Electrical headaches

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WYp8riot

Reaction score
I just pulled my battery off of the charger. It has 13.7 volts and the engine will not turn over.

I had 12.45 volts before adding the oil and it started fine? I tightened the stator/flywheel cover on and added the oil, then charged the battery for a while and tried to start it and it doesnt even turn over?

Whats with this strange issue?

-Paul

Could be a blown main fuse. Check your blue/white wire at the starter solenoid under the seat/over the battery, if it's not plugged in to it's mate, that will happen. If it is, unplug it and ground the solenoid half of blue/white wire, motor should turn over, if it does now, you have a problem between switch and solenoid. It's a low side operated solenoid, grounding the blue/white puts it in operation. The blue/white also runs through the turn signal module. You can jumper that connection with a piece of 12 guage wire and try the button. If it works, you may have a bad module. If not, may be a dirty set of switch contacts in the handle bar box.
Good luck
Paul

I havent checked the fuse yet, but I was told that oil is an insulator and not a conductor so it wouldnt like be grounding out in the cover somewhere.

Assuming that is correct I will be checking the fuse after work today as well as battery. Perhaps it has voltage but not sufficient amps.

-Paul

I really don't think the oil is the issue. Did you take the battery out of the bike to charge it? Make sure that the solenoid control wire is plugged into the switch lead. That's the most likely culprit. Blue/white wire off of solenoid.

I charged it in the bike. Would that make any difference?
I will look into that. Thank you.
-Paul

For some reason I had the impression that the kickstand switch may be the culprit. The bike is at my brothers shop which is down a long (muddy) dirt road and we have had hard rain and a strong hail storm. I hope to get out and take a look today!

-Paul

The bike has had the stator replaced and the R/R. Yesterday the fuse blew that operates the turn signals, tach and temp guage. I replaced the fuse this morning and it didnt work it just blew the fuse again?

What else operates on this fuse? I am assuming one of those has a short or between those and the battery. Any other thoughts?

-Paul

Can ya solder? Solder a couple of wires onto a 1156 light bulb, one on the end and one on the side. Insert the wires into the fuse holder. If there is a short to ground, the bulb will light up and stay lit while you find the short. Once you have the short isolated and unshorted, the light will go out. Saves a bunch on fuses and keeps the circuit powered up so you can find the short. Wiggle the harness and unplug each connector in turn. Eventually you'll find it.

As I just posted elsewhere, a bad brake light switch caused the fuse to blow.

-Paul

Back