Hello all

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirgijoe

Reaction score
Hello, newbe here and didn't see a spot to introduce myself so I figured general chat would work.

35 year old veteran from kalamazoo michigan. My name is Joe.

Long time fan of yamaha, my first bike was a yamaha 250cc dirt bike when I was 12. Couldn't even touch the ground, had to jump off or drive up close to the barn when I wanted to stop, lol.

Had a few bikes since the last one being a yamaha seca that I never got legal to ride.

Which takes me to my ( technically ) first road bike, a 2005 yamaha vmax. Got a pretty good deal and loved the look, always admired the vmax look.

Anyways, its nice seeing a good group of riders enjoying their vmax bikes! Hope you don't mind me stalking around in the forums here!

My bike is all stock, any recommendations that I should be checking into?

There is a new member thread but welcome anyhow. The mods are plentiful depending on how you ride and what you want out of the bike. Is it running properly, no issues? all service up to date? I'm sorta new here myself but I see most folks go with full exhaust and jetting. Some change rims to run radials. Fork springs and shocks if handling is an issue. I'm doing some things to make it more comfortable for interstate riding. A Vmax is such a sweet bike to doctor up.

There is a new member thread but welcome anyhow. The mods are plentiful depending on how you ride and what you want out of the bike. Is it running properly, no issues? all service up to date? I'm sorta new here myself but I see most folks go with full exhaust and jetting. Some change rims to run radials. Fork springs and shocks if handling is an issue. I'm doing some things to make it more comfortable for interstate riding. A Vmax is such a sweet bike to doctor up.

the bike is flawless, the previous owner only drove it on sundays and kept it inside a heated garage. bike had 8819 miles on it when I purchased it.

as far as riding style, i am not a speed demon, obviously going fast is fun but I also enjoy just cruising around at the speed limit checking out the scenery. so I guess I am more of a laid back style.

Welcome, there are a few of us that ride out of the Grand Rapids area, one of our routes is the loop around Gun lake and the Yankee Springs back roads, be good to meet and ride with ya!............:biglaugh:..............Tom.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service! Nothing wrong with slow cruisin a vmax, enjoy the ride and post up some pics of your bike!

Welcome, there are a few of us that ride out of the Grand Rapids area, one of our routes is the loop around Gun lake and the Yankee Springs back roads, be good to meet and ride with ya!............:biglaugh:..............Tom.

Awesome!

I know gun lake all to well I'm afraid.. but normal I'm riding a slot machine there. Lol

I also know Yankee springs, been hunting there since I was a kid.. 8) nice meeting you!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service! Nothing wrong with slow cruisin a vmax, enjoy the ride and post up some pics of your bike!

Thank you!

I attached a pic of the bike when I first got it home before I gave it a bath.

Attachments

• 20150720_191953.jpg
    20150720_191953.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 40
Welcome and indeed Nice bike! I have always been a fan of the Red Line wheel look

Welcome to the Forum.
I ride a basically stock 2000 that I bought in 2001 and I am still happy with it.
I did install Progressive fork Springs, Supertrapps, Frame Braces and run a Shinko TM 230 Rear with a Battlax BT-45V.
I personally like to ride more than I like to wrench so keeping it almost stock has led to 14 years of riding with very little wrenching needed, at least until I hit a ditch and had to rebuild it.

I would ride it for a while and get used to it before even thinking about any major changes/mods.
And as Beekeeper (Tom) said, there are quite a few Vmaxes in Michigan so you should definitely ride with them and see the mods they have done before you decide on what you want to change on yours.

They are setting up a group ride in this thread:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=38739

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I really do appreciate it.

It's awesome to see some fellow vmax rider that live so close also, glad I saw this forum and joined up!

Yeah I will be keeping it mostly stock, right now my winter projects for the bike will be a better fan sensor ( bike ran a little hot today when it was 95 out, didn't hit the red but it was close, and in my city there is a lof of stop and go stuff )

And brakes all the way around ( new rotors also, they aren't dangerous or had, but the back has a couple nice marks on it and that thing looks way to thin to turn, so new it is. Also one of my buddies that used to have a vmax said one of the first things he did was rip the stock brakes out and go with some n oversized aftermarket ones which he claims saved his life more then once.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I really do appreciate it.

It's awesome to see some fellow vmax rider that live so close also, glad I saw this forum and joined up!

Yeah I will be keeping it mostly stock, right now my winter projects for the bike will be a better fan sensor ( bike ran a little hot today when it was 95 out, didn't hit the red but it was close, and in my city there is a lof of stop and go stuff )

And brakes all the way around ( new rotors also, they aren't dangerous or had, but the back has a couple nice marks on it and that thing looks way to thin to turn, so new it is. Also one of my buddies that used to have a vmax said one of the first things he did was rip the stock brakes out and go with some n oversized aftermarket ones which he claims saved his life more then once.

I've always admired a pure stock looking bike. I used to have one
biglaugh.gif
. I think suspension,tires, and brakes are always a sensible upgrade. And do add to your safety and comfort. I can grab the Nissin brakes with HH pads very hard and stop without locking up. Just the HH pads are a huge upgrade.The stock exhaust is sweet looking.
Steve-o

I've always admired a pure stock looking bike. I used to have one
biglaugh.gif
. I think suspension,tires, and brakes are always a sensible upgrade. And do add to your safety and comfort. I can grab the Nissin brakes with HH pads very hard and stop without locking up. Just the HH pads are a huge upgrade.The stock exhaust is sweet looking.
Steve-o

yes I love the look of the stock VMAX. one of the biggest reasons I don't want to upgrade to much, is because Yamaha did an amazing job with this bike, there really isn't to much left to want to add :clapping:

Back