FZR experience

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to have contact with a few people with hands on experience with these machines. Bike had less than 8k on it when I bought it last fall. I need to run it a bit and start playing with suspension settings but have already started to feel comfy stuffing it through corners. At this point I m just wanting it stock and well tuned in sound shape. 100% stock at this point and EXUP intact. I am loving the stock exhaust for stealth reasons and its plenty strong to get my jollies on the street. Anyone know if these things use the same valve shims as the VMAX? What year YZF750 front end are you taking about?
Interesting comment about intake valve clearance, what causes that condition to lead to dropped valves? I would expect weak springs to be a culprit for sucking a valve.....

The stock exhaust is good, but a little heavy. Between the weight loss and the straight through design of most slip ons, there is actually a good bit to be gained by a slip on. You'll have to search for one, but you can use the same slip on from 1991 to 1997 (YZF1000R).

From the start of the YZF750 it was the "race" bike, so they all came with a front suspension that was adjustable for preload, rebound and compression damping. So any year you can get ahold of will be better than the FZR "preload only" forks.

The intake valves were the reason for my motor rebuild. I didn't drop one, but just got carried away while the head was off :confused2:

I've talked with a lot of engine builders and some of the folks from Graves Motorsports about the 20 valve motor, and the intuition seems to be that because of the smaller size, the three intakes retain heat and thus the tips get beat down, making the valve shorter and loosening the clearance. Some of this will be adjustable via shims, but at some point it may become too short for the retainers to be effective and they can drop. You can head it off by replacing the valves when you get to the largest shim available.

Latest posts

Back