Got a few question about maintenance and modding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax06

Reaction score
Well, im pretty much new to the bike modding as well as maintenance. Before i was focusing on cars, primarily ls1's haha
What im planning to do is general maintenance first since my bike has 13K miles already... I got a quite a few questions so please bear with me. I dont want to make mistakes i made in the past :bang head:

Because of that I am planning to change out the spark plugs, Fuel filter, Change oil, Oil filter and then finally Shotgun the damn thing, as well as install EBC HH brake pads...

Do you think its doable for one person to do it? Or should i take it to a shop???

Also, after that im planning to install a K&N air filter package (4 cone air filters)
Is the set up any good (is there a set up that beats this one)?? Worth the money? Noticeable gain in performance?

Will i need to rejet my bike after adding those Air filters??

Thanx guys

Absolutely you can do all those maintenance things that you mentioned by yourself. They are all very simple and if your not sure about something just ask here...

the 4 cone k&n filters are for the stage 7 jet kit only.

Do you have stock exhaust? or aftermarket?

Well, im pretty much new to the bike modding as well as maintenance. Before i was focusing on cars, primarily ls1's haha
What im planning to do is general maintenance first since my bike has 13K miles already... I got a quite a few questions so please bear with me. I dont want to make mistakes i made in the past :bang head:

Because of that I am planning to change out the spark plugs, Fuel filter, Change oil, Oil filter and then finally Shotgun the damn thing, as well as install EBC HH brake pads...

Do you think its doable for one person to do it? Or should i take it to a shop???

Also, after that im planning to install a K&N air filter package (4 cone air filters)
Is the set up any good (is there a set up that beats this one)?? Worth the money? Noticeable gain in performance?

Will i need to rejet my bike after adding those Air filters??

Thanx guys

Don't forget to change the rear gear oil too, I change mine with every oil change. I run an Amsoil Synthetic, I can't quote the weight off the top of my head but can check tonight. It takes so little oil it just makes sense to change it. you also may want to consider flushing your clutch and brake lines as well while you are at it.

You are certainly in the right place for guidance, help, support and the occasional 'smack upside the head'! :clapping:

your bike may not start if u just add the air filter cones. they typically need to be ordered in addition to a stage 7 jet kit. all of which requires an aftermarket exhaust as bill was saying...

i agree with shane, def flush your lines and the rest of that should take no more than a half day, even never doing it before! just take your time and get a haynes manual.

+1 on the Hanes manual. I was in the same position (minus the car wrenching experience), and I recently did all of those jobs for the first time with the Hanes manual. If you do ever get stuck anywhere or not sure about something, ppl here are always happy to help with advice.

Oh ya, don't forget to flush and refill the coolant too. It's very easy to do, just follow the instructions in the service manual. If you don't have it, you can download it from VmaxOutlaw.

Get a manual and do it yourself. I've done ALL my mods and maintenance myself.

DO NOT replace the air box. If it runs at all, it'll run like POO! Get a hold of Sean Morley and get his intake kit but only if you plan on full A/M headers.

Cheers,
Chris

lots of great advice here! thank you! With all being said, i will wait a little with modifications then... My bike is bone stock at the moment
My next step is the Manual

Also, how about rejetting the stock carb. I have seen some sold on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0302601802&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

so if i get that kit, then maybe i can modify my air filter and add some slip ons??

Correct me if im wrong, rejetting a carburator is sort of like "tuning"??

And would it be ok to get an 85-03 manual?? Are they the same as 06?

I can't answer that, I'm too new to this..... but I will say this. Read the many posts on this forum, ask lots of questions. Start with the easy stuff first to build your confidence (I appologize if I am insulting your intelligence here), then move onto the 'more involved' mods. I've been learning as I go and every new thing I try bring renewed confidence, that and all the fine folks on this forum!! :punk:

If you do anything to the carbs buy a K&N drop in for cheaper filters (unless you plan to run my kit at some point in the near future - before you would need to buy a filter again). Then MAYBE drop the mains one size if you keep the stock pipes. Two sizes if you get slip-ons (we sell Kerker and Supertrapp).

Slip-ons will not gain any power but are lighter then stock. They will make the bike run richer and not leaner as many believe.

Please do not buy that kit on ebay unless you want to lose power and economy. I can always fix it for you but it will cost far more then the kit.

Sean

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330302601802&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

so if i get that kit, then maybe i can modify my air filter and add some slip ons??

ebay is great for a lot of things. jet kits are not one of them. stick with a morley or a dynojet. those are the name brands, no exceptions on those.

ebay would be good for aftermarket exhaust system, as one is basically required to see any gains out of a jet kit.

think in the $1000 range for a good jet kit and full exhaust. plus install costs.

it seems to be about $100 per 1 hp gained roughly before you start getting into displacement conversions.

if you're asking what jetting is, i'd probably stay away from it at first, do the things you first mentioned in this thread. then worry about this other stuff, jetting/carbs/exhaust. i'd rather insult your intelligence and u take a step back than say you can do something you can't and you spend thousands to fix a hole in your piston.

also listen to Sean (one2dmax) he wont' steer you wrong. Infact if you want to go the jet kit/carb/exhaust route, i would suggest emailing him and discussing your options.

WOW, thanx guys!
Definitely good lookin out right there!

I will focus on general maintenance right now, make sure everything is in good condition.
BTW im about to buy a haynes manual but it says 85-03, can it still be used for my bike??

WOW, thanx guys!
Definitely good lookin out right there!

I will focus on general maintenance right now, make sure everything is in good condition.
BTW im about to buy a haynes manual but it says 85-03, can it still be used for my bike??

Yes that manual will work. Or go to the VMF Links button and type in "manual" in the Search box and you can download the manual.

Yes that manual will work. Or go to the VMF Links button and type in "manual" in the Search box and you can download the manual.

yup thats the service manual tho. i would say a haynes will do you nice as it doesn't make any assumptions the service manual sometimes does. nice compliments of each other.

that manual will be perfect. an '03 and an '06 are identical minus colour

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0302601802&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

In 93 Yamaha made some changes to the VMAX. The major changes were the forks went from a 41 mm to a 43 mm tube. The second was the ignition went to a digital setup. So I would advise you to get an updated manual... 93 or newer. That way if you have a wiring problem (heaven forbid) you'll have the correct info.

As far as the mods are concerned performance wise... my advice would be to get yourself a Kerker exhaust. You can tune till the cows come home carburetor wise, which most do. But the reality is if it runs good or better once you install the pipe... leave it alone. It depends on what elevevation you live at on the planet. I'll probably get flamed for saying that... but that's my experience. The last bit of advice... buy all the tools you can get your hands on and try to do everything yourself. Good luck with your MAX.

and if you're like me and cant do it yourself-deeeep pockets are an absolute must. i find mine are up around my ears these days though lol. i do the simple stuff myself and i'm pretty much a mechanical idiot, with a background in cars you should be all set. if you really catch the mod bug, you can easily spend 20-30k on mods for this bike=USD front end, aftermarket wheels, flatsides or efi, custom paint, otec stuff, and the list goes on and on. be prepared!!

cheers odieoh24

digi ignition was 90 and up (along with better starter). But, block changed in 96 and got a little stronger (not more HP) along with spin on filter. Last change I feel noting was 99 when the shift drum updated but that can be retro fit to earlier models easily enough.

Sean

he's already got an '06 so he should be good to go

Yeah but '03 and up got the much coveted helmet lock...

You know... The one that places the helmet ON the exhaust!

Chris

Back