Fixing a leaking fork seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ That definitely works some of the time.
It all depends on how bad the Seal really is.
I tried that on my leaking fork seal a few months ago (I borrowed one of those tools from a neighbor), it worked for about a week then it started leaking again.
So I just went ahead and replaced the seal.
It was 10 years old so I figured it was due.
Some people have stated that they used a tool like that and didn't have to change the seal.

I had one that started to leak. Used the Seal Mate tool as per the video and no leaks. I did have to do it a second time as the first round appeared to still be leaving a slight oily film behind. It may have been fine, but for the additional couple of minutes to it again, it was worth it. It is worth a shot to at least give it a try.

Todd

As stated, it depends on how serious the leak is but sometimes these things can be a $5 miracle tool! I used one on my FJR (which has a pretty complex front fork system) and it worked better than I had ever hoped.

Both sides on my '96 were leaking....of course I couldn't find my Seal Mate....so I made one from a plastic bottle that was in the shop and that slowed the leaks down considerably.

Had to pump and wipe several times but eventually there was only a slight film on the inner tubes. Certainly good enough for the rest of the season and I'll rebuild them this winter.

Yep, they do work but not all the time. I do have some of these tools on hand for sale.

For some reason I had to slide my seal up the tube to get the tool in good.The leak did stop for a bit, but I ended up changing the seals not long after.And, To OEM seals this time, they're worth it.

For some reason I had to slide my seal up the tube to get the tool in good.The leak did stop for a bit, but I ended up changing the seals not long after.And, To OEM seals this time, they're worth it.

Yes, you do need to slide the dust seal up out ot the way in order to get at the oil seal.

Actually, I look at a 'Seal Mate' fix as a temporary thing anyway. If all of a sudden you notice a little oil on the inner leg, and fix it with the tool, fine....but if you have a long term leak, like my '96 with oil all over the calipers and everything, then you more than likely have dirt & crap in the oil and the forks should be rebuilt at the end of that season.

The bottoms of the outer tubes can get really nasty just from the graphite residue from the slides & guides (or whatever that gray material is) and periodic rebuilding should be performed anyhow.

i've heard the same as these guys, piece of dirt? probably will fix it.. bad seals? probably not.

was going to try this on the hawk but went out one morning and there was a puddle of fork oil on the ground. past the 'seal mate' point in my book.

as stated can work well, in a pinch you can grab some wire and run it around the fork/seal, if it is a chunk of dirt will help dislodge it, more of a mot-x trick.

worth the coin to keep one around in the garage

Back