Headlight Bulb Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyglass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The high beam filament on my headlight has burned out.

8V0-84314-10-00, 8V0-84314-G0-00, and 5V2-84314-00-XX all seem to be the same OEM-like replacement bulb and are available from various sources.

There are also many LEDs suggested as alternatives that pop up as well.

What is the consensus on LED bulbs versus an OEM-like halogen replacement?

Thanks.

I'm using the night eye which is nice and bright and its 36 watts so it was plug and play. Unfortunately the heat sink and fan are too bulky to use the rubber boot that seals the unit. But the bulb is waterproof, I've ridden in the rain. No issues for over a year. Same one Exactrep sells. Hard to find a single but for $40 for a pair on amazon it's not too bad.
https://a.co/d/53j756W

LED replacement for the Gen 2 is whatever your budget and flavor is. Almost all of the LED bulbs will fit the Gen 2 bucket. As for lighting and pattern.....Well....the halogen bulb provides the best coverage due to the bucket reflector. With the LED version, usually, they come in 2 sides where the LEDs are placed. Up and down or you can rotate them side to side. I used mine for up and down and then adjusted the bucket all the way down cause the light pattern did not reach the ground. Essentially, the bulb I am using. I am effectively using half. The other half of my beam is up. When I use the high beam.....its a straight up day killer. The upper half of the beam finally reaches the bucket lens and I have a good 3/4 to 1 mile range on my light. What bulb I am using for my Gen 2....I honestly cant remember. Due to the amount of bolts needed to remove the headlight from the bike, I am not gonna take it apart to tell you the brand.

For some fun....the little riding bulb above the head light takes a peanut bulb(194). While you have the bucket out......you can swap in a different color bulb or LED bulb if you so wish. 7.jpg

This is when I was still using the halogen bulb in mine.

I went with a cheap LED for now: https://amzn.to/3WawnQ9; pending something with more performance when I have more time to consider some options.

For example, Morely sells a high-output halogen bulb that I may get depending on how I like the LED.

I'm still not a fan of the look of LEDs coming the other way.

I think Morely also has a hi temp ceramic socket for that kit as well. They're always a safe bet. Appreciate how you feel about on coming LEDs.
I went with a cheap LED for now: https://amzn.to/3WawnQ9; pending something with more performance when I have more time to consider some options.

For example, Morely sells a high-output halogen bulb that I may get depending on how I like the LED.

I'm still not a fan of the look of LEDs coming the other way.

Back