Garretts random winter questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always just removed and replaced the stacks without sealing them in the box. BUT, it won't hurt anything to seal them in either. With age they shrink up and start getting loose in there.

Sean

Haha no the one functional intake I do have. The ones that go thru the airbox.

you mean getting them p/c? the kind danny's got on his bike?

Thanks sean.

I've always just removed and replaced the stacks without sealing them in the box. BUT, it won't hurt anything to seal them in either. With age they shrink up and start getting loose in there.

Sean

does this look like the shift shaft seal is leaking or something under the middle gear cover? hard to tell with all the wiring there plus when on the side stand all the oil runs down the shifter shaft. I THINK it looks like the shifter seal since the middle gear cover just had another new gasket installed.

the first pic is from last night

the middle two pics are from a little bit ago then i wiped away all the oil i could find

then the last pic was a few minutes later. sure looks like thats the culprit eh?

thoughts?

Attachments

• 2011-03-04 17.31.18.jpg
    2011-03-04 17.31.18.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 2011-03-05 12.32.47.jpg
    2011-03-05 12.32.47.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2011-03-05 12.33.15.jpg
    2011-03-05 12.33.15.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 2011-03-05 12.53.32.jpg
    2011-03-05 12.53.32.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 15
Looks like the shift shaft seal to me! Replace it, then leave that thing alone and ride it!!! Feel bad for ya after reading all you have been through lately...

yea gonna get the parts to do so. however it stopped leaking as the day went on, wonder if the rubber just had to expand.

It's also common for them to leak past the wiring of the stator.

strangely its not that, i double checked that when i had the middle gear cover off, they were dry.

It's also common for them to leak past the wiring of the stator.

+1

The oil can shown itself in the areas which dont leaks at all - by acceleration forces. I have been tricked like that this many times...

Lets calculate:
Vmax can make 0 to 60mph in 3 seconds(good bike and good rider) so the
G factor can reach 10m/s2 so "1g".
This mean that you can find oil from stator wires on the rear drive LOL

But serioulsy, its also looks like shift shat oil seal leak to me.

i don't think its the stator cover wires b/c i did all this testing on the centerstand, without moving. altho there are no leaks under the bike anymore. gonna crawl under there later today. if it re-sealed itself i'll get the seal and wait til it leaks again to replace.

seems like a couple hour job, biggest pain will be scraping the clutch cover gasket if i have to again.

can i also say, hot fucking damn the DD clutch is nice. i was chirping tires thru 3rd gear without even trying yesterday. altho the first 30 miles i looked like a noobie with the clutch feel being so different!

not too sure i like my dd mod, might heat the second(new) pressure plate to soften it or go with a pcw one. too lazy to pull the cover right now so maybe one day

ideally yea i didn't want that much pressure but with the fjr master it works pretty well. kind of tiring to constantly hold the clutch in but some new levers should help that!

i don't think its the stator cover wires b/c i did all this testing on the centerstand, without moving. altho there are no leaks under the bike anymore. gonna crawl under there later today. if it re-sealed itself i'll get the seal and wait til it leaks again to replace.

seems like a couple hour job, biggest pain will be scraping the clutch cover gasket if i have to again.

can i also say, hot fucking damn the DD clutch is nice. i was chirping tires thru 3rd gear without even trying yesterday. altho the first 30 miles i looked like a noobie with the clutch feel being so different!

I have removed that seal only with middle drive gear cover off.

I have removed that seal only with middle drive gear cover off.

what was the trick, maybe thread a screw into the seal? i'm worried about being able to clean the shift shaft itself so the new seal goes on nicely with it still in the bike.

Back