hand engraved numbers on motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
my 86 has various series of numbers and letters hand engraved in about 6 places on my bike.Does anyone else have these and what do they represent.

I have noticed them on my 97 also. Must be assembly line check point sign-offs. Looks like they were made with those small hand held vibrating engravers.

Most of them are going to be numbers used for setting bearings, or other shim thicknesses.

Sean

They are numbers for when you need to replace the main and rod crankshaft bearings along with the balancer shaft.
The numbers engraved are used with numbers that are stamped on the crankshaft and balancer shaft once you use a specific formula than you know what color bearings you need. Hopefully you wont ever have to do this. Been down that road to many times.:bang head:

Funny.... was cleaning the engine the other day and noticed the same thing. Nice to know.

YEA , MINE HAS THEM ALSO , "2006" , I FIGURED IT OUT ! ON THE ASSEMBLY LINE , EACH MECHANIC BETS WHAT BIKE IS GOING TO HAVE WHAT PROBLEMS ! IF YOUR READ THEM BACK TO FRONT & GO TO THAT NUMBER POSITION IN THE ALPHABET ! MY NUMBERS BACKWARD'S ARE ; 3,1,18,2,19. THE NUMBERS TO LETTERS , #3=C, #1=A, #18=R,#2=B,#19=S, THIS SPELL'S " CARBS " AND MAN WERE THEY RIGHT ! I WOUNDER WHAT THE MECHANIC ON THE ASSEMBLY LINE WIN'S ? :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

We could play 5 card draw with the bearing codes. There are 6 so toss out 1.

Sean

Better put down your backup card. I need to check when I go to the shop today. I won't rummage through the engines I will just check completed bikes.

Sean

Back