Front fork clamps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
I included a picture that got my attention. I found this pic and write up on a website and I'm wondering if anybody ever tried this mod and have any opinions on it. We all know that the front suspension, in it's original factory set up is not perfect. My 2006 has the valve emulators, an aftermarket fork brace, progressive fork springs, 20wt fork oil, furbur fix and the forks lowered 1.5" in the threes.

I'm still not a 100% happy with the handling of the front end and I'm considering putting inverted forks, but the cost is very high and not sure if it's worth it - any opinions on inverted forks would be good too.

This "Carl's Clamp" maybe worth a try?

Attachments

• Carl's clamp.jpg
    Carl's clamp.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 73
I included a picture that got my attention. I found this pic and write up on a website and I'm wondering if anybody ever tried this mod and have any opinions on it. We all know that the front suspension, in it's original factory set up is not perfect. My 2006 has the valve emulators, an aftermarket fork brace, progressive fork springs, 20wt fork oil, furbur fix and the forks lowered 1.5" in the threes.

I'm still not a 100% happy with the handling of the front end and I'm considering putting inverted forks, but the cost is very high and not sure if it's worth it - any opinions on inverted forks would be good too.

This "Carl's Clamp" maybe worth a try?

I can't see why that is at all necessary on a late model Vmax with the 43mm forks at all... I have everything you have except I lowered mine internaly and am running the straight rate Race-Tech springs for my weight... I'm guessing you mean cartridge emulators...

I have this bike and a sport bike and this Vmax is damn good in the corners. It's no sport bike mainly due to ground clearance but it holds its own DAMN well. I also have frame braces as well as radial tires though. Do not compare a bias tire bike to a radial tire bike. They don't compare...

Good luck

From what I can see, USD inverted forks are stiffer than conventional forks like on the vmax. USD forks are 50 to 54 mm dia. for approx. 2/3 the length of the fork and vmax is 40 or 43mm dia.

Under hard braking, hard cornering, etc... the vmax forks will flex more than USD forks. The article were I got the above picture has a very good explination of this. For the article check out; www.awol.co.za/WobblesWeavesShaking.htm

Has anybody switched to USD forks and if so, how much of a difference did it make?

From what I can see, USD inverted forks are stiffer than conventional forks like on the vmax. USD forks are 50 to 54 mm dia. for approx. 2/3 the length of the fork and vmax is 40 or 43mm dia.

Under hard braking, hard cornering, etc... the vmax forks will flex more than USD forks. The article were I got the above picture has a very good explination of this. For the article check out; www.awol.co.za/WobblesWeavesShaking.htm

Has anybody switched to USD forks and if so, how much of a difference did it make?

I understand the benefit to USD's but not to the sleeves you showed.

USD's on a Vmax are bling in my mind nothing more. The bike will never use the full potential of the USD's. The stockers are more than up to the task as I am able to atest to.:thumbs up:
Good luck

max bough my 06 4 weeks ago have 1300 miles ...at high speeds and cornering bike is perfect..its what i most happy about the bike,,,,did you have these problems from new

113s&s - it's not to say that these our problems - it's just to say that the design of the vmax from the factory - suspension has not changed since the early 90's - it is rather on the soft side and the frame has a fair amount of flex. These shortcomings will manifest itself especially when the bike is being pushed.

As you put more miles on the bike and start using it's power harder, you will probably start to notice areas that require improvement. This forum and other websites have alot of info on improvements that can be made.

113s&s - it's not to say that these our problems - it's just to say that the design of the vmax from the factory - suspension has not changed since the early 90's - it is rather on the soft side and the frame has a fair amount of flex. These shortcomings will manifest itself especially when the bike is being pushed.

As you put more miles on the bike and start using it's power harder, you will probably start to notice areas that require improvement. This forum and other websites have alot of info on improvements that can be made.

my question was when did those problems start with your bike..I know all about pushing and riding hard..i have no issues bike stock...you start lowering front ends problems start....tell ya the truth if those problems did start.....id get another bike in a blink of an eye......

