Headlight bulb replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkuberek

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know there are other threads about headlights but I was hoping to get a simple answer. It's my first time with a burnout bulb and I would like to replace it with a compatible bulb.

What would be a recommended bulb for a 1991 stock V-Max? I would like to keep it all stock for now so I want to replace just the bulb.

Could you give me some advice on bulbs that will fit my stock headlamp without customizations?

thanks

Hi guys,

I know there are other threads about headlights but I was hoping to get a simple answer. It's my first time with a burnout bulb and I would like to replace it with a compatible bulb.

What would be a recommended bulb for a 1991 V-Max? I would like to keep it all stock for now so I want to replace just the bulb.

Could you give me some advice on bulbs that will fit my stock headlamp without customizations?

thanks

I have a 95 and I am sure it takes the same bulb as an 91.I removed my stock one and took it to aotozone and up graded it to a Sylvania Silver Star.That was a big improvement over the stock bulb.The number should be marked on the bulb so you get the correct fitment for your vmax Just use gloves while replacing the bulb.The oils in your hands can blow the bulb.I am sure they can set you up with a stock replacement also if you prefer as long as you have your old one with you for reference.

Standard h4 bulb or a silverstar. Get a relay if you're increasing wattage. Your charging system will thank you.

Sean sells a 90/130 bulb. I have it, and you also have to have a ceramic pigtail due to heat. Its price is pretty good, and been running it for a year and a half with no issues.

Try these guys for adding safety, efficiency, and cost-effective electrical additions to anything rolling you own: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Relays: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Relays/relays.html

If you go w/a ultra-high-wattage lamp, you're gonna cook the housing and wire harness. Something like a Silverstar is OK for a temporary fix but you should consider another headlamp.

Here is a post on my headlight mod: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31075&highlight=EMGO+headlight
Pics included! My suggestion is to get a new headlight if you ride much after dark. You will be so glad you did, the stock headlamp is anemic and inadequate after 3rd gear. It doesn't cost a lot, and you will wonder why you waited so long to do it. I have an HID system I haven't bothered to install because I am satisfied w/the system I have now.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=39023&d=1378865892

Standard h4 bulb or a silverstar. Get a relay if you're increasing wattage. Your charging system will thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 28
Like Eric mentioned. I do offer a 90/130 bulb (brightest out there) and the ceramic connector. Cost is $50 shipped. It won't hurt to do the double relay either (eastern beaver item) but not 100% needed.

I run a halogen 55w that puts out 100/90 using less watts. At least you have choices

Try these guys for adding safety, efficiency, and cost-effective electrical additions to anything rolling you own: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Relays: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Relays/relays.html

If you go w/a ultra-high-wattage lamp, you're gonna cook the housing and wire harness. Something like a Silverstar is OK for a temporary fix but you should consider another headlamp.

Here is a post on my headlight mod: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31075&highlight=EMGO+headlight
Pics included! My suggestion is to get a new headlight if you ride much after dark. You will be so glad you did, the stock headlamp is anemic and inadequate after 3rd gear. It doesn't cost a lot, and you will wonder why you waited so long to do it. I have an HID system I haven't bothered to install because I am satisfied w/the system I have now.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=39023&d=1378865892
Silverstar temporary? What do do you call temporary? I have been running mine for about 5 years now with no problems...

Thank you all the information. I appreciate all the replies.

I ordered a Silverstar for now just because I need a bulb right away, but I will look through the links provided and plan a spring upgrade.

Forum member Bon-86 is coming out with a SWEEEEET little relay "kit" that comes complete with all pigtails necessary to install on any bike, including Gen 1's. All that is necessary with his kit is to sneak it's primary hot lead back to the battery and attach there. The rest sits solely in the headlight bucket and comes with a fused hot lead and the connectors to plug into the back of any H4 bulb. He says to expect nearly 15% better bulb output, and as high as 40% (if memory serves me), depending upon how much voltage you may be losing out of your OEM light wiring system/connections currently. His kit will do away with having to run any wiring EXCEPT the hot lead to the battery, and you won't have to figure out where to mount the little industry standard generic relay everyone sells. It looked to be well waterproofed as well.

He!!, if I ever rode anywhere on my Gen 1 after dark, I'd have already ordered one. I will most likely be adding them to Shala & I's big Hondas as soon as I get some spare time & a few extra $$. Bon said his web site will have video links to a couple before/after installations for comparisons, as early as sometime today, I believe. Bon is a vendor here. http://www.vmaxforum.net/TheDigiSync.com

... Just use gloves while replacing the bulb.The oils in your hands can blow the bulb...

If you do touch any halogen bulb you can always clean off the fingerprints or oils by using alcohol to wipe off any residue. I keep a bottle of 90% alcohol in the shop.

I keep a bottle of 40% alcohol close to the shop, for when a particularly-vexing problem temporarily defeats me...:rofl_200:

If you do touch any halogen bulb you can always clean off the fingerprints or oils by using alcohol to wipe off any residue. I keep a bottle of 90% alcohol in the shop.

So I got the silverstar in and it wasn't all that much of an improvement (maybe I already had one?).

