Fuel pump cutting out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

Reaction score
The fuel pump on my 1988 has developed a nasty habit of cutting out. The bike grinds to a halt, i light a cigarette and scratch my head and she starts clicking away merrily again.
Anyone else had this problem or any ideas where to start looking or how to bypass the problem?

Start by checking the connections at the pump itself, then check all the connections at the ON/RES switch, and also the connections to the reserve switch at the bottom of the tank (wires come up on the right side if I remember rightly).

Thanks for that I am on my way out to check now. Wondered if the res switch might have interfered with things but wasn't sure

The fuel warning light came on last night just before it packed up for the 1st of 5 times before I called recovery. was only 2 miles from a fuel stop so filled her up. 4 more failures in next 45 miles.
Ever get the feeling some bugger has overcomplicated something?
As she stands at the moment, everything appears to be working as it should. The curse of the intermittent fault being that all is well when you get your spanners out. The pump itself however is a bit on the warm side. Could it be sticking when it gets hot? Perhaps a dodgy contact inside creating more heat than it can cope with?

Check the small rubber diaphrams inside the pump to be sure it's building correct pressure when it is running too.

Back