Heeeeeeellllllllllp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njwhit

Reaction score
Just got the 4 individual K&N filters (RU-2989) with no installation directions. Got air box off. Where do the 2 filters with the holes go ? On the two front carbs or the 2 rear carbs and it appears I nead something else that was not included with kit. Now where do the 4 vacuum hoses go. Is there a part I have to get from dealer or do they just get screwed back on to the top of the lid to the airbox and the lid just sits on top of filters. This may sound like a dumb question to some but any help would be appreciated.

Just fired it up only putting hoses back to air filter and the timing sounds out with the airbox lid just sitting on top of filters. Oh well, obviously something a tad more to making these puppies work other that just installing them to the top of the carbs. Lol. Off they go

Installing 4 individual air filters involves carb, stage 7 mods too. Your carbs will be way too lean as it is, without.... What other mods do you have done???

you will need air correctors with individual filters else the bike will be too lean and run like crap. the filters with a hole on top go on the front carburetors and are meant to recieve the fume returns from a stage 7 puke box

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

your best bet is to shelve the filters, put on the air box, save up for a stage 7 jet kit, and because the s7 is worthless with the stock exhaust, save up for a full-up exhaust (dynojet claims slipons are doable, but guys will tell you that your s7 is no better off). Or, better, sell the filters and buy a morley muscle kit to go with your full-up exhaust.

the air correctors I spoke of in my first post come with the s7 and mm kits

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Filters alone will be a huge downgrade over the stock airbox. As said, without the air correctors and rejetting, it'll run like poo-poo.

The stock airbox really isn't that bad. Sean's kit uses it(with a replacement filter-lid) and outperforms the stage 7 kit with k/n filters.

Ninjaneer is right, shelve the filters until you get the full exhaust and stage 7 kit, or return them and go with Sean's kit(which is also cheaper than stage7). Keep in mind either requires a full exhaust to be of any benefit. Slip ons don't count.

Another soul that failed to do their homework on this site. I'm probably guilty myself though. Live and learn. Back to stock you go! And remove the "Y" piece

There is no use for the lid of the airbox if you are running individual pod filters. I'm not sure how you installed them. Your comments make me wonder if you removed the base of the airbox that sits on the carbs? The whole airbox should be removed and the filters installed directly to the tops of the carburators.

+1 to what the other guys have said.

Thanks guys, Sean called me and gave me the heads up. I did not know that the air correctors came with the stage 7 kit that i just ordered from him. A tad premature on the filters but they're oiled up and ready to go once the stage 7 and the pipe are installed. Already put the air box back in..... LOL

hehehehe. jumped the gun did ya? well good for you with the s7. what exhaust system are you gonna run? i've got an s7 setup as well. you're gonna enjoy it tremendously. just a friendly word of advice, though. know that you'll only see the peak of the performance gains in the top end of the power band. don't get me wrong, you'll feel a difference throughout, but unless you're at 3/4 - WOT, your max will be missing out the best of the kit's OOMPH. that is why i said, as well as a couple of the other fellas, to invest in sean's muscle kit, which brings the fun down a little more in the powerband where most non-track, thrill-seekers play (and in some cases outperforms the s7 in the top end). if you feel that this is important, don't be dismayed look into Stage 7 with Velocity Stacks. anyways good luck to you. you've officially inducted yourself into your new addiction. hahahaha.

Latest posts

Back