Grrrr...stranded

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left the house tonight with a full tank of gas, what I thought was a well-serviced bike...

Noticed riding that the bike was definitely down in acceleration, wasn't missing or anything, but just didn't feel 'right'. About a mile from the house I turned around and started to head back...and the bike died at the corner. Dead. Lights all on, but no starter...and something smelled hot....maybe electrical hot.

Won't crank. Doesn't make a sound when you hit the start button (lights dim, that's it).

After waiting an hour+ for the roadside assistance tow truck (included in our insurance), I gave up and pushed the bike a mile back home. :bang head:

'07, still in warranty. Fun times.

Left the house tonight with a full tank of gas, what I thought was a well-serviced bike...

Noticed riding that the bike was definitely down in acceleration, wasn't missing or anything, but just didn't feel 'right'. About a mile from the house I turned around and started to head back...and the bike died at the corner. Dead. Lights all on, but no starter...and something smelled hot....maybe electrical hot.

Won't crank. Doesn't make a sound when you hit the start button (lights dim, that's it).

After waiting an hour+ for the roadside assistance tow truck (included in our insurance), I gave up and pushed the bike a mile back home. :bang head:

'07, still in warranty. Fun times.

Check for loose connections to battery or grounds. Do the R/R tests.

Big time sorry for ya. A mile push is no fun especially when your pissed off it broke down in the first place. :bang head:

Did you check the fuses, do you carry any spares. It should have blown a fuse before it melted any wires.

Your bike is so new, this should never have happened. I would be very pissed at the dealership if it was something they did while getting the bike ready for you.

I can't help you, I just wanted to say something because I can imagine your situation. No matter how many times you yell fuck, it doesn't fix itself. Done that been there, miles from home on the dirtbike.

No, I wasn't carrying anything. Doh.

The thing that sort of bothers me is the fact that the bike just didn't sound or feel "right" before it quit. Power was down, exhaust note just didn't sound right. I hope it's just something electrical. It never got hot, it's full of oil...and while pushing it I checked to see that the engine wasn't seized (a good thing).

I'll give the stealer a call this morning. :confused2:

Got the bike back from the dealer, today. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to the tech that did the work.

I was told on the phone that a relay had failed, and it smoked the ignition coil. They replaced the coil, cap (distributor?) and some other items.

Bizarro. Seems to be running well, now.

Stranded again, perhaps the same problem back?

Sitting at a stoplight, bike dies, won't crank. Checked fuses, and found the ignition (10A) popped. Replaced it with the 15A spare in the box, bike fired up, but that fuse popped in about 5-seconds.

Now about two weeks outside of warranty. :doh

Looking over the electrical system, nothing stands out as being 'wrong', melted/pinched.

Any good ideas, here?

(Dealer is checking to see at the moment if Yamaha will step up and cover this. Again.)

That's a toughy. You have a short somewhere and you'll need a test light and start unplugging parts from that circuit. Could be ignitor, coils, pressure sensor, vboost. I would turn the key on and see if it does it when the bike is not running. Maybe it only does it when the bike is running?

Mark

The dealer shouldn't be checking with yamaha, they should be stepping up as their work isn't holding up.

Whatever the issue, it was there when they worked on it. What this means is that they just replaced the bad parts and sent you on your way. They didn't investigate what actually caused the issue.

I would approche the dealer about why didin't they check things better the first time, but try not to be a dick about it (Can be real hard in these situations). See if that gets you anywhere.

Either way, since it was an issue while it was still in warrenty they shouldn't balk at it as it's the exact same issue.

Thought I would update this thread. Problem, though I'm not sure it's the root cause, turned out to be a failed coil, one in the rear. Actually has happened twice, now. Both times, no warning...just left me stranded.

The second time, there was some corrosion around the coil. Coil was replaced, and some dilectric grease applied.

Running well now. :eusa_dance:

Thought I would update this thread. Problem, though I'm not sure it's the root cause, turned out to be a failed coil, one in the rear. Actually has happened twice, now. Both times, no warning...just left me stranded.

The second time, there was some corrosion around the coil. Coil was replaced, and some dilectric grease applied.

Running well now. :eusa_dance:

Glad you got it sorted.

:thumbs up:

I'm An Auto Mechanic, 27 Years ,but Have Alway's Had Motorcycles. I Think The Lack Of Engine Power, Was The Bike Only Running On Battery Voltage , Until Not Enough Power In Battery To Power Fuel Pump-ignition-& Headlight.thats Why When It Dies It Won't Crank, Buy Then The Battery Is Dead ! Sounds To Me " Charging System Is Shorted And Or Pinched Wire Is Not Letting Voltage Back To The Battery" ! Dealers Suck !! 8 Months Ago I Bought A 2006 V-max Left Over "brandnew" Rode It 76 Miles, It Sat For 3 Weeks , Started It , Could Not Keep It Running, Only 1 Cylinder Was Firing, I Flatbedded Back To The Dealer ,they Told Me The Carbs Were Gummed-up,thats Before Even Getting It Off The Flatbed, Or Even Starting It ! Now I No Why I Waited At The Dealer For 4.5 Hours After The Paper Work Was Done Because They Could'nt Get It Running. The Bike Was On The Floor For A Year With Fuel In It! They Said They Were Not Going To Warranty It Because It Sat For 3 Weeks, & The Fuel Went Bad,& They Always Put Fuel Stabilizer In Thier Fuel, I Said Good Because Its Still Your Fuel In The Bike I Left Hear With 3 Weeks Ago!! They Still Did'nt Care !! I Told Them To Put 4 New Carbs On It ,i Don't Care & I'll Pay The Bill , But On My Way Home I'm Getting A Lawyer, Because I'm Getting My Money Back!!! Then They Said "lets Get A Look At It First.we'll Call You , They Called Me The Next Day Said It Was Done, I Go To Pick It Up & They Said They Cleaned Out All 4 Carbs No Charge ,big Deal!! I Read The Mechanics Repair Order, It Said He Cleaned The Fuel Tank & Lines Also & The Fuel Looked Like "piss & Shit "!!! So I Took My Bike Across The Street To Wear The Mechanics Are And Told Him I Bought This V-max Here New 3 Weeks Ago New !! He Almost Shit !! And Said " Those Assholes Let That Sit There For A Year With Fuel In It" & So There Was My Answer!! I Have Never Had A New Car ,only Motorcycles,so I Can Relate To Your Electrical Problem!!! The V-max Outlaw Website Has Good Technical Info , You Also May Wan't To Contact Yamaha Directly Through Info In Your Owners Manual!! Also Order Yourself A Yamaha Shop Manual , There Great & Very Detailed & Have A Big Trouble Shooting Section!!!!!!!! But Only The Yamaha Shop Manual !!! I Hear Aftermarket Manuals Are Not As Good!!!!!

The Problem With Car And Bike Dealers Are, We The Customers Never No The Truth !! I Have Friends That Work At Bike Dealers, And When You Bring Your Bike In For Its First Service, The Valves Are Supposed To Be Checked,(not A V-max), Do You No How They Check Them ? With Thier Ears !!!!!! If They Are Quiet , Thats All They Do But We Still Pay As If They Went In & Checked Them !!! They Only Do Them If They Are Loud!!!! & I Have Many Many More Dealer Truths!!!!!!!

Back