Finaly made my breather hose system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did nothing wrong.. Its just that I got tired of velocity stacks on the knees and wanted the scoops front and center. If you want a filter out there its all good.:ummm::biglaugh: Its growing on me.

I was tempted to pull mine apart. Its a barbed plastic T fitting. The breather is by no means tight so Im guessing very little oil gets up there.:confused2:

When riding the the bike my knees cant reach the filter. and the oil cup hose slightly touches my leg with a way that is not tiring.

I hope that it wiil work great.

Whay dont you contact PCW if they can find you Intake carb manifolds they are using in their setup... so you can change the fcr setting and put the velocity stacks under the faux tank. I know you will have to make and another bonding on the carbs because they are connecting to a different angle. but i dont think is something you cant do. I could even go to DR machine friend and make you a copy of the plate that you join the carbs together and send it to you. It is actual a metal one steel plate V shaped with some holes so you can bolt the carbs on it and you have pcw setup.
I will be glad to help you

saw the thread. i would never do that. REDBONE. when you open the throttle carbs suck lots of air. Imagine if oil comes through the crankcase i believe some amount could be sucked in the carbs. air goes up. oil is liquid. there is a gravity issue. i made miy T joint that way if you see my pics that the the SS hose i installed to the crankcase if oil comes out the only way it could go is down (gravity) to the SS hose that is connected to the oil fill cup and all the air will go up through the air filter. I may be wrong but if i made a "small tank" for gothering the oil what will be the point as all the gothering oil will also run back through the oil fill cup!!!! i made about 60 kilometres today just to chech the system the air filter is perfectly clean . and had no issues with oil comming out from there. before i had only the filter connected to the crankcase hose and some oil if i was riding with high rpm would come out. Today .....not a single spot. i didnt have intention to had the filter outsise the bike but wanted to be sure that oil wouldnt come out and be sucked from the velocity stacks of my fcr's cause i dont have filters on them. but if this works in the way it is .....i wont move it at all

You mis-understand the purpose of the hose being connected to the carbs and the whole reason for the breather and catch system.
Having the catch connected to the carbs creates negative pressure which puts a draw on the breather during deceleration to evacuate the blowby and burn it through the engine. Cars are similar except they have a PCV valve to prevent putting pressure on the crank case during acceleration.

Catch cans separate the air and the oil. They let the blow by get evacuated and captured so it doesnt travel through the intake. On a car with modern fuel injection and high intake velocity its not a problem, but with a carbs and lots of blow by it does because you don't want the slides coated in that shit. Thats why the factory airbox captures blowby in a little plastic contraption.

Your design is good, but what will happen is instead of the oil getting captured somewhere it will either drip down the T back into the tank or get blown out of the filter.

I personally wouldn't want blowby in my oil, so i just vent it to atmosphere.

can you be a lttle more precise about the can . i am greek and some thing i dont now how you mean it. you mean i should build a can? instead of the filter

You need to add something like this to your design but user serviceable so you can clean it.

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Indu..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1297456019&sr=1-1-spell

You mis-understand the purpose of the hose being connected to the carbs and the whole reason for the breather and catch system.
Having the catch connected to the carbs creates negative pressure which puts a draw on the breather during deceleration to evacuate the blowby and burn it through the engine. Cars are similar except they have a PCV valve to prevent putting pressure on the crank case during acceleration.

Catch cans separate the air and the oil. They let the blow by get evacuated and captured so it doesnt travel through the intake. On a car with modern fuel injection and high intake velocity its not a problem, but with a carbs and lots of blow by it does because you don't want the slides coated in that shit. Thats why the factory airbox captures blowby in a little plastic contraption.

Your design is good, but what will happen is instead of the oil getting captured somewhere it will either drip down the T back into the tank or get blown out of the filter.

I personally wouldn't want blowby in my oil, so i just vent it to atmosphere.

You need to add something like this to your design but user serviceable so you can clean it.