Being this is my second vmax - I made the changes to the new bike before even riding it. My previous bike was a 1996 vmax. I say that after about 12000 miles is when I really started to notice suspension & frame deficiencies. After 2 high speed woobles on the 96 max, I made the decision to mod the frame and suspension rather than buy a different kind of bike (to each his own) I really like the vmax and think with the right upgrades, it can be a great performer rather than a good one.

Being this is my second vmax - I made the changes to the new bike before even riding it. My previous bike was a 1996 vmax. I say that after about 12000 miles is when I really started to notice suspension & frame deficiencies. After 2 high speed woobles on the 96 max, I made the decision to mod the frame and suspension rather than buy a different kind of bike (to each his own) I really like the vmax and think with the right upgrades, it can be a great performer rather than a good one.

thanks for that info,,I hope wobble never starts,,that would just take the fun out of the whole bike..i bought the bike hearing qbout all these problems owned one in the 80s used didnt like it..probably had all the issues going on that you talked about...thats why im so pleased with this ride......I seen frame braces are those to help with high speed wobble also

It's all about keeping everything torqued right. From the engine mounts, to the swing arm and head bearings. I broke my Vmax in and the checked the swing arm bearing and head bearings and torqued accordingly.:thumbs up:

I am running the frame braces which keep everything a bit tighter in the fast sweepers where there might be a big bump or hole.

Radials go a L-O-N-G way...:coolgleamA:

It's all about keeping everything torqued right. From the engine mounts, to the swing arm and head bearings. I broke my Vmax in and the checked the swing arm bearing and head bearings and torqued accordingly.:thumbs up:

I am running the frame braces which keep everything a bit tighter in the fast sweepers where there might be a big bump or hole.

Radials go a L-O-N-G way...:coolgleamA:

thats what i guess i was getting at...if it dont have high speed wobble or low problem when new...then over time these problems start,,,then there is something that worn out.or needs adjusting...every bike i rode depending on the road under full power in a certain sweep or turn ..it can get unstable...flex wobble...call it whatever....

The engine on the max is very strong and reliable, but the frame and suspension are an outdated design (23 years old). I agree that keeping everything torqued and tight will keep the bike performing well, but it will never be great. That's why so many vmax riders mod and upgrade the frame and suspension.

The original vmax design was a comprimise between the designers and the management at Yamaha. Engine and frame came from the Venture model, original suspension, tail and head light, etc... came from the Maxim/Virago models, etc... back in 1985, Management at Yamaha did not want to spend to much $$$ on an unproven type of motorcycle (musclebike) because they did not know that it would sell. Since then they only did minor changes and improvements to the bike.

I rode my 96 max after returning to stock form before selling it and compared to the improved 06 - it's night and day - the 06 has most of the mods done to it from front to back except radials, which is next. from what I read, it's a huge improvement.

The engine on the max is very strong and reliable, but the frame and suspension are an outdated design (23 years old). I agree that keeping everything torqued and tight will keep the bike performing well, but it will never be great. That's why so many vmax riders mod and upgrade the frame and suspension.

The original vmax design was a comprimise between the designers and the management at Yamaha. Engine and frame came from the Venture model, original suspension, tail and head light, etc... came from the Maxim/Virago models, etc... back in 1985, Management at Yamaha did not want to spend to much $$$ on an unproven type of motorcycle (musclebike) because they did not know that it would sell. Since then they only did minor changes and improvements to the bike.

I rode my 96 max after returning to stock form before selling it and compared to the improved 06 - it's night and day - the 06 has most of the mods done to it from front to back except radials, which is next. from what I read, it's a huge improvement.

thats good info im not one to invest unless i see it need it..so far all is good...probably my riding style favors the bike...fork braces look cool and seem to be a easy bolt on

i switched to the r1 front end this summer-it made a ton of difference. i dont get any wobble, high or low speeds. plus the bike looks sick!

Latest posts

Back