Fuel filter replacement....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwood

Reaction score
I am replacing my fuel filter on a Gen1 Today, is there anything i need to know?.. Will fuel pressure build back up when the ignition is on and the fuel pump engages?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I am replacing my fuel filter on a Gen1 Today, is there anything i need to know?.. Will fuel pressure build back up when the ignition is on and the fuel pump engages?

Yes it will. Best to replace it when u havennt turned the key in a bit, less fuel in the system. Probably the easiest maintenance thing to replace on the bike.

Great, i have not started it in about a week... Heading out to the garage now...

Are you all using OEM or an aftermarket fuel filter that is serviceable. I hear you can pick them up at the local auto parts store to do that? I have an '05 that should probably be done by now. Only 8000 miles, but im sure its needed!

I like the idea of the glass one that's serviceable - you can really see if there's any dirt in there. I've used both in the past and would use either again. If anything the OEM paper one may provide finer filtration than the thin gauze in the serviceable kind.

I don't think there's such a thing as 'better filtering', in the end it just stops shit from the tank being pumped through.

I just think the OEM paper element may retain smaller particles than the metal gauze element simply because while porous, its holes *should* be smaller, but eh, neither can stop rust dust!

Are you all using OEM or an aftermarket fuel filter that is serviceable. I hear you can pick them up at the local auto parts store to do that? I have an '05 that should probably be done by now. Only 8000 miles, but im sure its needed!
I use the NAPA Gold 3011 Filter.
They cost a whopping $3.15 at any NAPA Store.

Specs:
http://www.napafilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=3011

Nominal Micron Rating: 12
Many of the Aftermarket Filter I saw have a Nominal Rating of 40 and some are 80-90, which is much bigger.

that looks paper to me, is it? i wonder if smaller micron filter could cause flow issues at higher rpms?

Yes it's paper, but I believe the OEM is 12-14 Micron also.
So it's basically the same just cheaper and more readily available.

I hear that you can go to like advanceauto and get serviceable ones instead of the paper ones? Any issues with going that route instead?

Mine had the original filter when I changed it around 22k miles (thanks F-M). It ran fine before, ran fine after.

I also try to keep "good" gas in it. Don't fill up if the tanker is at the gas station(shit at bottom of the tanks has been stirred up), try to fill up at larger/busy stations that turn fuel over quickly, and always run 87, since stations sell around 5x as much 87 as the premium blends, so the gas is a lot fresher. 93 at small stations(especially in rural areas where nobody has stuff that needs premium) can be sitting around for a l-o-n-g time. The c-store in schroon gets the 91 tank filled in october and isn't empty until spring. During the summer it goes for a 3-4 weeks, where the 87 is refilled at least once a week.

On the Napa 3011, you don't cut off the smaller end of the nipple do you? I got one today and was gonna install it but was unsure if the smaller opening would cause a problem.

Back