VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newride88

Reaction score
Hi All,
I own an 88 Vmax which for the past year or so has an intermittent starting issue. I keep the battery on a trickle charger so usually have plenty of power to start.
I'm pretty sure it's a faulty fuel pump. When I try and start it, it won't kick until the fuel pump starts ticking, then it takes very little time to start.
The problem is, more often then not lately the ticking doesn't start at all and I find myself draining the batteries power.... so back on charge for an hour or so, then when I return, hit the power button, usually hear the ticking almost instantly and away she goes.
Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?
If so, does anyone know where I can buy a new one willing to ship to Australia?
Thanks in advance!!

Tear into your existing fuel pump and check out what's going on in the inside. Perhaps you have gunk in it, or maybe the rubber diaphrams are not in place and it's having trouble developing the right fuel pressure.

The pump either works or it doesn't. You may have some obstruction on the line going to the carbs? Crimped hose? As soon as the pump builds pressure it stops working. The thing is that the pressure may not be getting to the carbs... Then the pressure may lower and then the pump clacks again... Take the pump off and test it on a bucket. Its supposed to pump continuously unless you block the output, in that case it will stop as soon as it builds pressure.

Tear into your existing fuel pump and check out what's going on in the inside. Perhaps you have gunk in it, or maybe the rubber diaphrams are not in place and it's having trouble developing the right fuel pressure.

Sounds like a plan... I guess it is 24yrs old now.

I am using an aftermarket Mr. Gasket fuel pump on my 88 Max and has been working great. Just did a 500 mile ride this weekend with no problems. Got the pump from oreillys for $50.

Sent from my Smart-Ass phone.

Hi All,
" I own an 88 Vmax which for the past year or so has an intermittent starting issue. I keep the battery on a trickle charger so usually have plenty of power to start.
I'm pretty sure it's a faulty fuel pump. When I try and start it, it won't kick until the fuel pump starts ticking, then it takes very little time to start.
The problem is, more often then not lately the ticking doesn't start at all and I find myself draining the batteries power.... so back on charge for an hour or so, then when I return, hit the power button, usually hear the ticking almost instantly and away she goes.
Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?
If so, does anyone know where I can buy a new one willing to ship to Australia?
Thanks in advance!!"
I agree with what's been said so far - time to check/overhaul the fuel pump.
Also - try to avoid discharging the battery, and overusing your starter motor, while trying to coax the bike to start. This not only shortens the battery and starter motor life considerably, many folks on this forum believe that the continuous and decreasing rpm's of the starter, brought on by the discharging battery, is what leads to cracked starter clutches and/or loose starter clutch bolts - which in turns leads to that "bag of rocks" noise heard during starting, which necessitates removal of the flywheel to fix. A job you want to avoid if at all possible (lots of horror stories on this forum!)
Do whatever it takes - fuel pump overhaul, carb cleaning, ignition components replacement, whatever - so that your bike starts almost instantly, hot or cold.
Cheers, mate!

Tearing into the fuel pump is easy, and well worth it. If you still have problems after that, of course first check all the electrical connection going to the pump, and if still no luck, our Captain Kyle is parting out quite a few bikes and is sure to have a fuel pump to spare. He'll send it to Oz no problem!

I am using an aftermarket Mr. Gasket fuel pump on my 88 Max and has been working great. Just did a 500 mile ride this weekend with no problems. Got the pump from oreillys for $50.

Sent from my Smart-Ass phone.

Pictures and part#.......just interested......

I just recalled you may have a faulty fuelpump relay. Everytime you turn the bike on its supposed to close for 5 seconds to prime the fuel lines and carb bowls if they're empty. It can get stuck. Let the engine starve by unplugging the fuel pump connector while engine is running or by removing the signal fuse while running until it dies. after that turn the bike off and on again. If the fuel pump doesn't clack give a small tap with a screwdriver on the fuel pump relay and check if it clacks then... Sometimes relays get stuck...

Latest posts

Back