gear indicater wanted.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnut108

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction for a handlebar mounted indicator that will tell me what gear I am in. Are these easy to install ?

There is a thread not too old showing someone doing a gear indicator mod too.

We've only made one (two actually) units to date and they are a simple indicator that installs into the gauge cluster. I know I have a pic on Facebook but can't access that site from this computer (see the link in my signature).

I do have sending units that replace the stock neutral sender with contact points for all 5 gears (and neutral). They are easy to swap out and then I can even get the connector to tie into so it's a plug and play from the sensor. Wire up something that will turn on based on the changing grounds when it gets to that gear.

I don't have time at the moment to make a simple circuit but maybe some of the other electrical guru's on here can help out.

With the 6 position indicator plate Sean has, you could wire in LED indicator lights to show gear position.

Attached picture shows one way I used for a year. It had 3 LED's mounted in a row. Left only lit for 1st,
left & center for 2nd, center only for 3rd, center & right for 4th, right only for 5th. None lit when in neutral, stock light only.

I changed couple of years ago to eliminate 2nd & 4th indication, simply removed diodes from attached schematic. 1st, 3rd & 5th indicators, with stock neutral works nice.

Gary

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5279.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 58
OK, so you know I need those original pics!
What I think most people would like would be something that can convert that signal to a digital readout and the small indicator.

We've only made one (two actually) units to date and they are a simple indicator that installs into the gauge cluster. I know I have a pic on Facebook but can't access that site from this computer (see the link in my signature).

I do have sending units that replace the stock neutral sender with contact points for all 5 gears (and neutral). They are easy to swap out and then I can even get the connector to tie into so it's a plug and play from the sensor. Wire up something that will turn on based on the changing grounds when it gets to that gear.

I don't have time at the moment to make a simple circuit but maybe some of the other electrical guru's on here can help out.

Sean Looked on Facebook at all your great pic's but did not recognize anything that looked like a gear indicator. I am interested in your sending unit with your plug and play connecter. Don't quite understand the " wire up something that will turn on based on the changing grounds when it get to that gear" part. Are you talking about the indicator light itself ? Is this something you or I will do ? If it me, it ain't gonna happen :) Patrick

Here's another schematic for a gear indicator:

http://www.bluegauges.com/gearindicatorplans.htm

It's designed for Suzuki, but I'm sure it can be converted to Yamaha use pretty easily...

I'm not trying to take anything away from Sean. I'm just posting info for anyone who might be a do-it-yourselfer. Me? I'd rather pay for something that's plug and play! :D

The link to the light bar would work for the lighting but not any of the diagrams. The diagram Dingy posted is what you'd have to use and modified with a simple circuit board that triggered the number to light up instead of simple bulbs.

So, i have the sending units to make it happen and anyone can get simple bulbs or lights that can be wired to turn on. Just need to work on the rest now.

Sean

Sean Take a look at this---- http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Dig...otorcycle/dp/B00EM8AH1I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_5

Might work perfectly. I'll need to make an adapter harness to connect from the OEM sending unit to this meter and also somewhere to pickup the power from. Not sure if it will work specifically but worth the cost to try!

Might work perfectly. I'll need to make an adapter harness to connect from the OEM sending unit to this meter and also somewhere to pickup the power from. Not sure if it will work specifically but worth the cost to try!

Sean,

Did you get email I sent with the pictures?

Gary

I did and I have one of these other indicator units on order too.

I did a few some time ago. One for Sean and one for few other friends.

Heres the simplest way to drive the LED display:

8.jpg

Of course there are more complicated projects but mostly build using uC
or simple flip-flops. I dare to say trying to bulid one with other way then
the diode matrix is like shooting your own foot.
If you would like to buy one just grab this chinesse one, cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Universal-Digital-Gear-Indicator-for-Motorcycle-New-/360734533167

I still cant finish my handlebar instrument...gear indicator, shift lightand everything else here...no time and away from home...

mc0p.jpg

Back