Gold engine paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildweasel_pt

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been browsing around for a suitable paint for my engine in gold color. Theres lots of spray cans with that brass look but the suppliers won't guarantee its resistance to heat. I want to repaint some parts in brass looks and i was wondering if anyone knows of a particular paint that will hold ok on the engine and has that shiny/polished brass look... Thanks

engine in gold color, it's gonna be unseen before.
Can't wait to see the result :p Man, I think you will surprise us again :)

The engine doesn't have that much heat other then in the area immediately around the exhaust ports. The rest is watercooled so the block doesn't see temps much higher then 200-250. We use a good grade automotive paint when we paint our engines and it's always held up great.

Sean

The engine doesn't have that much heat other then in the area immediately around the exhaust ports. The rest is watercooled so the block doesn't see temps much higher then 200-250. We use a good grade automotive paint when we paint our engines and it's always held up great.

Sean

Yeah i thought the same and told the guys that at most the walls would be as hot as the water and no more than boiling water, that is closely 100?C but the thing is that they prefer not to guarantee it and just say "its better not to"... I already considered PCoating in gold but that is gonna be extra work preparing the engine and sealing everything up properly...

Agree with Sean re the use of automotive paints.
I have welded a centre stand that had been painted in 2K; the paint only burnt and blistered a couple of inches or so away from where I was welding so a crankcase shouldn't present a problem.

That said, it would be quite expensive to have this done professionally so have a look here - there should be something that tickles yer fancy and I can recommend the product.

Howdy Steve

So you say 2 components auto paint is good to go? I as told that acrylic auto paint would be good as well. But thinking better i think that 2 components will be stronger... I need to check if they do it in flat gold... That site has some impressive stuff. i sent them an email. All and all i just want to be sure i won't need to pull the engine off in 6 months for touch up... thats the gist of it... Thanks Steve

Ooh, be careful with VHT!
I generally like their product, but the pictures below are of VHT Brake Caliper Clear.

I was really unhappy with bead blasting the gold off some Ducatti calipers and then painting them clear, only to have the same poxy gold colour! :bang head:

I re-did them in the same VHT black, and it looks great. :biglaugh:

I also touched up my crankcase with VHT Rollbar and Chassis paint, which works really well. But if I try and touch it up again, even 4-6 weeks later, it bubbles up!
It is not the correct paint for the job, so it might not last. But it sprays really well!

I find them a little hit and miss, but good when they work. Also, quite often they need oven curing to work well, in which case, cheap cheap cans works pretty good anyway!

Attachments

• 20110127_005.jpg
    20110127_005.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20110127_002.jpg
    20110127_002.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20110227_002.jpg
    20110227_002.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 22
Back