Garretts random winter questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what was the trick, maybe thread a screw into the seal? i'm worried about being able to clean the shift shaft itself so the new seal goes on nicely with it still in the bike.

I fabricated two hooks from "spring wire(hard and flexy)". Also made them blunt as much I could to avoid scratching. Single pull and seal is yours.

You shouldnt find any dust under the seal, you shouldnt...but if you will find any that means clutch cover must go off. Instaling the new seal is supouse to go smothly.

I fabricated two hooks from "spring wire(hard and flexy)". Also made them blunt as much I could to avoid scratching. Single pull and seal is yours.

You shouldnt find any dust under the seal, you shouldnt...but if you will find any that means clutch cover must go off. Instaling the new seal is supouse to go smothly.

by dust under the seal do you mean on the shaft? there is oxidation all over the damn thing. it might be easier just to do the clutch instead of doing the middle gear and maybe having to do the clutch, esp since the bike can be on its sidestand the whole time for the clutch

did some more troubleshooting today and i don't think its the shift shaft anymore. i sprayed the hell out of the underside with brake cleaner and the shaft was dry after my ride. its coming from the middle gear area. fuck. i just had that off and replaced the gasket, no idea why it'd be leaking. took some pics, it only appears to show up once the bike is warmed up and turned off. so i'll maybe trying torquing all the cover bolts down on the stator and middle gear cover to like 10% over spec to see if that helps tomorrow, otherwise i'll tear the middle gear cover off i think with a helper holding the bike like a sidestand on the other side to see if that gives any clues as to where the oil is weaping from....

here are some pics (excuse my ugly mug) if anyone has any other hints for me.

thanks guys.

Attachments

• 2011-03-12 15.51.59.jpg
    2011-03-12 15.51.59.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2011-03-12 15.52.24.jpg
    2011-03-12 15.52.24.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 2011-03-12 15.52.31.jpg
    2011-03-12 15.52.31.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2011-03-12 15.52.52.jpg
    2011-03-12 15.52.52.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2011-03-12 15.54.37.jpg
    2011-03-12 15.54.37.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
yours is not making as much mess mine did, but i had the same area wet, those lines and stuff but mine was the front cover had a leak. have you taken that one off lately? mine was a slow minute leak almost impossible to see from where but what a mess it made.

yours is not making as much mess mine did, but i had the same area wet, those lines and stuff but mine was the front cover had a leak. have you taken that one off lately? mine was a slow minute leak almost impossible to see from where but what a mess it made.

u mean the stator? yea i had that off as well, the reason i thought it was the middle gear was because it only really shows up once the bike is shut down and theres really not much oil near the stator cover (near the gromet holes at least). where was yours leaking?

never really saw it but it worked it way back and was dripping off those wire/hoses. think i did see a little around the front of the cover, plus it leaked more when running on long runs, nothing short. so might not be the same issue. yours looks more isolated to the middle gear. pita but guess it will have to get done eh.

never really saw it but it worked it way back and was dripping off those wire/hoses. think i did see a little around the front of the cover, plus it leaked more when running on long runs, nothing short. so might not be the same issue. yours looks more isolated to the middle gear. pita but guess it will have to get done eh.

it was already leaking once, and i replaced the gasket. hoping some more torque on the cover bolts will solve it, otherwise its really tough to tell where its leaking from.

ya such a pain the little leaks. but keep narrowing it down im sure you'll find it. atleast you dont have to pull the shift shaft out now

ya such a pain the little leaks. but keep narrowing it down im sure you'll find it. atleast you dont have to pull the shift shaft out now

i hear ya. heres the latest pics after 2 h of sitting and a spray down of brake cleaner. i almost think the drop of oil on the edge of the middle gear cover might be a hint...

