Gremlins everywhere (was saga)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
I had this in the vboost room but seemed appropriate to move it with the turn it has taken.

Basically what I have is a mess. Found that the ignition switch is an epoxied together cobbled mess.

In the harness that goes up to the right side switches at the handlebar I.E. run/off, on/res, and start.
There is a red/yellow wire that someone spliced the black wire to. What they did was cut the black wire on the handlebar side of that plug and spliced it into the r/y one. Now I cut the black wire loose but since they cut it so close to the plug I had to splice the wire back in on the other side of the plug.

The problem with all of this is that when I turn the key on everything powers up like it should and when I hit the start button the headlight goes out but no cranking nothing happens. The bike is in neutral I pulled in the clutch and tried it no dice and the bike is on the centerstand so side stand is up.
Why did they splice it in the first place?
Why are there no bulbs in the dash for fuel and oil?
Why is the vboost disconnected
Why did I buy this piece if Shiite:bang head::bang head::bang head::hmmm::hmmm:
Later
Duke

The sidestand relay could be bad. It's under the cdi on the left front area of it. You can access it from under the scoop.

Gremlins can be repaired. I went through hell with my Max but it's proving why persistance pays off. It's running like a top now and I can't get enough of it....

Good Luck and don't get frustrated and give up. The worlds experts are all over this forum and very willing to help....

With the key on I touch the black lead of meter to black wire on start button and the red lead to the red/yellow wire have 12v touch red lead to blue/black wire 12v When I press the button I have nothing at the blue/white wire.

Bad start button?
Thanks
Duke

Well I still got no go. I got a new ignition switch and complete wiring harness and new switches (since they were all spliced and hacked into) and got a new relay unit from the stealer for $155 and still when I hit the button in neutral holding the clutch in and STILL NOTHING!!!!!!

Just don't know where to go next.
Duke

When I hit the start button it does nothing but turn off the headlight.

Best I can tell I don't think I'm getting anything at the blue/white wire going to the starter relay. Previous owner had spliced the black wire to the blue/white wire up at the plug near the handlebars as soon as I took that off now it won't start.

I also untaped the harness behind that plug and found that there are 3 red/white wires spliced into the red/black wire????

When I turn on the ignition and work all of the relays i.e. neutral, clutch and side stand they all click and seem to be working properly. When switch is on in neutral all dash lights are on put in gear lights go off pull in clutch lights come on etc.

I have also found that the brown wire for the headlight near the fuses was spliced and there was a wire going to a blue/black wire in the harness that come from the clutch side plug harness???

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what they were trying to bypass then I'll know what was wrong to fix it properly. If I dig much further I will have to strip the bike.

I could have dealt with anything else pretty easily but I really suck at electrical and electronics.

Later
Duke

In effect I think that is what the P.O. was doing by splicing the black wire to the blue/white wire.
Duke

Checked again tonight with the switch on I have .45 volts at the blue/white wire that goes to the starter relay (under the seat) when I hit the start button it drops down to .01??????
Duke

Short somewhere and could be the relay if it's still plugged in. Unplug the wire and if that same voltage drop occurs then it's likely a problem with the switch housing. I don't think there should be any voltage when that buttons not pushed anyway.

Sean

Latest posts

Back