Gauge lenses

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old timer

Reaction score
Any tricks for taking the clear plastic lenses out ? Are they glued or pressed in ? :ummm:

I'm interested in this too. I have a set on the 89 that have a few cracks in the lenses. I've been trying to come up with something that will go on them to hide those cracks. If it's easy enough to replace them, I'd go that way....

Couldn't tells ya for sure but I DO KNOW thinking twice about the speedo lense with a screwdriver in hand will shatter it...

They are glued in. I think you can clean the back side from the inside if you take out the gauges,

Sean

They are glued in. I think you can clean the back side from the inside if you take out the gauges,

Sean

Looking to replace the lenses with new gauges , have 1 3/4" water temp and 2" oil pressure that I'm putting in . Have to figure out a way...:confused2:

Just as a follow-up...I ended up using a holesaw and then a file to clean it up...all that's left to do is to hook up the gauges .

Work is finished but the lesson I took away from doing this is Yamaha uses some serious glue to hold these lenses in , they have no intention of letting them come loose and pop out . Therefore it's no holds barred and no finesse needed . Just cut a hole with the holesaw as close to the edge as possible and start filing away .

Last picture just proves what glutons we are for punishment with more toys than we really need...but hey , what the hell...:biglaugh:

Attachments

• DSCN3151.jpg
    DSCN3151.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN3152.jpg
    DSCN3152.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3155.jpg
    DSCN3155.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 19
Wow, Nice Job. I was looking at gauges today, wondering what people were using so this is great.. I have a spare dash and may just bite the bullet and do this soon.... Thanx......

PS: Your garage looks somewhat like mine....:rofl_200:

Back