Got some new tunes!! Exhaust that is!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostmax

Reaction score
I had Jon Cornell up at UFO make some new pipes for me. I knew exactly what I wanted. He did a fabulous job as my experience with him has always been.

Custom 1 off 304 stainless headers
Custom stainless mid pipes
O2 sensor bung welded to the right side mid pipe for my Dynojet AFR gauge
2 Bros carbon mufflers
Everything ceramic coated black

Looks great, sounds great!!

I wanted to tone down my top fuel dragster sounding UFO 4-2-1 megaphone. It sounded great at idle and WOT, but it was just so effing loud ALL the time. The wife has started not going on rides because of it and I become a little annoyed by it after a while. Sounds amazing, but just screaming at you while going 30mph gets tiring.

I have had 2 Bros pipes in the past and really love their unique styling and sound so I wanted to make a custom setup. I wanted to keep the 4-2-1, but there was no 2.5ID pipe available from them and I was a bit worried about too much heat burning up the carbon with the supercharger and all....

I went with the 4-2 with 2.25 ID pipes. I got a slip on kit for a Kawi ZX-14 with the muffler length that I wanted. I got the slip on kit because I needed the special mid pipe end that 2 Bros uses for their VALE attachment setup.

I sent the ZX-14 slip on kit to Jon up at UFO and told him what I wanted to do. I wanted a full stainless exhaust because I like the look of black ceramic coating, but it doesnt hold up here in the salty south Florida. The salty air penetrates the black ceramic coating and it gets all rusty looking within a couple years no matter how hard you try to keep it clean. Its happened on several different bikes of mine, all different manufacturers. SO I told him I wanted it to all be stainless. The ZX-14 kit is already stainless. I also needed to add a O2 bung so I can install my Dynojet air fuel ratio gauge so I can finally start dialing in my carburetor to perfection.

It took Jon less than a month to make the custom headers and mid-pipes, have it all coated and back to me. I have been getting my civic project finished up so I hadnt had time to put the pipes on until today.

The install went smooth as can be. Fitment was great. Took me about 1 hour to pop off the old pipes and install the new setup.

The bike sounds as desired. The idle is quite interesting, its still loud, but it is just thumpy as hell! Sounds like a muffled fully automatic shotgun! It literally vibrates the ground.....pretty cool. Its missing the engine note at lower rpms though, its just a whole lot of thump sound. Revving the engine, It sounds nice and toned, no rasp at all, just nice and clean.not quiet, but not screaming either. Riding the bike and pinning the throttle, man that exhaust wakes up! Still pretty loud, but without all the rasp and nastiness.

Overall I like it. I do already miss the top fuel dragster lopy idle sound, but increased cruising enjoyment, less whiny wife, 1 off unique parts, unique sound...and best of all...I can kinda hear my supercharger for the first time!!:punk:

Heres some pics and a quick vid for you guys.........just got my new phone yesterday, looks like I need to make the widescreen horizontal not vertical LOL!!!

Sorry, bike is dirty, still have the quick release "wife pack" on, etc.... :hmmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gZKTN6eSy04

Attachments

• image (6).jpeg
    image (6).jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 51
  • image (7).jpeg
    image (7).jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 48
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 45
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I thought you'd all enjoy something new!!

I'll get some better video in the next couple days of some fly by's and accelerations and such so we can all hear what it really sounds like.

I kept waiting for you to rap-on the pipes a bit, and then a bit-more! When do we hear that? Harleys on the street wish they sounded like that, instead they are just stupid-loud, "if you can't make power, make noise."

I always loved the air filter through the faux tank look on the blower bikes. Very nice vmax there.

looks like you got a few vehicles with stuff popping out of the hoods hahaha nice.....

they are ceramic coated i hope not powdercoated? otherwise look great.

looks like you got a few vehicles with stuff popping out of the hoods hahaha nice.....

Yeah, I love cramming big things into small holes.... :rofl_200:

they are ceramic coated i hope not powdercoated? otherwise look great.

Oops! not sure why I wrote powdercoated as they are definitely ceramic coated. I'll go fix that. I have seen some really nice gloss black powdercoated pipes on some HDs in the past. The service manager at my local shop sends em out to get powdercoated all the time. Said they haven had any issues and look killer! :ummm:

That sounds nasty, sure the video doesn't really do it justice but even there you can tell it's got a lot of "thump" to it.

Pretty sure if you rapped on it in front of a Prius it would literally piss itself.

Back