Help me pick paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilD

Reaction score
Thought i was going to go with Sonic blue but now I'm not sure, Starting to think Black with Chameleon flames or skulls, or Sonic with Chameleon Flames or skulls, or just Chameleon. And which chameleon if i go that route, ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I have to stop looking and just do it. Thoughts? Better yet, pics?

I want a tatoo. What should I get? I like tigers, and dragons, but maybe a vmax or something, not sure.

It's your bike dude, nobody can tell you what you want. Now, if you're asking for the best brand of paint or something like that, you might have better luck and a whole lot of opinions.

I'm going with the sinister look. ALL black. The only things that won't be black are the rotors and the light trim rings.

Good luck with yours!

I want a tatoo. What should I get? I like tigers, and dragons, but maybe a vmax or something, not sure.

It's your bike dude, nobody can tell you what you want. Now, if you're asking for the best brand of paint or something like that, you might have better luck and a whole lot of opinions.

I'm going with the sinister look. ALL black. The only things that won't be black are the rotors and the light trim rings.

Good luck with yours!
just looking for ideas i guess. I don't know what i want.

Hmmm, maybe some questions should be asked to get your basic direction you want to go in....
1) Totally off the wall color that will standout.
2) Basic colors with geometric designs.
3) Specific color with custom effects: pearls/ flakes/ depth/ etc.
4) Specific color with custom graphics: skulls/ dragons/ celtic/ etc.
I don't know a hell of lot about paint and looking at different thoughts and designs/ themes for what I may want to do too. I'm not a copy cat and have a few ideas but still not ready to commit my pet ideas to paint.
I hope you find a idea you can run with.

Personally I like solid colors, there isn't much property to paint. Striped are cool, Pearls are even better as it plays with the eye. Flames are cool but I think it lacks imagination. Anyone can have flames. Pic's and or designs under the clear? Cool at the time but a few years down the road, probably not cool anymore. So back to solids, something that POPS, bright "look at me" colors, burgundy is for honda shadows...know what I mean? Flat black stripes or white stripes on a light orange are cool. The Max is a bad ass machine, you want people to realize that at first glance with a scary color that looks dangerous. Or are you going for beautiful like a show bike? lots of questions but you gotta narrow it down. then stick with that group.

I was in the same boat as you, not sure what i wanted.
I wanted something more than just a solid color, but i didn't want to over do it . This is what i ended up with, something simple but with a little pizazz.
I had those rips air brushed, then coated with candy blue paint.

oh ya The trees in the paint are just a reflection

Attachments

• DSCN0367 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0367 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 42
Hmmm, maybe some questions should be asked to get your basic direction you want to go in....
1) Totally off the wall color that will standout.
2) Basic colors with geometric designs.
3) Specific color with custom effects: pearls/ flakes/ depth/ etc.
4) Specific color with custom graphics: skulls/ dragons/ celtic/ etc.
I don't know a hell of lot about paint and looking at different thoughts and designs/ themes for what I may want to do too. I'm not a copy cat and have a few ideas but still not ready to commit my pet ideas to paint.
I hope you find a idea you can run with.

1. dunno, maybe
2. dunno, maybe
3. dunno, maybe
4. dunno, maybe

I'm being fickle like a woman:bang head:

Bill, that is awesome

Evil,
Look at the long term and where you really want to go with your bike. It being style, chrome no chrome... yada yada yada. Then pick what colors that you think will look good with that bike scheme. Then just do it. Not nessararily does it it will it be your favorite color. Honestly my last bike was a charcoal in color with some silver and gold stripes ( ok it was a Virago) It looked good with that bike. But not my choice of colors that is for sure. Now my Vmax I went with my favorite color which is blue. Now I personally thought going blue was harder in the end. I have seen many blue bikes but they have always seamed too goddy. So I went with a blue powdercoated frame and back to the charcoal paint that has some custom blue graphics on the faux tank.
DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

I wasn't too hip with the charcoal and my friend the painter knew that so he put in just an ever so slight blue pearl in the paint, but yet not too goddy. With a little chrome and all the misc accesories I have almost finished my goal after 4 years and counting. I cannot wait to ride it again..

Scooter

I just recently was going through this as well. I had finally decided on what I was gonna get and my wife overheard me explaining it to a friend and decided she wasn't gonna allow it. I have a rat rod looking vmax and was planning on putting a WWII pinup styled devil girl on the rear fender. I have a friend that does custom airbrush work ,anything you can imagine and he was willing to do any work basically at cost. I tried for a long time to think of something and had been really set on the chick. I went as far as having him sketch her. After my wife put the end to the chick I was just gonna do black but decided that was a waste of talent. I wanted something that was gonna fit my bikes style and not seem overdone. I decided to go with so oldschool scallops. I told him the basic colors I wanted gave him a few pictures and told him to put in some depth or design if he wants and am gonna leave it in his hands and hope for the best. I figure sometimes and artist is best left with an idea that he can bend into something that hes comfortable with. Best of luck in whatever you go with but just remember your gonna be staring at that tank every time you mount up! Oh and some pics of your bike might help get some ideas moving.

