First day with the new steed....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeduckman

Reaction score
Well, in a mere week's time, I've gone from wanting a vmax to looking for a vmax to finding a vmax to buying a vmax to bringing a vmax home to spending my first day with a vmax. Pretty nice progression if you ask me.

I've ridden these bikes before, but for no extended time...just a block or two. This afternoon, I went just over 100 miles. The bike is a carbon 99 (say what you want, I love this color) with 8800 (now 8900 and change). It has progressive 440's out back with progressive fork springs too. UFO seat. OEM windshield and engine guards. Engine, carbs, and exhaust are stock.

I'm coming from a 99 Honda Magna, and like it real well, I was just getting bored with it (and I HATE chrome). Immediately, I notice that this doesn't share the same ergonomics as I'm comfortably with. I haven't had my feet this far back since the college sportbike experiment (ended horribly). I like the way I sit in this thing. It feels more like.....a motorcycle. Now, my hips don't agree with me as I type this, but they will learn to comply.

At first, I have to say I wasn't uber impressed with the getty-up. My Magna hits a "powerband" above 6k rpm, so the vboost felt normal. It wasn't until a few hard pulls that I kinda figured it all out, and yes, this is a different beast than I'm used to. I think the quietness threw me off at first (the Magna is very loud).

Overall....I'm impressed with this bike. I missed a couple shifts from second to third, the tranny is a bit stiffer than what I'm used to. The rear broke a couple times (hehehe) and the front lifted in second once (my mom saw this part and she wasn't pleased). The brakes are great compared to what I'm coming from. Magna has a single disk in front and a DRUM in the back.

One unexpected thing I enjoyed was the steering. Maybe it's all the Progressive goodness on the corners, maybe it's my knees right up against the bike, maybe it's the narrow bars.....but I think it turned well, and behaved perfectly at parking lot speeds.

My only faults at this point are the spedometer and the tachometer. This speedo has to be way off. I accept that all motorcycle speedos are biased to the high side, but I was clicking at 85 on a 70mph highway and barely gaining ground on the cages. Generally, 72 catches traffic on this particular stretch. Also, that tach is borderline useless, and definately a hazard...think I need a shiftlight (any advice?).

One last question, and this seems stupid to ask, but how the hell do you know when you're done putting gas in this thing? The manual says below the neck, but I can't tell where the level is while pumping it in.

I'm tickled with this bike. I've always wanted one, and just never got around to getting it. I should've parked a vmax in the garage at least 5 bikes ago. Looking forward to picking the various brains that hang out here. Thanks for letting me share!

Last edited:
Grats on your new purchase. I like the CF paint too.
I found that I was getting the occasional leg cramps the first season with the stock setup, I had Sean makeup a new seat then went with drag bars and haven't have any cramping since.
As for the shift light I use a Harlan Engineering and it works pretty well. The mount that you get is simplistic and not for me. Tom at Cycle One-off can hook you up with a mount for it. He also sells Raptor shift lights and mount too, but I don't have any experience with that shift light.
As for the fueling, I stand behind then when the pump clicks off I feed the fuel in slowly while lightly "bumping" the bike to get the max fuel in it. Every extra bit of fuel counts with a tank the size of the Vmax's.

Congrats on the Max , its good to see you finally come to your senses after 5 bikes . Any pics of "The Legend" ?

It's been more than 5....I wasn't ready for one early on. My first bike was a CBR 600. I was young, wild, and didn't think I could get hurt. I didn't, the bike wasn't so lucky. Since then there was a cb900, vtx1300, Sabre, Magna...and now the max. No pics yet, too busy riding.

As for the fueling, I stand behind then when the pump clicks off I feed the fuel in slowly while lightly "bumping" the bike to get the max fuel in it. Every extra bit of fuel counts with a tank the size of the Vmax's.

Ahhhh...I wasn't aware that I could stick the nozzle into the filler tube and expect it to click off. That should simplify matters. I was all hunched over filling it up to the best of my ability by hand. Thanks.

Ahhhh...I wasn't aware that I could stick the nozzle into the filler tube and expect it to click off. That should simplify matters. I was all hunched over filling it up to the best of my ability by hand. Thanks.

Also read somewhere here that if you fill up while on the centrestand you will get 50 kms more per tank , havent remembered to do that to try it out tho yet .

Happy and safe riding :punk:

It's been more than 5....I wasn't ready for one early on. My first bike was a CBR 600. I was young, wild, and didn't think I could get hurt. I didn't, the bike wasn't so lucky. Since then there was a cb900, vtx1300, Sabre, Magna...and now the max. No pics yet, too busy riding.

v65 sabre or shadow sabre? how was your 100 mile trip and have you seen how far you can go on that tank?

I have a raptor shift light from COO along with his mounting bracket. Good product & works well although I had to tweak the bracket to get a better viewing angle (see attached). This winter I installed a Dyna 3000 ignition mainly for the rev limiter.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 28
Just insert the pump in the neck fill til in clicks off then pull the pump so its just in the neck and top it off slowly. i fill mine up into the neck of the tank. once you fill it a few time you get the hang of it and with the huge tanks(lol!) on the max's you get alot of practice. congrats on the new ride!
Chris :punk:

v65 sabre or shadow sabre? how was your 100 mile trip and have you seen how far you can go on that tank?

v65 Sabre...it started me on the v4 kick. It was a little junky, and I got it running decently, then doubled my money with it. Only put 2-300 miles on it. The 100 miles I did yesterday was broken up. It had winter fuel in it still, so I stopped and filled it back up after 50 miles or so. I haven't the slightest idea how many miles I'll get. I was on mostly country backroads, and didn't want to find reserve w/o knowing what to expect.

same with these guys, i usually put the whole nozzle in and wait for it to click, then i slowly watch it until it gets to the base of the neck. viola...

+1 on the harlan shift light as well. i have an oem flyscreen that i tinted so the mount that comes with it works well (also had a spare speedo cover didn't mind drilling and then rattle can'd it flat black)... i can get some pics if ur interested.

Back