Gas sender

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prmurat

Reaction score
I think I may have a problem with the reserve on my Gen1: after the light is on either the control switch (at the handlebar) does not work, or the sender assembly on the bottom has a problem. It happened around 10 years ago already, but I can't remember how I resolved the problem!! Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say, 1st thing is to determine if there is an issue. Siphon out a enough gas to expose the fuel sender inside the tank and let it idle. if the light comes on and your pump cuts out (bike dies), at least you know the sender is working correctly.. Flip the switch over to reserve and see if the pump starts to work again. if not, there may be a defective bulb, switch, or fuse.. The 1st test would let you know if the sender is any good.

I've had the same problem since purchase 3 years ago, No reserve working.Sean said the light being out also causes it to break the electrical chain but I changed the bulb with one that worked and still nothing. Next is the relay.

Thank you. As said the light is on. I think it is the handlebar control which died... I just had to change the left one: the horn button was not working anymore.

As your sitting on the bike, its by your right thumb. Below is a pic.

So, when the fuel light comes on, are you moving the switch to res? Moving the switch to res, OVERRIDES the low fuel level, and kicks the pump back on.

Attachments

• Start-fuel-reserve-switch.jpg
    Start-fuel-reserve-switch.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 7
That's the interesting part ! (Finally). Thank you! BTW I own Gen1 Vmaxes since 1986...

Latest posts

Back