Anyway, a couple of days later my bike just turned off and nothing would turn it back on. I figured it would had been the ignition I recently reconditioned but ended up being the ignition connector. It just melted.

XD6r7bC1jboqRs_BK1bCgOoTJZr0uBLZXopZKOoF2kBL5BCqwyIFPrjFnJQidXpEVUuzSN1T0900SH4oHG5NfWnuGK7nr1rl2ExVquxQywcNumxsks9TtV0qOoej1Uu8aqyR62l73upoARntZOY0EDCurBHfmpB6H67gu3IKP56yAwmjF3fPShCZLLQ-QUyc3df0JTIrOqzlkyajKynV0CVdpXK_foq8uDMqAlXkW7ncBZSb_4LCwGz9QxwLno8fZxeTDhpgHleZLUgTW2nVufyrjZCI9HjW-S8QA_A6JZsB-19iPaEX_VwNGKQH-F75zk6f4YI1yXAI4y8UrrLupA7qQI1mzevynx2KS5OYjdngUzuACSHKOXo8Rfc8MAYWX2KknQgx1zagRtH2b1dVDZr6FqkQO73MUgN5ZAi4NvfGSg-5TRmtTbJNIWQ9eY_mrVr9-H-RxgK0TLCMws0XRUUilB0B3lJ3q8tfODSvZ77bAKhRP1Bv_TDZSW5T_kGaMGEsUI8in6vJQuib_pMe8zMWzEUFW6vY5DhD4phONMAX=w1920-h1086-no

I fixed the connector but I am wondering if I should worry about something else burning any time soon.

So I got the silverstar in and it wasn't all that much of an improvement (maybe I already had one?).

Anyway, a couple of days later my bike just turned off and nothing would turn it back on. I figured it would had been the ignition I recently reconditioned but ended up being the ignition connector. It just melted.

XD6r7bC1jboqRs_BK1bCgOoTJZr0uBLZXopZKOoF2kBL5BCqwyIFPrjFnJQidXpEVUuzSN1T0900SH4oHG5NfWnuGK7nr1rl2ExVquxQywcNumxsks9TtV0qOoej1Uu8aqyR62l73upoARntZOY0EDCurBHfmpB6H67gu3IKP56yAwmjF3fPShCZLLQ-QUyc3df0JTIrOqzlkyajKynV0CVdpXK_foq8uDMqAlXkW7ncBZSb_4LCwGz9QxwLno8fZxeTDhpgHleZLUgTW2nVufyrjZCI9HjW-S8QA_A6JZsB-19iPaEX_VwNGKQH-F75zk6f4YI1yXAI4y8UrrLupA7qQI1mzevynx2KS5OYjdngUzuACSHKOXo8Rfc8MAYWX2KknQgx1zagRtH2b1dVDZr6FqkQO73MUgN5ZAi4NvfGSg-5TRmtTbJNIWQ9eY_mrVr9-H-RxgK0TLCMws0XRUUilB0B3lJ3q8tfODSvZ77bAKhRP1Bv_TDZSW5T_kGaMGEsUI8in6vJQuib_pMe8zMWzEUFW6vY5DhD4phONMAX=w1920-h1086-no

I fixed the connector but I am wondering if I should worry about something else burning any time soon.

Which silverstar did you get they make 3 different grades ?

Dave

I recommend the Eastern Beaver relays and waterproof fuse holders. Use one fuse holder for the headlight and one to replace the crappy stock main fuse holder. Simple job to make up a harness, or buy the whole thing from EB.. A tip.. Use good quality fuses, not the cheapies you get in those fuse kits fromWalmart or online. They use thin connection blades, and never make good contact in the fuse holder. This causes heat, and melted fuse holders..

The headlight on my 85 went from just OK to incredibly bright after the relays went in.. With a stock wattage H4 bulb.

And solder all connections you make, change or replace....

Brilliant minds think alike, see post #6,:biglaugh:

Bill Seward said to "use the

Eastern Beaver relays and waterproof fuse holders

Use one fuse holder for the headlight and one to replace the crappy stock main fuse holder. Simple job to make up a harness, or buy the whole thing from EB.. A tip.. Use good quality fuses, not the cheapies you get in those fuse kits fromWalmart or online. They use thin connection blades, and never make good contact in the fuse holder. This causes heat, and melted fuse holders..

The headlight on my 85 went from just OK to incredibly bright after the relays went in.. With a stock wattage H4 bulb.

And solder all connections you make, change or replace
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Like Dragmaxter I bought a set of bulbs off of Ebay (65/100), installed EB hi/lo h4 headlight relay kit back in 2008. I thought I'll try the bulbs since they were only like $11 shipped and since they came with two I'd just carry the second bulb because I was sure they wouldn't last, but the original bulb is still in there burning brightly! On long trips I still throw the second bulb in the travel kit but it is almost comical to me that I carry it anymore.
When I first changed my bulb I tried a Silverstar or two but they did not last even with the relay kit. They put out way better light than stock but them not lasting for me is the reason I tried the e-bay bulbs.

Latest posts

Back