First Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithben1983

Reaction score
Hey guys just got my first vmax yesterday... kinda sucks as i live in Minnesota and can't ride it yet but man i am pumped for the first ride! its a 1997 it has a shift light and supertrap pipes.. this is only my 2nd bike so i don't really under stand the pipes and what they do. where would a guy start with moding it out and what not? I am very overwhelmed with all this so far... lots of old info mixed with new from what i can tell. any tips?

shift light and pipes? just ride it! have fun man and save up for tires.

Quote: "where would a guy start with modding it out and what not?"

Ask fifty Maxxers that question and you will get one hundred answers! :ummm:

What to do really depends on what floats your boat and how much time and money you have to invest.

If you go through the site with a fine tooth comb and see what others have done, look at as many pictures as you can and look at the aftermarket vendors sites you will start to get a feeling for how you want yours to end up.

It then comes down to cosmetic or functional mods. The former you can do whist the bike is laid up but wait until you have a few miles under your belt before yo start on the second.

That way you will base you changes on personal experience rather that of other folks preferences.

Whatever you choose to do there are plenty of folk who are happy to give their two penneth here.

I guess some guys here have been modifying their bike for more than 10y :punk:
More you stay here more you will see the potential of that bike.

I will say the only limit is the money you have on hand or your skills in machining and mechanic.
How knows, you might end up with a surpercharged v-max and a 200+ radial tire sooner than you think :rofl_200:

There's a great thread here about it:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=167

The first thing I did is put in Progressive fork springs. You will be able to turn with confidence AND go over railroad tracks without losing fillings out of your teeth. Like the man said, get yourself a stack of rear tires and hit the road!

Welcome to the VMF.

Since this is only your second bike, ( I've had 36 ) I would just ride it before deciding anything, It has enough power to scare the hell out of you as is. Once you get some riding experience with it you'll know where you want to proceed with mods. Use caution while you're learning the bike and attempt new things cautiously.

BTW, What was your first bike?

Good Luck

Welcome to the VMF.

Since this is only your second bike, ( I've had 36 ) I would just ride it before deciding anything, It has enough power to scare the hell out of you as is. Once you get some riding experience with it you'll know where you want to proceed with mods. Use caution while you're learning the bike and attempt new things cautiously.

BTW, What was your first bike?

Good Luck

first bike was a 1983 Suzuki gs 1100. it was fun nothing like this though! also thank you everyone for the tips so far, they are great!

One thing you know or you'll find out about the Vmax is that there are not a lot of them. I suppose that is a big factor why some find their way to the Max or maybe it's just the reputation of being a bad ass bike!
Whatever your motivation was to get the Vmax one thing is to take your time to learn your bike, what are it's strengths, weaknesses and then look to ways that you can improve it. On this site you will read and see many different variations of what each owner's idea on how to make the Vmax be the best it can for them. Take the time to get to know your bike, your abilities and then work towards making both the best they can be. This is a highly personal process that most who go through this will feel a intense feeling of loyalty for your Vmax and join the rest of us in a ever evolving quest to refine it.

Your GS was a pretty fast bike to start on. The VMax is faster though and gets a little hairy at 6,000 rpm and up in the lower gears. If it's set up right that is.

I bought mine as a restoration, resale bike. Then I fell in Love with it and the deal fell through to ship it to Japan. Now I have 2 and wouldn't hesitate long to buy another, should a real deal pop up.

One of the first mods you should do is check / fix the O-Ring on the main oil pipe, in the pan. If for no other reason than Peace of Mind. Also known as the Dreaded O-Ring....

Good Luck....

Like you've already heard, when it comes to modifying, your only restricted to your wallet and imagination.

Some people want to use thier max for touring...
vmaxtouring.jpg

Others want to use thier max as a boulevard thumping, musclebike....
p10301511.jpg

Some even want to go adventuring....
vmaxenduro.jpg

While others blister the quarter mile...
garysvmax.jpg

As you can see there are many ways to mod a max, these are just a few. The main thing is be safe and have some fun with it. :punk:

I rode my 1985 Vmax for 19 years, the only mod I did was Super-Trapp exhaust to make it loud. Keep up on oil changes and good tires and ride, you will figure out what you feel needs to be changed and what you can live with after you put some miles on it. When you do, all the info is on this site.... Welcome to the site, and enjoy your new ride. We like to see pictures so post some up:punk:

WOW! sweet pics! i said, whattttt! to like all of them! so it was about 40? today the snow was all off the roads for the most part and I got to get out and ride it!!! wow what a bike i had so much fun can't wait till spring! The handle bars wobble kinda bad if not holding them, worse than my gs 1100. But comfort wise thing thing fits me like a glove!

Here are some pics of it!

vmax4.jpg

vmax3.jpg

vmax2.jpg

vmax1.jpg

looks great!

Do a search for the "bounce test" a good ol tightening of the steering head might fix up your shimmy, or it might be as simple as a cupped tire that needs replacing.

Welcome...you've found the best Vmax community and resource on the planet. If you haven't already, cruise through the different forums and read the "stickys" at the top, lots of FAQ's and such are answered. You've got essentially the same bike as me...a silver '97.