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Indu..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1297456019&sr=1-1-spell

xmmmm. didnt know all about the pcv valve. interesting info. The catch can i thing is needed if you dont have the extra hose connected to the oil fill cup. i dont thing is possible in my T joint the oil to go up throught the filter when it can go down through the hose connected to oil fill cup. i may be wrong and time will tell. but gravity is my friend.

Hey finally pulled mine off and snapped a pic..

Attachments

• vmaxyup 002.jpg
    vmaxyup 002.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 86
very simple fix goto outerwears get a water resistant prefilter cover for it,,no water issues ...I had them custom made for my Vgas carb stacks..

being currious i cut a catch can in half. i think it was because i had to drill into it to resecure the 2 hoses that go to my carbs. and wanted to get any debries cleaned out of it. the inside of the can has a upper and lower chamber. oil can't get past the lower . and the lower has a drain tube right back into the crank case.and any carb issues i've every had. have not been on the 2 front carbs that the breather lines attatch too.

i doubt the industrial white pvc can has 2 chambers. i could see that let oil blow by.

I wouldnt put it there. The blowby that comes through the breather is so fine that it gets absorbed into the filter initially, after it saturates the filter it will be all over your leg.

Best breather is one that incorporates a catch can, on a bike id use a water separator they put on air compressors.

This exact thing happened to me...and I switched to a catch can set up

That 'how-to' reminds me of how many American & imported cars & trucks used to come w/oil bath air cleaners. They would use steel or another metal for the air-scrubbing media & you would pour oil into the bottom of the filter to catch the dust & contaminants in the incoming air.

That 'how-to' reminds me of how many American & imported cars & trucks used to come w/oil bath air cleaners. They would use steel or another metal for the air-scrubbing media & you would pour oil into the bottom of the filter to catch the dust & contaminants in the incoming air.

I would be careful driving around w/one of these in your vehicle uninstalled, it looks similar to a you-know-what.

Here is a bizarre tale which is 'just another day in Miami.':

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/19/2320113/man-who-abandoned-hearse-and-fake.html

There is a hose coming up from the filler cap, and one coming up from the top of the engine. Is one of these a drain line for the can? If so, which one is the drain?

I got a 2 to 3/4" pvc "T" with the middle a 3/4 threaded inlet. Put a threaded nipple (3/4" threaded end, 1/2" nipple end) in the 3/4 inlet. Got a 2 - 3/4" bushing(reducer) for the bottom end of the "T" and put another 1/2" threaded nipple in the 3/4 inlet. Got a 2 to 1" bushing for the top of the "T". A 3/4" barbed "T" goes in 3/4" heater hose, and this screws into the 1" top end of the "T". I'll come off that with a short 3/4 line and reduce it to 1/2.

The only problem I see with this setup is I probably should have done a 1" "T" and reduced it to two 1/2" lines to the filters. They didn't have the 1", so if I find one somewhere else I may change that.

Instead of glueing the top bushing on, I'm going to use a set screw on each side, and then it will be serviceable.

I liked this setup because everything is prethreaded, there's no drilling and epoxying to come loose. I haven't got the filler material so its not pushed together yet, but it will be much more compact when I get it all pushed together and glued. Then it will sit more upright than in the photo.

Attachments

• RIMG0090.jpg
    RIMG0090.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 36
  • RIMG0091.jpg
    RIMG0091.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 37
Hose from the oil fill is your drain. Hose from between the heads is the vent. Hoses from the carbs create negative pressure in the can.

Hose from the oil fill is your drain. Hose from between the heads is the vent. Hoses from the carbs create negative pressure in the can.

Thanks!

I know this is self explanitory, but just want to make sure. The hose from the oil fill should be connected to the lowest point in the canister.
The existing setup had the hose from the oil fill to the mid point in the canister, but I've found several other things screwed up on this bike. One of the previous owners really didn't need to be working on bikes.

Back