Attachments

• 2011-03-12 18.40.08.jpg
    2011-03-12 18.40.08.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2011-03-12 18.40.18.jpg
    2011-03-12 18.40.18.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 12
seems like the same problem im having Garrett. only time it leaks is after a ride and i see it between the middle gear and stator. the wires are oil soaked and its really tough to pin point where its coming from. i think its the grommet, not sure but if mine leaks again im going to take the stator cover off and rtv all around the grommet and put a new gasket on and cross my fingers. this shit is really frustrating huh?

When parked is the oil high enough to even leak out of the grommets?

seems like the same problem im having Garrett. only time it leaks is after a ride and i see it between the middle gear and stator. the wires are oil soaked and its really tough to pin point where its coming from. i think its the grommet, not sure but if mine leaks again im going to take the stator cover off and rtv all around the grommet and put a new gasket on and cross my fingers. this shit is really frustrating huh?

Hmmm...Never thought of that, actually i would say no due to the fact that i can see the oil level through my window and its only on the very bottom.
well maybe it does leak a little while we are riding, and the few drops we see after its parked is just left over residue:confused2: maybe thats why it only drips a little then stops, cause the oil is not by the grommet when the bike is not running. Thats my guess

Mine doesn't seem to stop once it starts but only really starts once the bike stops..

Hmmm...Never thought of that, actually i would say no due to the fact that i can see the oil level through my window and its only on the very bottom.
well maybe it does leak a little while we are riding, and the few drops we see after its parked is just left over residue:confused2: maybe thats why it only drips a little then stops, cause the oil is not by the grommet when the bike is not running. Thats my guess

whats the oil level at, try dropping it a little and see it it makes a difference, might lead you to how high the issue is. need dye in the oil and a black light to trace it, if you wanna get fancy.

I'm getting into this a little late so, I'm hoping this isn't a stupid answer. My 89 is leaking from where the stator wires go between the Stator and Middle Gear Covers.. They come out of the stator. I'm going to pull the Middle Gear cover to expose them and try to clean the oil off and inject some RTV around the wires with a Hypodermic... Hope this helps. Sounds like the same thing from the last 5 or 6 posts you guys made...

How can u tell its the wires and not elsewhere?

I'm getting into this a little late so, I'm hoping this isn't a stupid answer. My 89 is leaking from where the stator wires go between the Stator and Middle Gear Covers.. They come out of the stator. I'm going to pull the Middle Gear cover to expose them and try to clean the oil off and inject some RTV around the wires with a Hypodermic... Hope this helps. Sounds like the same thing from the last 5 or 6 posts you guys made...

Mine doesn't seem to stop once it starts but only really starts once the bike stops..

mine drips a little when parked then quits, a little different issue than yours.
honestly where else could it possibly be leaking other than those grommets?

Good point just assumed it was from elsewhere.

mine drips a little when parked then quits, a little different issue than yours.
honestly where else could it possibly be leaking other than those grommets?

With the Middle Gear Cover off, it will be around the wires going through the grommet in the stator cover... It really is the only place for it to leak with a good gasket in place. Best way is to pull the stator cover, clean the wires and work some RTV into the points where they go through the grommet. I'm gonna try to cheat because I have a middle gear cover gasket spare. I'll have about an inch clearance to get at the wires with the middle gear cover off..

Good Luck,:biglaugh:

With the Middle Gear Cover off, it will be around the wires going through the grommet in the stator cover... It really is the only place for it to leak with a good gasket in place. Best way is to pull the stator cover, clean the wires and work some RTV into the points where they go through the grommet. I'm gonna try to cheat because I have a middle gear cover gasket spare. I'll have about an inch clearance to get at the wires with the middle gear cover off..

Good Luck,:biglaugh:

hmm good luck, u 2, let me know how u make out

i re-torqued all the bolts to spec, then 20% over spec @ 110 in lbs. and it seemed to have helped. all bench testing was done with the bike at stand still and i still don't really notice the wires wet its right around the shift shaft. hopefully have some better results later this week. i'm 99% sure now its not the shift shaft.

Back