First problem with my Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
Hey guys I got my 86 about 2 weeks ago. I had to put on a new tire and had an exhaust leak and the brake lights didn't work. While I had the bike up on the stand and waiting for the tire to ship I figured I would drill the exhaust. I just drilled the five 1/2" holes nothing in the center. I took off the seat and faux tank ran down the problem with the brake lights and got them fixed and had the battery on the charger.

While I had the exhaust off I cranked it up and listened to it purr a couple of times. Yesterday after I got the exhaust and the tire on I cranked it up and let it run reset the idle to about 900 from about 5 or 600 according to the tach on the bike and that was it. This morning I cranked it up for my first ride and it cranked up with the choke sat and idled nice soon as I gave it gas it bogged and died. Cranked it again and it idles but dies when I give it throttle. Will rev up to about 3000 with the choke on but give it gas and it bogs.

Question is what the Hell did I do? When I got the bike I never rode it on the street (back tire was scary bad) but I did ride it in the yard and twisted the throttle a few times and it ran great. The way it's running now it seems really rich and that seems odd to me since I drilled the exhaust.

Any ideas would be great.
Thanks
Duke

Ya it sounds like way too much air, it's what happens when you try running without the airbox. Check that the airbox and all carb boots are tight.

Money in the bank that's what you guys are. Although I didn't mess with the airbox sure enough all four of the rubber sleeves were up off the carbs.

Once I fixed it it still ran like crap and smoked like hell until I got it warmed up.

Is that normal?

I'm thinking there was some old gas. I put in some Lucas fuel cleaner and some fresh gas. Once I got it warmed up I got my first ride WOW!!!

Thanks alot
Duke

Ideally a motor should never smoke, as in burn oil. If you mean a bit of steam shot out of the exhaust at startup, that's normal from condensation settling in there as it cooled from the previous run. I get that in humid weather or cool mornings, it all burns out within maybe 30 seconds or so.

drain the float bowls. then turn on the key a few times till they fill back up.
you might have some moister sitting in the bowls. ( takes about 5 min, all 4 carbs)

drain the float bowls. then turn on the key a few times till they fill back up.
you might have some moister sitting in the bowls. ( takes about 5 min, all 4 carbs)

Great idea, but make sure to collect the old fuel into a white or transparent recipient - it'll allow you to see if there was any crap in there!

Also, another brilliant idea (on any old bike) is to replace the fuel filter, it's under the seat just above the tank.

Back