Got a carb question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're in luck, I managed to find a photo of a disassembled jet block. Assuming the parts are laid out in order, it is the leftmost tube, with the smaller rubber bung.

The brass parts laid beneath the block are pilot jet, emulsion tube (this has holes drilled in the side).

To undo the pilot and emulsion jets, use the largest flat blade screwdriver that fits in the hole with the thickest end so it fits tightly in the slot to minimise risk of chewing up the jets.
View attachment 78150
Okay got it. Had everything apart but the lower ones shown. If I have to go back in, I will do it. Thanks

Attachments

• P7060042_LI.jpg
    P7060042_LI.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 41
Thank You [B]Fire-medic[/B]. I've book marked this info and will use it next time I take down the carbs. I got everything together and was able to sync the carbs okay. Runs good. Got them all to run very close, in the 190-200 range. Will do a road test when the rain quits. Next problem is the starter's dragging. I just ordered a starter and a solenoid. Should not be a big deal. My main concern now really, is the loud clanking I get when turning over the bike. Once it starts all is good runs great. Good oil pressure and No odd noises. I was wondering if maybe it's a sign of needing a starter clutch or does it do that because of the starter dragging?

Yup. Starter clutch it is, for the simple mechanism it is it does make
a hell of a racket.
Yes, I suspect the starter clutch also. Have someone turn the bike over, and use either a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear, w/its tip on the engine case by the starter gear and you should hear it distinctly-louder there.

Yes, I suspect the starter clutch also. Have someone turn the bike over, and use either a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear, w/its tip on the engine case by the starter gear and you should hear it distinctly-louder there.
The long screw driver is the old mechanic way. Done. Starting using that method back in the 70's when I was an auto mechanic. Thank You.... 👍

The long screw driver is the old mechanic way. Done. Starting using that method back in the 70's when I was an auto mechanic. Thank You.... 👍
I'm not a professional mechanic, but I am old. I got my first new set of Wright metric socket wrenches and open-end wrenches to work on my parents' foreign cars in the 1960's. Their first new Beetle was a '62 cabriolet, a great car to learn to drive a 4-speed.

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I am old. I got my first new set of Wright metric socket wrenches and open-end wrenches to work on my parents' foreign cars in the 1960's. Their first new Beetle was a '62 cabriolet, a great car to learn to drive a 4-speed.
I remember standards were easy back then and most would shift without the clutch. One of the reasons I have a car 'NOW" that's standard is that it's now 90% not steal-able and not a loaner. Just like the old dial phones. The now generation can't use it. HE he he.... ;)

I remember standards were easy back then and most would shift without the clutch. One of the reasons I have a car 'NOW" that's standard is that it's now 90% not steal-able and not a loaner. Just like the old dial phones. The now generation can't use it. HE he he.... ;)

I have been an engineer for what feels like forever. I am nearing the end of my career, but am actually enjoying these last few years in the lab. With much of our work from home situation ongoing, we have lots of online meetings. I find myself on occasion thanking folks for "dialing in" to a meeting that I've set up or something similar. I've gotten a couple of comments, but I have no intention of changing it. It's an anachronism that needs to be perpetuated.

I have been an engineer for what feels like forever. I am nearing the end of my career, but am actually enjoying these last few years in the lab. With much of our work from home situation ongoing, we have lots of online meetings. I find myself on occasion thanking folks for "dialing in" to a meeting that I've set up or something similar. I've gotten a couple of comments, but I have no intention of changing it. It's an anachronism that needs to be perpetuated.
Ever notice that when the power goes off, the phone system still works? Assuming that you still have a landline.

The analog rotary dial doesn't work on digital telcom today, but you can buy digital phones which use a rotary function mechanism to dial.

[QUOTE="Fire-medic, post:

and use either a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear, w/its tip on the engine case by the starter gear and you should hear it distinctly-louder there.
[/QUOTE]
The long screwdriver method is very accurate, my father taught me that. I can narrow each tappet down to how much it rattles using that method. Been using it to pinpoint many engine problems over the last 50 years. Its surprising to see many younger people not knowing about this. Appears now that if it is not a digital tool with a LCD readout then its no good to most folk.

[QUOTE="Fire-medic, post:

and use either a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear, w/its tip on the engine case by the starter gear and you should hear it distinctly-louder there.
The long screwdriver method is very accurate, my father taught me that. I can narrow each tappet down to how much it rattles using that method. Been using it to pinpoint many engine problems over the last 50 years. Its surprising to see many younger people not knowing about this. Appears now that if it is not a digital tool with a LCD readout then its no good to most folk.
[/QUOTE]
Especially if you can't play Angry Birds or Word Puzzles with it.

[/QUOTE]
Looked up the Angry Birds thing. WTF is the world coming to, it’s little wonder that I see less young people working on vehicles and forming rock groups when this s&?t is popular. Pigs chasing birds 🐖 🐦, i’m lost.

Looked up the Angry Birds thing. WTF is the world coming to, it’s little wonder that I see less young people working on vehicles and forming rock groups when this s&?t is popular. Pigs chasing birds 🐖 🐦, i’m lost.
One reason I got a Challenger with a 6spd. 50% non steal-able and 100% non lendable. Kids don't know how to drive standards anymore. Tried to teach my 17 year old god-son how to drive it and it was a bad day for my Heart. Had to double up on my Meds...🥺

Ever notice that when the power goes off, the phone system still works? Assuming that you still have a landline.
Thats because there is is power on the signal line, 48v US, 50v UK.

I recall reading discussions a while back on how to get power for free by for example charging batteries from the phone power.

Don't recall the details but the current is limited and think if the supplier detects too much current being drawn, they start charging for use so you end up paying.

Thats because there is is power on the signal line, 48v US, 50v UK.
I found that out to my detriment when very young whilst adding in a phone point for a friend and bared the wires with my teeth. The current ⚡️ must be very low as I still have my tongue 👅 and lips 👄, but you do get a fright .

Wouldn’t try it now as my teeth would probably fall out.

I found that out to my detriment when very young whilst adding in a phone point for a friend and bared the wires with my teeth. The current ⚡ must be very low as I still have my tongue 👅 and lips 👄, but you do get a fright .

Wouldn’t try it now as my teeth would probably fall out.
Have one next to my bed. Use it to get the day going when coffee's low..

Last edited:
Back