Here's some suggestions...as others noted you can mod your Max about any way you want, and nobody can really choose that but you. Here's some tips that apply in general.

1. Go to vmaxoutlaw.com and download the pdf of the service manual. It'll be your best buddy, and it's free. Detailed instructions on everything, loads of photos, wiring diagrams, and enough specs to make your eyes cross.

2. Common/known issues:
- Low Voltage:
Get a voltmeter and check your battery voltage. Vmax's are notorious for crappy charging systems, many people here have fought with charging issues and low voltage/slow cranking. Voltage at idle should be no less than 12.5 (bare minimum). Voltage at 3000 RPM should ideally be 14.4, but no less than 13.5. Any less and you'll want to fix it before it gives you problems down the road. See the "electrical" forum for loads of info on that and how to fix it.
- Starter Clutch:
If your starter "misses", as in the starter spins but doesn't crank the motor, or sounds like a "bag of rocks" as you crank it, your clutch ring may be loose. If you fix it soon, it might just be loose and not broken. Wait too long and it will go from loose to broken, and they're rather expensive to replace.
-Shift Segment
This is a little drum that lives behind your clutch. The foot shifter acts like a ratchet on this drum lined with pins, rotating it one way or the other to change gears. Older models(02 and prior I believe) have the "old" style, which has flimsy metal fingers holding the pins in. The fingers can bend, allowing the pins to fall out and you to "lose" gears. They fell out on my '97 at around 15,000 miles, others have 100k+ and have not had an issue with it, so luck of the draw? The new updated part has captive pins as part of the drum, they can't fall out.
-The oil pan o-ring.
This is an elbow that's held in place by the oil pan, which carries pressurized oil. Due to a generally poor design, and less than perfect fit, the elbow wiggles out a bit and allows the o-ring to bulge out the side, which can leak oil pressure back into the pan. Some have attributed catastrophic engine failure to this, others say it's no big deal unless the motor is run in extreme (modified racing) conditions. Some modify it with a new o-ring and add a clamp or wire to hold it in place better for peace of mind. Your call.
-Wiggle/wobble in the handlebars, especially at high speed
Another common issue. Lots of things can cause it, but typically the culprit is worn/loose steering head bearings(bearings between the fork assembly and the frame). They can be adjusted with a 1 1/16" end wrench, a flat screwdriver, and a hammer. Search for more info, look for "bounce test". Worn or under-inflated tires have also been linked to this.

3. You won't need it for a while, but install a manual fan switch. I don't know why bikes do this, but the stock thermo-switch doesn't click the fan on until the motor is practically overheating. Installing a manual switch for the fan is a popular mod to turn the fan on sooner(i.e when you get in traffic) to keep the temp lower. I see this as a mod absolutely everybody should do.

4. As twistedmax noted, Progressive springs are excellent and another popular mod. You'll get a better overall ride and improved handling.

5. Tires. The two most popular tires here are the Metzler ME880 Marathon(good traction, decent life, kinda pricey) and the Shinko Tourmaster (super sticky, shorter life, cheap). Most run the stock front size (110/90-18), many go one size larger in the back. Stock is a 150/90-15, but a 170/80-15 fits in there just fine and gives you a bit more hook-up, something the Max desperately needs. Those numbers decode to: (width in mm)/(aspect ratio %)- (rim size). 90 means 90% ratio, meaning the tire's profile is 90% as high as it is wide.

6. Search function. This site is huge, and there's archives for years back. The search button at the top of the page can dig up all sorts of info. If you have a question, it's a good idea to try a search first, chances are it's been asked before, and there's already an answer waiting for you. If not of course feel free to ask away and there's loads of people here .

7. Sean Morley (one2dmax). This is your other best vmax buddy. He's your go-to guy for all things Vmax. He can help you with about any mod you can think of and get you commonly needed OEM parts fast and at a great price. He also offers a parts exchange, "try before you buy" service on some parts. Check out any of the rotating banner links at the top of the page for great Vmax sites also, or see the "Vendors" forum. Advice and answers to your vmax questions are always fast, and always free.

8. UFO (planetvmax.com). Avoid. Far too many people have had far too many bad experiences with the proprietor of this business, and I highly doubt anybody here would recommend it.

I have seen 97 Maxes with both natural aluminum and black painted wheels, was this an option? Or was this the point where they began painting all the wheels?...........Just curious..............Tom.

Just two things,
Dump that tool pouch off of the front forks and as said before---- a bounce test and bearing adjustemnt will fix any wobbles.
Lew

Well thanks again so much help already! so I really wanted to store the bike in a heat garage, mine is not heated and the bike has always been stored inside so well the fianc? was at work....
vmaxlivingroom.jpg

She handle it great just laughed and said so we don't get to have an xmas tree this year.

the first day it smelled in the living room but now its doing better and tips for helping with the smell?

Well thanks again so much help already! so I really wanted to store the bike in a heat garage, mine is not heated and the bike has always been stored inside so well the fianc? was at work....
vmaxlivingroom.jpg

She handle it great just laughed and said so we don't get to have an xmas tree this year.

the first day it smelled in the living room but now its doing better and tips for helping with the smell?

love it! febreeze?

Back