HD demo/dyno day (new buell/vrod review included)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Took my max to get dyno'd today at the local HD dealer. The bad news is that they told me they would not dyno my max because they don't have the "software" to do it...bunch of shit if you ask me.

Anyways it was demo day as well and I was able to ride the new Buell 1125R and the new VRod.

Here is my short review of the two bikes:

Buell 1125R

This bike surprised the hell outta me. It was in short AWESOME.

Motor: 10 out of 10. This bike is wound TIGHT! It rev's very fast and is definetly one of the fastest bikes out on the road. It would definetly eat up a stock max pretty easily. Fuel injection was spot on and other than a few vibes at the upper rpm range it was pretty smooth.

Gearbox: 10 out of 10. Easily found neutral and had a very tight click between gears. Not sloppy at all and I never missed any gears.

Suspension: 8 out of 10. Sportbike stiff as it should be but not very good over any potholes. I did get bucked around quite a bit over even little bumps. It handles very well and goes into turns very fast. The bike is very light weight as well...felt around 400 lbs.

Seat: 3 out of 10. Imagine a 2X4 under your ass and you will have the buell seat.

Looks: 5 out of 10. It's love or hate with this bike. I love some features on it but others are just brutal.

Sound: 0 out of 10. This thing had NO sound to it. It was quieter than a BMW bike. It needs pipes before you take it home.

Wind Protection: 7 out of 10. I rode the one with the windshield and it was very good.

Dashboard: 7 out of 10. It has mode switches and all the latest gadgetry but some of the stuff is on the chinsy side.

Brakes: 8 out of 10. This bike has SERIOUS brakes. Front brake is awesome but the rear is just a little under par.

Overall this is the first buell I could honestly say I would own. Awesome motor and tranny plus great handling is a winning combo.

2009 V-Rod

I was NOT impressed with this bike at all. Having rented an 03 Vrod a few years ago I felt like they took a few steps back with this bike.

Motor: 7 out of 10. I really feel like this motor is capable of about another 30 horses. It is smooth and unstressed but feels like it has so much more in it. The old rod felt a bit quicker and both of the rods aint shit compared to the max for power. The bike starts roaring around 7K but redline comes at 9K and it seems so shortlived.

Gearbox: 6 out of 10. Pretty sloppy in my opinion and just like the old rod once it got hot the gearbox would get worse. I can't imagine these gearboxes lasting 30K without any problems.

Suspension: 2 out of 10. I think my sons huffy bike has bigger rear shocks than the rod. It bottomed out several times over potholes and if it wasn't so front end heavy it would have definetly gone into a tank slapper.

Seat: 8 out of 10. Comfy enough BUT there was no pillion seat.

Looks: 0 out of 10. They turned a mean looking bike into a squared off pile of shit. I HATE the new look and it is even uglier in person!

Sound: 0 out of 10. Just like the Buell the Rod is all about emissions. It has NO sound and in 5th gear at 60 you do not hear the bike at all. I had to look at the rpms to make sure it was on!

Wind Protection: 0 out of 10. No windshield on this rod and the wind hits you right in the heart of your chest. I would not do over 100 on this bike without wearing a parachute.

Dashboard: 3 out of 10. HD made the new dash look very cheap. It has all the info but looks chinsy.

Brakes: 10 out of 10. Brakes were awesome. Front and rear stopped the bike very rapidly and had very good feel.

Overall I am NOT impressed with the new rod at all. They made it worse in my opinion.

Abe

I rode the ScreamingEagle Vrod a while back.
I kept waiting for the rush.It never came.

Friend of mine just got a '08 night rod. haven't rode it yet, but we went out last night & riding next to him at about 80 mph it looked like that bike had pretty bad head shake. Almost like a max at 130 mph. when we stopped he was complaining about it & wanted to check it over today.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a 1125 buel with a power comander(or something of that sort). His own sort of exhaust with daul aluminum cans it looks pretty cool. He dynoed it at over 160 hp....and it runs 10.70 to 10.80 all day long.

I tired awhile back to take the Max into a HD dealer for a dyno, they straight up told me no. Nothing but Hardleys for them. Oh well, their loss on the money I was ready to spend.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back