Engine noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro.betterley

Reaction score
I have a 1992 max with almost 23,000 miles on it, it has had a tap at idle coming from the back rear bank from the time i got it at 20,000 miles.

It dosent get louder when i rev it, and it hasent got worse after 3000 miles. I have read so many threads on engine noise, and everyone agrees its the nature of the beast

My questioin is how do you know if its normal noise or something to be concerned about?

I have a 1992 max with almost 23,000 miles on it, it has had a tap at idle coming from the back rear bank from the time i got it at 20,000 miles.

It dosent get louder when i rev it, and it hasent got worse after 3000 miles. I have read so many threads on engine noise, and everyone agrees its the nature of the beast

My questioin is how do you know if its normal noise or something to be concerned about?

Good question. These engines are noisey. When I had stock exhaust the noises drove me crazy. As long as I have oil pressure, compression, not running hot, and the bike's well maintained the hell with it.
Steve-o

Last edited:
As long as it dosen't get louder or increase with the throttle I'm satified. My engine had a slight tick since day one when it came off the showroom floor.

It used to bug me, but now I don't give it a second thought. It stayed in the heat range, plenty of oil pressure and power-o-plenty.

My 89 makes a very distinct clatter at idle.. Never gets louder as the rpms come up. I'll eventually try a valve adjustment to see if that helps. Mileage is 35k. The bike runs excellent in all other respects and is much faster than my very quiet 94's engine... Similar Mods that I know of on both bikes. Go Figure...

Back