HELP !!!! went for a ride shut off 85 DIED!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxRider85

Reaction score
hey guys mike agian here

went for a nice 25 mile ride down to albany and back up to clifton park today had to run to the office and why not take the vmax?? so i jumped on the bike ran down to the shop i did about 70-75 the whole way bike ran great. got done with what i had to do bike was still warm and it wouldnt start?@!? so i let it sit playing on my phone for about 10 mins still wouldnt start got all pissed off jumped on the bike threw it in first pushed with my anger dumped the clutch and pop started it and it ran !! i got home let the bike sit for about and hour and fired right up now im pissed !! its like a curse. or something i cant get a break with the bike i was down there and i felt like selling the bike all i have is problems last year i had PCW work on the carbs when i had the cobra slip ons on the bike, last week seemed like it was getting to much fuel but the bike ran fine... so i bought a sweet set of stock pipes threw them back on and the bike ran great as in above stated. but this bike has always had the HOT START problem every year
i changed the battery 2 years ago. i had pcw put a 4 brush starter in the bike. i changed the thing on the back of the driver foot peg. i changed all the coils i flushed the radiator .. the bike runs great after a hot run even 25 miles the bike wont start for SHI** and i get pissed and i want to sell it but i cant its my family history. and ill prob cry if i ever did.. i will give my phone number in a PM if you have an answer or PM ME i need to have this problem fixed forever.. and also im running CAM2 mixed with 93 i put it in a can a gallon of CAM to 4 Gallons 93.. can that be part of the problem?? first time i have done it but the bike always had the problem. also when i rev it up at a stand still about 6-8000 rpms its shooting black smoke. ahhhh help!!!!!

mike

Better define "wont start"...do you mean

-nothing happens when start is pressed
-engine cranks too slowly to start
-engine cranks normally, but won't fire

I assume since you said you had to bump start it that it wasn't cranking properly.

See this thread to check/diagnose/repair your charging system.

I can talk you through it if you want but I think that tutorial is pretty straightforward.

Also, ditch the race fuel and premium. That's probably why it shoots brown smoke out when you rev it, since about half the fuel is getting shot out of the exhaust unburnt. You don't have the compression to burn that.
Fill it up with 87. Believe it or not, "race" fuel in a stock engine will make less horsepower. Maximum power occurs with the lowest octane that doesn't preignite.

hey guys mike agian here

went for a nice 25 mile ride down to albany and back up to clifton park today had to run to the office and why not take the vmax?? so i jumped on the bike ran down to the shop i did about 70-75 the whole way bike ran great. got done with what i had to do bike was still warm and it wouldnt start?@!? so i let it sit playing on my phone for about 10 mins still wouldnt start got all pissed off jumped on the bike threw it in first pushed with my anger dumped the clutch and pop started it and it ran !! i got home let the bike sit for about and hour and fired right up now im pissed !! its like a curse. or something i cant get a break with the bike i was down there and i felt like selling the bike all i have is problems last year i had PCW work on the carbs when i had the cobra slip ons on the bike, last week seemed like it was getting to much fuel but the bike ran fine... so i bought a sweet set of stock pipes threw them back on and the bike ran great as in above stated. but this bike has always had the HOT START problem every year
i changed the battery 2 years ago. i had pcw put a 4 brush starter in the bike. i changed the thing on the back of the driver foot peg. i changed all the coils i flushed the radiator .. the bike runs great after a hot run even 25 miles the bike wont start for SHI** and i get pissed and i want to sell it but i cant its my family history. and ill prob cry if i ever did.. i will give my phone number in a PM if you have an answer or PM ME i need to have this problem fixed forever.. and also im running CAM2 mixed with 93 i put it in a can a gallon of CAM to 4 Gallons 93.. can that be part of the problem?? first time i have done it but the bike always had the problem. also when i rev it up at a stand still about 6-8000 rpms its shooting black smoke. ahhhh help!!!!!

When you say it wont start, do you mean the started engages and it wont start, or do you mean the starter will not function? We must have posted at the same time, actually you beat me!

sorry i didnt explain my self to good. it cranks over very slowly to the point of being dead its starts out strong for about to revolutions the dieds down to almost nothing.

Shitty charging system. If you replaced the R/R, then your stator is crapping out. Did you replace the r/r with the newer finned kind, or the old fashioned "black brick". Those brick style ones suck.

See the linked thread I posted. Everything you need to fix it.

What voltage is it turning out at idle & then when you rev it up to 2500 & 3000? The factory manual gives you the values to read on a voltmeter.

And like "Ra" said, no need to run hi-octane. 87 or 89 is OK, no need to run something like you are unless you had a high-compression build.

The tree of troubleshooting referred to should help you to pinpoint the issue(s) if it is one or more. There really isn't that much to these, be glad you don't have something newer that only a dealer can fix w/proprietary equipment.

I still think it's the starter"............
Did the new 4 brush starter make any difference at all?

