fork psi?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmioton

Reaction score
I'm having some challenges getting my 88 vmax to the right settings. i'm 6'1" 165# and have no idea how I'm supposed to set the rear shocks. What are the 1-4 settings on the rear shocks for? Also, what is the correct psi for the front forks?

Thanks guys!

Those numbers are for Rebound Damping.
1 is least, 4 is most.
Recommended is 1-2 solo riding, 2,3 or 4 for passenger or luggage, 4 for passenger AND luggage. Or just put it on what feels good to you.

Fork air pressure should be 5.7-8.5psi for solo or up to 14psi for passengers and luggage.
A lot of people use Progressive springs and no air.

On the bottom of the shocks are pre-load adjusters which I can't move, but I am putting on new Progressive 412s so I don't have to worry about that. :)

Those numbers are for Rebound Damping.
1 is least, 4 is most.
Recommended is 1-2 solo riding, 2,3 or 4 for passenger or luggage, 4 for passenger AND luggage. Or just put it on what feels good to you.

Fork air pressure should be 5.7-8.5psi for solo or up to 14psi for passengers and luggage.
A lot of people use Progressive springs and no air.

On the bottom of the shocks are pre-load adjusters which I can't move, but I am putting on new Progressive 412s so I don't have to worry about that. :)
The bottom '' preload " can be adjusted as well, although some times challenging to turn. Put it on the center stand, find a blunt object that fits SNUG into the holes of the lower shock cup, a spanner wrench if you have one ( I used an allen wrench, short end ) and turn. 1 is the softest and 4 is the stiffest. My bike is an 05 and they turned really easy.

I'm 170p with gear.
Run stock (1991) rear shocks on "2" by myself and "3" with the wife.

If I remember right -book sais 5.7 psi-14 max in the fork but it's too much for me.
I run 5 psi in the forks with plenty of ground clearance.

Man you guys are all so light (in weight that is)....makes me wanna shed a few pounds to get faster.

I will make you feel better, on a good day I'm in the 280 lb range. There now you can feel better!:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I'm 6' 200# and I keep my front fork psi at 12-14. The less "bounce" in the front end, the less wobble I have. Keeping the front end stiff seems to dramatically increase the handling. But I know I still need to adjust/tighten the head bearings... And the rears stay on 1.

I have not used any air if the forks we have built in years. The pressurized air only puts bubbles into the fluid which will cause a deterioration in effectiveness as you ride.

Sean

Call me crazy, but I'm 6' 200# and I keep my front fork psi at 12-14. The less "bounce" in the front end, the less wobble I have. Keeping the front end stiff seems to dramatically increase the handling. But I know I still need to adjust/tighten the head bearings... And the rears stay on 1.

I'm 5'7", 225 geared up, and I went to progressive springs -1, no air and braided lines after I nearly ended up in someones trunk with the wife from 40 mph , 1 month after getting my Max.

No wobble, and I've pegged the speedo on a good day.

my-86.....if you stiffen up the rear that will also help with the wobble and the high speed weave. 1 is way too low for your weight....you should stiffen the springs up and adjust/play with your rebound.
You can't fix one end and not the other.
With your stiff forks and loose rear your tail probably dances under power when changing lanes?

My 5 cents for you.

Latest posts

Back