FIRE under seat!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telelinkken

Reaction score
What the ???!!!
I just had a electrical fire under my seat!
Just riding along ( the first time I really got this thing well over a hundred) and the motor cuts out, At first I thought that I was out of gas so I pull over. When I got to a stop I saw smoke coming from underneath me! I get off and see fire under the seat, it took me what seemed forever to get the seat off and I was able to blow it out. the pos. cable to the Battery is totally fried and a component that sits right there on the positive side next to what looks like coils? Can someone please tell me what is going on here?

It looks like your Batt + touched the frame. The OEM rubber cover is there to prevent this from happening. The Batt + cable is really close to the frame and a road incident can bump the battery up and to the side.

A relay.

A good idea to include your bike year & modifications in your signature line so someone has a better idea of your bike, to provide the correct info. This is for 1990-2003 bikes. The 1985-'89 bikes will have 5 leads from the pick-up coils at the left-front stator/rotor, for the ignition. 1990-'07 have only 2 wires, same location.

Click on your name, upper-right to add info on your signature line.

Attachments

• 25858-08e12df39053f2d7ee1821a0be12178e 1990-2003 VMax wire diagram.pdf
    538 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you!
So is it the starter relay?
Replace that and redo the +cable and cover the darn battery and I should be okay right??

A relay.

A good idea to include your bike year & modifications in your signature line so someone has a better idea of your bike, to provide the correct info. This is for 1990-2003 bikes. The 1985-'89 bikes will have 5 leads from the pick-up coils at the left-front stator/rotor, for the ignition. 1990-'07 have only 2 wires, same location.

Click on your name, upper-right to add info on your signature
That advice, that schematic and a fACTORY/SHOP MANUAL will get you
out of the fog about what lerks under the seat and everywhere else on the bike.
Another goog/great idea is to only secure the seat with the release
latches, a quick access just for such situations.

yes, is that manual available here?
There is a link cunningly hidden in the 'Factory Instructions & Manuals' section.
so, is it the starter relay?
No, that sit in the middle between the coils.
If you are referring to the component to the right of the 'L' shaped bracket that is the main fuse.
In addition to the burnt components you will also need to cut back and replace all burnt wiring

What the ???!!!
Just riding along ( the first time I really got this thing well over a hundred) and the motor cuts out, At first I thought that I was out of gas so I pull over. When I got to a stop I saw smoke coming from underneath me! I get off and see fire under the seat, it took me what seemed forever to get the seat off and I was able to blow it out. the pos. cable to the Battery is totally fried and a component that sits right there on the positive side next to what looks like coils? Can someone please tell me what is going on here?
That's super scary as the fuel tank is right there. Glad you're safe!

What the ???!!!
That's the 30 A fuse that appears to be fried. You may have had a partial short which was enough to burn but not enough to blow. A poor electrical contact will get hot when current flows through the joint. If the short was on the battery side of the fuse then it wouldn't have blown. The + terminal wire may have worn through with vibration and shorted the battery to the frame. Always pay close attention to cable routing. Where wires touch the chassis always make sure there is plenty of insulation there because it can wear through with time and vibration. Did you have a battery strap holding the battery down?

Yeah, Thanks guys!
Tha P.O. strikes again!!
The coil mounting bracket was bent down and touching the +batt. terminal, ZAP!!!

He also had the Battery just sitting in there on an old Corona beer coozie?
Always THOROUGHLY check out a used bike, lesson learned (second time)

I believe I have found the fuse on eBay?
I also found the batt. cable!
pin wall cycle parts, AWESOME, they even had the Battery box and hold down!!

Praise God!!!

Last edited:
Pinwall I've used myself, and they give an honest picture of the parts. They aren't cheap, but you know what you're getting, and I've never been disappointed in what they sold me.

Yeah, I would recommend these guys for sure!
A ton of V-Max parts available!!
Mine were very well priced!!!

Back