Check your battery for state of charge, I had the same problem a cold motor started fine, when I got out and about I had to bump start mine back to life. I pulled the seat off and checked and sure where gremlins in my charging system. I ordered a new R/R, mine was bad, I got better voltage with change but RaWarrior's walk through place my charging system to it's peak. And no more problems with a weaken battery, lights are bright and shiny and I get more out of the motor. I have not restarting issues since. RaWarrior's most excellent walk through A simple volt meter will tell you where your problems are at, after you get a fully charged battery in place.

Make sure to check main cable connections at both battery posts, start solenoid, starter and ground, even if they visually look good they could be loose or not making good contact..........Keep us posted..............Tom.

I just replaced a glass-mat lead acid sealed Yuasa after 16 mo. of light use (not in my VMax). It just crapped-out, probably an internal short. Overnight charging did little for it. Just the luck of the draw. I replaced it w/a lithium-ion battery. Pricey, yes, but w/410 c.c.amps, I will not have to worry about a weak battery for years and automatically my bike just lost 9 lbs. Wish I could do the same! Even a Li-ion battery won't help if your charging system is on the blink and you could damage the battery from too-much charging too, if the regulator/rectifier is bad. A strong battery will make all the difference if you have an operational charging system to sustain it.

+1 to the electrical system. Do a crimp fix. Get an AGM battery,contact Sean for a known good, or new later model R/R. Test the stator, I like the a/c output test for the stator. Clean all plug connections and grounds. Inspect every year after.Get some dielectric grease for connections or WD-40 at the least.
Steve-o

Have you looked at your coils recently? They can crack but it's only a problem in damp/wet conditions (that was my problem a few years back) bad plugs/weak spark could do the same

but if your starter is running out of puff then I'd go with the battery charging issues that were mentioned above

I just replaced a glass-mat lead acid sealed Yuasa after 16 mo. of light use (not in my VMax). It just crapped-out, probably an internal short. Overnight charging did little for it. Just the luck of the draw. I replaced it w/a lithium-ion battery. Pricey, yes, but w/410 c.c.amps, I will not have to worry about a weak battery for years and automatically my bike just lost 9 lbs. Wish I could do the same! Even a Li-ion battery won't help if your charging system is on the blink and you could damage the battery from too-much charging too, if the regulator/rectifier is bad. A strong battery will make all the difference if you have an operational charging system to sustain it.

I never had good luck with Yuasa myself. (I call them- UPYUASA) A one season, expensive battery. IMHO anyway. So many good choises out there. I don't use a trickle charger either. I fully charge it new, then let the bike take care of it mostly.I'm on my 3rd season with the currant battery. And it's an AGM cheapo
thumbup1.gif
. It's great not having to deal with acid. And having a little more battery power is nice. Stock is 16 AH, I believe. I'm using a 22 AH now. The phone charger and electric gloves aren't a problem ever. My fan runs a lot too, with the sender I'm using. 13.6-13.8 volts, at the battery, with a full load at idle.
Steve-o

If you guys find some more variables or concerns that may complete the "problem charging" thread please either go there and post it or the admins can move it overthere. Otherwise the same subject will be scattered all over the forum and making it difficult to track in the future...

starter was out of a newer 2000's bike from pcw in albany. im going to check the cables today.. i rode the bike to work at 5 am started ran beautiful. got on it after work started up and ran fine home. shut it off got gas put 87 in it ran fine to the house 2 miles away. got home shut it off for laughs i tried to start it back up it cranked over 3 times then got slower and slower and slower and no start then tried to pop start..... nothing !!! put it in the garage and at the point if i cant fix it or someone to help me its going !!

i changed all the coils 400 bucks brand new as well and im running nology hot wires on the bike not to crazy about what i saw and read about cutting wires n splicing i dont want to mess it up .. the bike is 26 years old the regualtor rectifier got changed 2 years ago by pcw. they said they added a ground to it i dont see it?? and u think the stator is bad ?? should i change it ? this bike has had this problem from when my dad owned it !! please help !! not to good at read or using a meter !!

ok guys had my buddy come over with his meter we put it on the bike and had 11.96 after running the bike. pretty much as looking at the forum to cut all the connectors fromt the stator and hard wire them and also to cut the red wire close to the r/r and then cut the connecotr out and hard wire to the battery NOTE **** PCW did put a ground running from the bolt on the RR behind the peg all the way up to the battery..

The 11.96 is not enough and if you do not see a jump after your direct wiring, I would pull the R/R out first it is cheapest to replace and get to and they can go bad faster than a stator. I would do the hard wire to the battery from the R/R first then get reading.

so elimate the stator plug har wire that and then run the red wire from the R/R to the battery?? what do i do with the red wire coming out of the harness ?? or do i connect that wire to the battery and just cut the red wire completely from the R/r and just leave enough to put a connector and shrink wrap and leave it ?

Latest posts

Back