Gps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
Im currently looking for a gps unit to use in my car and since mounting gear and cradles are cheap , on my Max . Now do i use it on battery or wire it to the battery , what would be the best way to do this ...

Re: Gps .

I have a Battery Tender connector routed from the battery down the right side frame rail I use to keep the battery charged. I wired in a matching connector to a cigarette lighter type 12V power outlet mounted to the handlebars. The GPS unit is mounted on the front brake perch and plugged in to the lighter socket. On a previous bike I had a handle bar mount for the GPS also but these new mounts can be added to the brake or clutch mounts, replacing the existing small clamp. I just plug in the GPS whenever I need it or charge a cell phone or anything that has a lighter type plug. It all works great.

I actually have mine hard wired with a micro fuse in line. I have it setup on my SV as well and use the connector for the Battery Tender. The SV has a larger trunk area to do this though.

I have the Zumo 550 (2 years old) and love it. I use speakers in my helmet.

Chris

I actually have mine hard wired with a micro fuse in line. I have it setup on my SV as well and use the connector for the Battery Tender. The SV has a larger trunk area to do this though.

I have the Zumo 550 (2 years old) and love it. I use speakers in my helmet.

Chris

Does it connect straight to battery tender to the battery , as have my battery tender lead under my seat at the mo .
Any pics ?

The GPS on my verizon cell phone works great. Can't look at it while riding, but was thinking about an ear piece for unknown territory. Does have a good where T.F. am I feature.

Steve

You guys got any pics of best place to put the unit , want it out of the way of wind etc . Have looked at mounting brackets .
Do you guys have any good places to source these from over there as i priced it up here and a cradle here is $60NZD which is expensive , i get a Whitehorse catalog every 3 moths and they alot cheaper on there . :punk:

I have a ram mount that's made for motorcycles. Mine mounts right above my clutch reservoir.

I have mine wired directly to the battery with a fuse. No need of a pic of that. My SV1000S I have hooked into my tender wires. (more room to do so)

See the ball in this pic? Its where the mount mounts...

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 31

I am going to mount my older Lowrance globalmap 100 on the handlebar using a combination of mounting hardware from Ram. I'll try to get a few pics of my setup for ya. It going to end up mounted to the handlebar just to the left of the clamp. It will be out of the wind and should be easily viewed.

I am going to mount my older Lowrance globalmap 100 on the handlebar using a combination of mounting hardware from Ram. I'll try to get a few pics of my setup for ya. It going to end up mounted to the handlebar just to the left of the clamp. It will be out of the wind and should be easily viewed.

Cool , thanks for that . Are you restricted by the use of the ram mountings , i have looked online and they all seem to be straight up in down .
I was thinking bout mounting something off the steering bolt and have it on the centre but it may be more expensive than the number of times i will use it tho .
Was thinking along the lines of something like this ....

Something like this , but i also want something thats an easy off as i have heard of a few being stolen at petrol stations etc ...

Attachments

• Yamaha_V-Max_with_SP2610_005.jpg
    Yamaha_V-Max_with_SP2610_005.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 27
Here is my mount, I think it is specific to the globalmap100. Also a couple pics of the postion where I'm going to mount it, it is just sitting on the bar in theses shots and the ram ball mount is going to be removed. I'm getting some wider drag bars so it should mount nicely in between the clutch m/c and center clamp.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 13
I have a cigarette lighter connector mounted on the air box right now but I'm going to get more SAE electrical connectos to eliminate the cig lighter. It will clean up the wiring under the faux tank.

Looks good Matt, when you get it all fired up you can go look for my mirror....

Looks good Matthew! Soon as I get some extra money I'll be ordering those SAE plugs, probably sometime first of the year. I need some new hunting boots and still have to get some bait going.
Did you put on the RIGHTHHAND side of the speedometer due to your lefthandedness? :biglaugh:

I have a cigarette lighter connector mounted on the air box right now but I'm going to get more SAE electrical connectos to eliminate the cig lighter. It will clean up the wiring under the faux tank.

Before you do this, look at the plug and make sure of the voltage. On mine, the plug is actually a step down transformer, the GPS itself is NOT 12 volt.

Back