Frame Powder Coating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shicks16

Reaction score
Just want to get some info of how people have powder coated their frames in the past, i want to get my frame done in the next year or so when i decide to pull the motor out. i was curious what people have done with the VIN number which is stamped into the frame, i am no expert but wouldn't the powder coat fill in the letters and they wouldn't be visible any more. i don't know what the laws are here in Canada but i am pretty sure the VIN needs to be legible.

Just want to get some info of how people have powder coated their frames in the past, i want to get my frame done in the next year or so when i decide to pull the motor out. i was curious what people have done with the VIN number which is stamped into the frame, i am no expert but wouldn't the powder coat fill in the letters and they wouldn't be visible any more. i don't know what the laws are here in Canada but i am pretty sure the VIN needs to be legible.

I'm sure it could be taped off

It doesn't completely fill the letters but they aren't easy to read.

Note that you will probably also loose the plastic VIN plate once it has been shot blasted and / or been in the oven.

Why not consider having it painted with a two pack paint?

There are a huge range of colors, it's just as durable and (IMHO) looks better.
Additionally you will be able to mask the stamped numbers and the VIN plate will stay intact.
Should you scratch or damage the paint this can easily be re-finished which you can't do when powder coated.

I have had both methods on my frame and the paint wins every time

Back