Engine Q's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the multiple part questions!

I read that the pre-09 models have anywhere between 109 horsepower and 145. That's a BIG difference. What's the actual HP? Did early years have more or less than later years. Could the difference be the Euro versus US models? I read that the earlier European models had less horsepower.

One final thing, cams. My 04 runs REALLY rough at RPMs of 2000 and less then over 2000 gets smooth as glass. Mine is the only one I've come into contact with that has this. Could it have a race cam? How can I tell? Is there a relatively quick way to check the idle jets? Gads, I wish riders would keep service records on bikes :)

Thanks,

Gary

It's 108-115 at the rear wheel. Engine horsepower is about 145 horsepower.

I doubt it's the cams, possible the vboost is unplugged. I wouldn't think that someone would put new cams and you'd only notice a difference down low.

I apologize in advance for the multiple part questions!

I read that the pre-09 models have anywhere between 109 horsepower and 145. That's a BIG difference. What's the actual HP? Did early years have more or less than later years. Could the difference be the Euro versus US models? I read that the earlier European models had less horsepower.

One final thing, cams. My 04 runs REALLY rough at RPMs of 2000 and less then over 2000 gets smooth as glass. Mine is the only one I've come into contact with that has this. Could it have a race cam? How can I tell? Is there a relatively quick way to check the idle jets? Gads, I wish riders would keep service records on bikes :)

Thanks,

Gary

All the pre 09 years have more or less the same HP rating. The Vmaxs shipped over seas had the V-Boost assembly removed so they had less HP.
I'd say your low rpm issue is a carb issue and not anything to do with with your cams. These carbs are notorious for getting plugged jets and they may also be out of sync.

It's 108-115 at the rear wheel. Engine horsepower is about 145 horsepower.

I doubt it's the cams, possible the vboost is unplugged. I wouldn't think that someone would put new cams and you'd only notice a difference down low.

NOW the HP claims make sense!

I know one thing, the Vboost is most certainly, definitely, NOT disabled. I found it out after the first time I hit the boost, and hit 120 before I knew it...
I got home, removed my light colored skivvies and they were proof positive that the boost was working, if you take my meaning :)

Hey, the quickest bikes I owned before that were an 80's Nighthawk 650 and my sainted Magna, so don't laugh.

Gary

Back