Epic bad day!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
Well, I guess all good things must come to an end. Today, uncerimoniously, without any "real" warning, I was handed a pink slip from a job I had for 22 years. Totally out of the blue, whacked upside the head with a sledgehammer, I still can't believe it. Job performance had nothing to do with it, our department cut about 50 jobs and I just happened to be one of the unlucky ones let go. As my director put it, my job position had been "eliminated". There had been discussions over the past few months about some "consultants" coming in.........ie......the "two Bobs" from the movie Office Space, but nobody talked to me, or my manager, I think these cuts came from the very top anyway, and coincidentally, most of the people cut were long termers like me. Anyhoo, I've got a month to sit in the "reassignment pool", to see if there is another job I'm qualified for, and I get paid during this time. Then, I have about 8 weeks of vacation I will get paid for, and then I will get a severance package, I was told it was a little more than 1 week for every year worked, so I won't be hit too hard finanicially for at least 5-6 months. Gives me plenty of time to plan my next move, my wife has been bugging me for YEARS to move back to Kentucky, and in all honesty, this job was really the only thing tying us to Texas. Also have a few ideas in my head about starting an eBay business, a bike shop, who knows. Anyway, it's not every day you lose a six figure a year job, but that's the bad day I had today. I told my wife when I got home that sometimes, shit just happens and you have to make the best of it. I'm sure I will move on and find something else that satisfies me. To be honest, sitting in front of a computer 40 hours a week may not have been my calling, but for all these years, it paid the bills, kept my garage full of kick ass bikes and took care of the family. Now I'll just have to find another way to do it. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding another job in IT if that's the direction I want to go, really, it hasn't even sunk in yet. I'll wake up tomorrow morning and for the first time in 22 years, won't have a job to go to. It's probably going to be a long day. Anybody else have a REALLY bad day today? Let's hear about it! Oh well, at least I still have my family and my health. Things could be ALOT worse! Gotta look on the bright side when life deals you a shitty hand, I'll be a better man for it in the long run!

I feel your pain but my body gave out my "PINK" slip and was force to stop working. I had no choice but I did not have any 'reassignment pool' or vacation days. And while all this was going on I was fighting for my life in a coma. So be glad you have the choice to still work and the means to do so. I know we get into a regular schedule and that is a hard habit to break. I miss working, I loved my job. I got paid to drive and I can drive.
But you will find something you like and do it. And if you pack your bags and bikes up, to come back to Kentucky where in the state would you look for?

Sorry to hear this, but sometimes that little unforeseen kick up the arse is for the best! I hope whatever you decide to do, move or stay, keep in IT or start your own business, works out beautifully and you get to expand your stable :)

I've been having a bad day everyday since getting back here on April 18th: my Vmax had arrived in Oz late Feb, and I was told it would take a couple of weeks to get it through 'compliance' and have it shipped to me. Well, we're now in June and still no bike. Last coupla months we've had glorious riding weather, just to throw some oil on the fire.

I am SO pissed off but like you, I have a roof over my head and ain't starving, so I shouldn't complain, right?

People w/info. tech. backgrounds can usually find work w/o too-much difficulty. I assume you won't have a wage scale of Dallas anywhere in KY but the cost of living has to be way-lower.

I had a female classmate I grew-up with who worked for Xerox for 20+ yrs. & she was let-go in a downsizing, then her husband died. She got work w/EDS with which I am sure you are familiar, living in TX. She travels all-over for them doing training and is happy with her work. She is a private pilot and runs marathons, so though life gave her some challenges, she has made the best of things and has a second career and personal interests which give her things to do apart from the job.

Maybe it's time to try something you have had success with as a hobby, and see if you enjoy it enough to make a go of it as a vocation.

it sucks, also great to see your optimism about the situation!

That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that. Also glad your keeping a positive spin on it. It really could be your chance to start something new tho. I left a job three years ago, voluntarily, after putting in 17 years there. Still in the same field but the move was absolutely the best decision I ever made.
Make the most of it.

I.T. is very employable too tho so if you want to stay doing that stuff you shouldn't have a problem finding work. Houston's got very low unemployment, you could try here. Only down side is its hot as fuck, but regardless of what you've heard the traffics not as bad as Dallas. If your interested holler I'll see if my company is hiring, they seem to hire these guys frequently. Plus they were looking for SCADA/RTU/ HMI/Automation guys for field work on new substations.

Ooo that's a hard hit. My company.was just sold by schlumberger to NOV. ( for those that are in the industrial/ oil business) our management is starting to wonder about their jobs but me being in the grunt position I'm in shouldn't have anything to worry about. I can't imagine being laid off after putting that much time in.

Good luck friend.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

That never feels good Bro. In today?s work place no one can be certain if tomorrow is the day. I've been through it more than once. I did a stint for 9 years in the IT department of ADT Companey. One day they announced they were turning 64 officces into 8, see you all later. The job sucked but the pay and benifits were great.
At the marina, the CEO assured me how happy he was to have me, right up to the lay-off after 5 years. I always seem to go back to wrenching...lol
You settle in after a few years and think you'll retire there. It seems that people making the most money are the first to get cut when times are difficult. There is no company loyalty to workers anymore. My father warned me of this many years ago that things had swung the other way in favor of business.
Best of luck in whatever awaits you,
Steve-o

Ouch! Hate to hear that man. I agree that in your field of work shouldn't be too hard to get another job.Best of luck to you.
Mike

I feel your pain but my body gave out my "PINK" slip and was force to stop working. I had no choice but I did not have any 'reassignment pool' or vacation days. And while all this was going on I was fighting for my life in a coma. So be glad you have the choice to still work and the means to do so. I know we get into a regular schedule and that is a hard habit to break. I miss working, I loved my job. I got paid to drive and I can drive.
But you will find something you like and do it. And if you pack your bags and bikes up, to come back to Kentucky where in the state would you look for?

My wife has family in the Stanford/Danville area, but also some in Cincinnati. We would probably be ooking for something in the Lexington area.

So sorry to hear your bad news. Hope it works out to your advantage in the near future, and you find something even better.

Steve, you're taking the news better than I probably would! Not that I would go postal or anything. If you do come north , Lexington and the U of K area is very nice and good sized progressive town. I got a football scholarship there I didn't take and often have "what ifs" thinking about it. I don't have to tell you about the great riding there. You know we all are thinking and pulling for a good outcome in all this. Will you do us a favor and keep us updated brother!
Come here to vent anytime!!!
PATMAX

Sorry to hear this Tex, It seams like you are coping I went through a similar situation when I lived up in Dallas and thought the world had ended. I am the type that has to stay busy to stay out of my head. It turned out to be the greatest thing that ever happened. My old Boss didnt fire me he set me free. I havent looked back either, I now as you know get to travel all over the country and just play with bikes, bikers, and bike parts.... Follow your dreams now man, RUN TEX RUN!!!

Thanks for all the encouraging words, I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I'm actually looking forward to some time off to catch up on some home projects, maybe do a little fishing, and of course, spend alot of quality time in the garage. I'll make sure and let ya'll know when I'm "re-employed".

I am sorry to hear it as I am in the IT field and have experienced it more than once, but as others stated, this could be a blessing in disguise.
Either way, sounds like it's time to make a lemonade! My only recommendation would be to stay busy, whether it is a personal project, hobby or relocation, keep busy.
Good luck!

I propose a screen name change, reflecting your (soon to be) new state of residence. Out with the old: texas ss tornado

All hail the new: kentucky windage

Lead 'em by enough to make every shot count

Back