Evil,
Look at the long term and where you really want to go with your bike. It being style, chrome no chrome... yada yada yada. Then pick what colors that you think will look good with that bike scheme. Then just do it. Not nessararily does it it will it be your favorite color. Honestly my last bike was a charcoal in color with some silver and gold stripes ( ok it was a Virago) It looked good with that bike. But not my choice of colors that is for sure. Now my Vmax I went with my favorite color which is blue. Now I personally thought going blue was harder in the end. I have seen many blue bikes but they have always seamed too goddy. So I went with a blue powdercoated frame and back to the charcoal paint that has some custom blue graphics on the faux tank.
DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

I wasn't too hip with the charcoal and my friend the painter knew that so he put in just an ever so slight blue pearl in the paint, but yet not too goddy. With a little chrome and all the misc accesories I have almost finished my goal after 4 years and counting. I cannot wait to ride it again..

Scooter

Not bad...not bad at all.

I just recently was going through this as well. I had finally decided on what I was gonna get and my wife overheard me explaining it to a friend and decided she wasn't gonna allow it. I have a rat rod looking vmax and was planning on putting a WWII pinup styled devil girl on the rear fender. I have a friend that does custom airbrush work ,anything you can imagine and he was willing to do any work basically at cost. I tried for a long time to think of something and had been really set on the chick. I went as far as having him sketch her. After my wife put the end to the chick I was just gonna do black but decided that was a waste of talent. I wanted something that was gonna fit my bikes style and not seem overdone. I decided to go with so oldschool scallops. I told him the basic colors I wanted gave him a few pictures and told him to put in some depth or design if he wants and am gonna leave it in his hands and hope for the best. I figure sometimes and artist is best left with an idea that he can bend into something that hes comfortable with. Best of luck in whatever you go with but just remember your gonna be staring at that tank every time you mount up! Oh and some pics of your bike might help get some ideas moving.
I need to find a painter that can put the paint on the bike from the ideas that I've been collecting. I'm not going to paint for another year but I have been looking around for inspiration.
My helmet may get painted yet this year if I can find the right design/ painter and then the money to do it. Maybe in talking to a few painters about helmets I will hit upon a paint scheme I've been trying to discovery. :confused2:

Pretty much any color with two white racing stripes will look good, on pretty much anything. Pick the main color for whatever you like, since the Max doesn't have a lot of real estate it's tough to "overdo" a solid color. Black stripes can look good, but require a fairly bright/bold main color to work with.

I painted my minibike a flat black with white stripes, then put clear over it. I think it looks good considering it was done with spray cans and painter's tape, and cost me about $10. However I found that the clear kinda defeats the "flatness" of the paint, and makes the whole thing kinda shiny(you can see glare in the tank from the overhead lights). I might remove the cowl and spray that black, since that red fan cowling kinda clashes with the rest of the bike. Hey, I want to look sharp even when riding my Redneck Express.
470308490_1645150519_0.jpg

I'm really digging the graphics/script on the side of the faux tank. There were those European custom Max's that all had the name of the bike there, and your "radioactive" emblem looks pretty sick also.

Jeez, I know it's not exactly a show-stopper but it doesn't look that bad. It's a load of fun....wheelies a lot better than the Max does and with the torque converter it's surprisingly quick. Appearance comes second to function for me. If they start to reverse, you might own a Harley.

Is the fuel tank rusted out on the inside ? Pretty sure that thing would look a lot better if you could lose the plastic tank. all in all nice job.

yes good for alittle giggle.... I was thinking of welders flash burn when you said that. Which I have a slight case of it this evening, OH My EYES.... LOL:rofl_200:

You know AO Safety makes special safety glasses to keep this from happening right?

They're for guys working around welding. They're not to dark but offer the protection you need while allowing you to see where you're going.

Just an FYI from a guy in the business... :eusa_dance:

As far as the paint is concerned... I am a less is more kind of guy. The above examples are beautiful and I would have NO issues riding a bike like that.

I like to stick to a couple of colors. Any more and it starts looking gaudy IMO. You can use which ever color you use less of in the paint work as an accent color but NOT on every thing on the bike. If you look at my bike you'll see red racing stripes. That doesn't mean I put on red rad hoses and red electrical wires and red calipers and red brake lines and such. I put on a red tail light and red spark plug cables. That's the less is more philosophy.

TOTALLY not saying you need or have to follow it. Just explaining it.

Also... Just because they make something for a bike doesn't mean it HAS to be used on it... I see bikes with a bunch of geegaws on them and it's just too much. Let the BIKE speak!

Chris

I was in the same boat as you, not sure what i wanted.
I wanted something more than just a solid color, but i didn't want to over do it . This is what i ended up with, something simple but with a little pizazz.
I had those rips air brushed, then coated with candy blue paint.

oh ya The trees in the paint are just a reflection

I LOVE that look Bill!
who did it and what did they charge you?
I've got my prism blue that the PO had done....love it but want some kind of airbrushing on the tank.
as far as picking colors....if it were me, I wouldnt go too wild! (for the sake of the cops)

I LOVE that look Bill!
who did it and what did they charge you?
I've got my prism blue that the PO had done....love it but want some kind of airbrushing on the tank.
as far as picking colors....if it were me, I wouldnt go too wild! (for the sake of the cops)

TRUTH!!!!!!!

You are a lot harder to positively identify if all the witnesses can say is"Well it was black.......and loud......OH, and he was wearing black..":biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back