Help?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mild83

Reaction score
Looked at a 91 vmax last night. 40k. Normal wear and tear on the bike, but in great overall cosmetic/running shape. No 2nd gear issues, no front wobble. However, the front brake seemed to pull in pretty far, but it did stop, with good feeling(not sure I'm describing it correctly).

Is this normal or should I worry?

Also, check the adjustment screw on the lever. See where it contacts the plunger and actually begins movement.

Sean

thanks for the responses.

so I'm assuming that it's not typical for the brake lever to be almost completely compressed before it grabs with substantial bite? Because the brakes still stop ok.

Buy Seans hyabusa caliper kit for pre 93 ull stop and look cool Hahahaha. Your welcome Sean. :rofl_200:

The the guy to fix it. If he wont then another excuse to low ball him even lower. Not hard to get a set of calipers or master cylinder rebuild kit

The brake part inside that comes into contact with that adjuster screw can get a wear pattern in it also, making it impossible to get it adjusted correctly. Brake master rebuild kits are relatively cheap, and easy to do. Use that as a bargaining tool to get a cheaper price, then do the work yourself.

The pros here will inform you, "this is not normal!"

I as an amateur will say the same thing. I bet the fluid hasn't been changed since the prior Democratic president, and looks like Prell w/o the pretty green color.

Sory, I got a double-post. As mentioned, bad brake fluid, or low fluid, or a misadjusted lever would have similar effects. I don't bother rebuilding masters, I just replace them, I want 'em to be working when I need them, & lately it seems that every other rebuild I try w/Japanese kits doesn't " take." so, why waste the $? Now I just buy a new master & am feeling safer for it.

Old hoses are also a source of problems, you could have internal expansion instead of caliper actuation.

Very good, thanks for the heads up.

I've already got him at his bottom dollar at $2300. He won't budge, and it runs great, looks very nice. Just had the carbs synced, all fluids replaced.

I say, "if it doesn't need anything to run reliably, despite the high miles, that's probably not a bad deal if it's the only one you can find, and you can't afford anything else." Sounds like some work for the brakes is warranted though. Even a stock system shouldn't come anywhere near to touching the grip when correctly maintained/adjusted.

I say, "if it doesn't need anything to run reliably, despite the high miles, that's probably not a bad deal if it's the only one you can find, and you can't afford anything else." Sounds like some work for the brakes is warranted though. Even a stock system shouldn't come anywhere near to touching the grip when correctly maintained/adjusted.

That pretty much hits the nail right on the head. It ran great, everything else seemed to be in order. I'm thinking that even if I'd put 10k or so on it, I'd likely be able to get out what I've got in it.

Back