Florida Vmaxer's and Daytona Beach....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd, Last time I was down in Florida, I had so much fun riding the twisty roads thru the mountains...

Wait, that was in the '60s...

Don't remember much of the '60s, All seems to have a sorta purple haze over it... I think it was the roads that were so windy ...

My mis spent youth...

I am starting to think maybe the 14th weekend to arrive. Hit the last day of Daytona and then have everyone leaving the area, maybe it will free up the place a little?

Todd

Fri & Sat the last week of Bike Week are the best days. The Daytona 200 is then and the national flat track event is also held then, which is always a good show. The pits at the flat track have most of the national campaigners there, and you can run around and see and speak to the riders and the crewmembers.

During the day you can see all the vendors at the area in-front of the racetrack, a good time to see all the major manufacturers' displays and to do testrides. You can buy everything from clothing including all-sorts of leathers, including 1 and 2 pc. suits, jackets, coats, pants, gloves, helmets, mounts for gps, phones, Hero cams (and Hero cameras!), you-name-it.

I don't spend much time on Main Street at night, because I've done it nearly two dozen times in the past, but it's a great place to people watch. Places like the Cabbage Patch, Destination Daytona (a huge H-D dealer) and I forget the name of that place in Holly Hill that has a big dev't. for the week, it's mostly H-D's but one guy who was on here was a worker there, and said, "when you get there, ask for me and I'll get you good parking and a drink!".

The Rat's Hole show has a lot of different bikes of all-sorts, and you just might find the bearded guy in the beret next to you, admiring all the bikes on display, is Willie G Davidson as I did one year, and that was after I got done talking w/Ron Finch, whom I know from MI and as a member of The Hamsters, is a recognized innovator in bike-dom since the 1960's.

Wherever the classic bike auction is being held, it's worth-it, because there are actually some good buys to be had. Last time I attended, the prices for British vintage iron seemed to be very reasonable for restored, refurbished bikes, while the older Japanese bikes seemed to have a lot of owners who seemed to be hoping to retire after they sold their 1973 Suzuki 750 'Water Buffalo,' or a Yamaha DT-1/250, or maybe a TZ700/750 roadracer. One interesting BMW (a 'flying brick'-a K-series laydown 4), I saw was a special w/hand hammered aluminum bodywork, you're not gonna see yourself across the intersection riding that!

I used to stop-in at Boxenstopp Daytona for the other guys who also stopped there, to see what people were doing to their bikes, to drool-over the Gen II's people dumped another $10K into for carbon wheels, Brocks this & that, and etc...

Joe Raulf, the owner of Boxenstopp's Daytona Beach, has been fighting for his life after a horrible accident. Here is a quote from his web page:

Joe is in the hospital with a life threatening severe infection of his lower leg for which they had to amputate his lower leg on October 1st. It is touch and go at the present time and if he shows sign of improvement everything shoud be OK. If infection can't be brought under control they will have to amputate his
leg above the knee to save his life in the next day or so.
You can leave email and we will get the messages to him but no one will be in the shop to answer the phone and no work can be performed for an unkown period of time.

A sad state of affairs. Joe has been a big supporter of the VMax community in FL and elsewhere, and it would be good if someone who was closer could check on the most-recent developments.
Here is a site w/more info on Joe: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/5cTHa
The blue metalflake bike is Joe's. Joe and Andrea are good people, they always had a bar-b-q at the shop, and then had a Sat lunch ride, last year was to Deland Airport, where I got to ride w/a certain LEO from the VA area who has a 1500+ cc motor.
That's Andrea Raulf standing on the right of Nicholas Cage in pic #1, Joe's bike, and then an important place to visit when in Daytona in #3.

Attachments

• 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 107.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 107.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 108.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 108.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 115.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 115.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 30
I would be that Guy who worked at the unknown place in Holly Hill!!!
For the last 15 years, the entire time that I was the editor of the VBoost Magazine for the VMOA, I have said both in the magazine, here on VMF and on the VMOA website, that anyone who showed up at the "World Famous Iron Horse Saloon", which is in Ormond Beach, about 2 miles south of Destination Daytona on US-1, and asked for me WetSteve (Steve Jasse) that I would buy them a drink and find a place to park in the Saloon... I am one of the Night Managers at the Saloon and I have been at the Saloon for almost 20 years!

Over the years I have kept my word and any VMax rider who found me got a free drink or two and if they texted me a little before they arrived I would make room for their VMax.... I have even gone so far as instructed my Entrance security and bike parking crew to put all VMaxes up front by the Office!

This offer will stay in effect as long as I am still at the Saloon.....
"It's More fun that any person should be allowed to have with their clothes on" And it's always free.... No Cover no matter who is playing on stage... and between 4pm and 5pm, in an IHS beer mug, you get ALL the draft beer you can drink or want to drink.... FOR FREE!

As of right now I am planning on going to Daytona the morning of the 14th and spend a good part of the day there. Have to head back out of town on the 15th.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That first Saturday is usually the VMOA gathering at Boxxenstopp but Raulf had some big time health issues. Not to mention the state of the VMOA and its current state. That don't mean Maxxers can't organize a ride, lunch gathering, impromptu burn out session.

Joe is doing a Cookout this year on Saturday the 15th at noon.
Some are gathering at Piranhas Bar & Grill Thursday the 13th at 7pm.
And a few of us are staying at the Holiday Travel Park in Bunnell, FL just north of Daytona.

Looks like I'll be going up with a group on Thursday and probably again Friday on my own to hopefully meet up with Todd and other Vmaxers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I ll be leaving for Daytona on Tuesday morning. Stopping in KY and dropping my truck off at my cousins and then riding from there. I ll be hitting the Dragon on the way down if all is well. I might do a little more adventure riding since I have an extra day, not sure yet.

Todd

Just to let you guys know todd is alot of fun and his wife kris is even more fun . Well if your not on bike. Both great people and alot of to do diner and party with. Wish I could be with you guys. Do it up my way and have a great time. Kris give toddler a little slack and enjoy.:biglaugh:

Give us a shout when you get up there Kyle maybe we can get together. It'd be good to see ya.

I think im gonna skip it. I have not been getting to ride In the last couple weeks so I just want to go on a good ride and not deal with the traffic in daytona since I cant afford to stay the night. I think tuesday or wednesday I might just ride out to mt dorra and sorento and check out sone old stomping grounds like the oasis

Some good links here. Daytona is a lot of fun, great people watching, lots of interesting bikes of all-kinds, plenty of events, from bike shows, to the great sales at many events on everything from swap meet used parts to the distributors and manufacturers who set up in-front of the Speedway, a great place to get quality helmets, jackets, accessories, even have new tires mounted. The classic & collectible bike auction has everything from elderly American iron to -ex race bikes, the British stuff was selling for less $ that it would cost you to refurbish one yourself last year. I saw some pre-WW II American stuff selling last year for mid-$20's to quite a bit more, there seemed to be a lot of interest & people willing to spend for them.

Maybe I'll see some of you up there, but if I go I'm probably not gonna be on a VMax this year. I'm gonna try to make it to Boxxenstopp's for the Sat. lunch ride, assuming they have one again.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/os-daytona-bike-week-2014-20140307,0,5863663.post

Back