for $215 plus $20 Shipping! hard to beat our price on progressive stuff!

Sean

My max came with the ebay air shocks. They were OK I guess, they were pretty squishy but comfortable for average-to-lighter riders. If you hit them with a pressure washer the paint will blow right off (though mine had a nice blue anodized finish hidden underneath ugly gray paint).

I later tossed them for a pair of stockers in trying to hunt down my speed wobble. Didn't seem to help with that but handling was more confident since the rear end didn't squat like crazy in corners anymore.

Latest posts

Back