FIRE under seat!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinwall I've used myself, and they give an honest picture of the parts. They aren't cheap, but you know what you're getting, and I've never been disappointed in what they sold me.
Pinball is also my go to. Fro used vmax parts.

The guy has LOTS of stuff!
He really likes the bike too!!
You could prolly build a whole bike just from parts out of his lot!!!

Okay, I got all my stuff and got her runnin' again!
Yeah!!
But I figured out why he didn't have the battery box in there, the batt he's got STUFFED in that space barley even fits!!!
What battery is supposed to be in this bike?
I got the proper battery box and hold down but there is NO WAY this big honking' batt is going to fit??
Why would he stuff such a huge battery in this thing???

Sean Morley has a thread on fitting a Gold Wing battery into the VMax box, w/a bit of box-surgery. More amp-hr.

The VMax battery is a YB16AL-A2

Alright, this is all making a little sense now.
Big motor, bigger battery!
I just need to hold down this monster that was just crammed in there and took the box out to make room!!
I was thinking about getting the battery that is supposed to go in this stock box that holds it in place?
Am I then going to have power supply issues with a smaller battery??

You don't need a bigger battery.
The battery is there to a) Provide power to start the bike and b) act as a reserve should demand exceed supply.
For the rest of the time it can be considered dead weight.
Provided the charging system is working as intended then the OE battery is more than adequate.
If you need the extra capacity then you either need to fix why it won't fire up or why the the alternator output is below par.

Cool!
Thank you so much!!
Everything is working great except when the batt. moves around and shorts out on the coil bracket and starts a fire!!!
I am going back to stock.

Here is my Idea regarding a battery strap to secure your battery to prevent accidental shorting of the + terminal.unnamed.jpg
14cm is the size battery strap to use. Shorter and you will have to stretch the band risking snapping the plastic lugs which are part of the battery holder. You may have to remove the battery to fit the rear clip then re-instal the battery (Don't forget the breather pipe on the right hand side.) and pull it over the battery and fit to front clip. Carefully check the routing and security of the wiring. Use cable ties if necessary. Don't let wires press against metal edges or they will eventually short. KEEP IT NEAT UNDER THE SEAT.
2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

It could be that my memory is failing me (more) but with the OE battery box in place I don't recall there being a retaining strap or the need for one.
If you are going back to OE then it is helpful to loop a length of seat belt around the battery which will allow you to get it out much easier.
Any spare belt can be rolled up and this will press against the top of the battery when the coil bracket is tightened down.

It could be that my memory is failing me (more) but with the OE battery box in place I don't recall there being a retaining strap or the need for one.
If you are going back to OE then it is helpful to loop a length of seat belt around the battery which will allow you to get it out much easier.
Any spare belt can be rolled up and this will press against the top of the battery when the coil bracket is tightened down.
There is indeed an OEM requirement for a battery strap. As you noted it's not really "needed" most of the time though it will help keep it from jumping up a little when doing those big jumps.

There is indeed an OEM requirement for a battery strap. As you noted it's not really "needed" most of the time though it will help keep it from jumping up a little when doing those big jumps.
My comments are based on a) no recollection of one on my bike and b) not being able to see it on the parts fisch.
If I could be pointed in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Health issues have meant Vmax forum absence for some time, but caught up with this discussion.
My solution somewhat "off the grid", but for interest.
Unusual opener. Our Max has a sidecar, plus hard luggage panniers (cheapo, but sturdy, waterproof, Pelican copy tool boxes).
Anyway, the Goldwing battery fits neatly in one box leaving room for various items when touring. Normal battery space not wasted prov8ding room for anti theft device. Battery easily accessible for maintenance and battery tender connection.
Final thought. My easily accessible battery means no problem to connect all manner of stuff including a booster should the battery require encouragement. This leaves a thought. Should you be out on the road with a dead, or weak battery, how would you provide an externally sourced boost ? On the face of it a problem with access requiring disconnecting ignition coils. Or am I missing something ?

My comments are based on a) no recollection of one on my bike and b) not being able to see it on the parts fisch.
If I could be pointed in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
See attached (2007 fiche though I am sure it's on the other years too). Electrical 2 section.

1695479953240.png

Thanks Sean!
I got all that now (except the overflow tube, it is a sealed batt.)!!
It does not show the actual battery box though (for super thin batteries)!!!

Back