Helped another friend buy a bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Well a few of the guys that I used to drag race with are buying motorcycles, and I just helped a friend and am currently helping get his new purchase going strong.

He just picked up a '99 Magna, 87XX miles, and it appears the carbs are gunked up. Drained the fuel, fresh fuel with Seafoam, fresh plugs, no matter. Seems like the idle circuits are "effed". I can pull the choke, and twist the throttle, she see's R's. I turn the choke off, twist the throttle, she putters out and dies. Anyway, I told him to start lookin' on some forums for a better answer than what I got, but I'm almost positive that's his issue.
The good is he paid a pretty inexpensive amount for a fairly nice bike other than the carb issue.

Ya for another V4!
Magna001.jpg

Magna002.jpg

Those are great bikes! Not fast but good! I would just take the carbs apart and do a thorough cleaning on them.

Yep, rebuild the carbs or find NOS ones. Idle circuits are screwed along with the floats sticking, etc....

Lacquer is never a good thing!

I had a 85 Sabre and loved it...Digital dash and all!

Yeah I was afraid of that. Not that it takes up too much room, it's just nice to not have another bike in there. Guess that's motivation to get the thing done for him once he gets parts.

Well with my help my buddy came over, got the carb rack off, pulled the bowls, primary jet, douched it all out, back together, runs like a champ!

He got an awesome deal IMO on the bike, especially with only having 87XX miles on it. This is his first bike in 6 years, and should be perfect to re-learn it all on.

I do have to say, I'm spoiled by the Max. Knowing it's a smaller V4 at 750cc's I still assumed the torque would be there similar to the Max, but not the case at all. It doesn't really start pumpin' 'till around 6500R's, and under that it's as tame as can be.

I honestly would recommend a 94+ Magna as a first bike. It's not the lightest, but at only 506 or so lbs it's not heavy, and when riding it feels like half the weight. Brakes are a little meak with a single disc on front and drum rear, but again for a beginer that may grap a tad too much break up front, this won't hurt you at all. Seating position isn't bad, but I'm spoiled with the forwards I put on the Max. The Honda forwards aren't quite as forward as mine, but still a good position.

Anyway, I think later this year or over the winter if he doesn't turn the bike he's gonna pull the tins and get rid of the scalops in the paint and go with a solid color. I do know he's gonna order a Vance & Hines slip on set for it to give it some tone. This thing is WHISPER quite!!!!!

Anyway, just thought those that checked in would like an update. I like the bike a lot, especially for the price!

Well with my help my buddy came over, got the carb rack off, pulled the bowls, primary jet, douched it all out, back together, runs like a champ!

He got an awesome deal IMO on the bike, especially with only having 87XX miles on it. This is his first bike in 6 years, and should be perfect to re-learn it all on.

I do have to say, I'm spoiled by the Max. Knowing it's a smaller V4 at 750cc's I still assumed the torque would be there similar to the Max, but not the case at all. It doesn't really start pumpin' 'till around 6500R's, and under that it's as tame as can be.

I honestly would recommend a 94+ Magna as a first bike. It's not the lightest, but at only 506 or so lbs it's not heavy, and when riding it feels like half the weight. Brakes are a little meak with a single disc on front and drum rear, but again for a beginer that may grap a tad too much break up front, this won't hurt you at all. Seating position isn't bad, but I'm spoiled with the forwards I put on the Max. The Honda forwards aren't quite as forward as mine, but still a good position.

Anyway, I think later this year or over the winter if he doesn't turn the bike he's gonna pull the tins and get rid of the scalops in the paint and go with a solid color. I do know he's gonna order a Vance & Hines slip on set for it to give it some tone. This thing is WHISPER quite!!!!!

Anyway, just thought those that checked in would like an update. I like the bike a lot, especially for the price!

Good for you. Glad you got it runnin well:clapping: The 3rd gen Magna's have an excellent reliable engine. Probably the best out of the 3 generations IMO. Although I never thought they were the most ornamental Honda V4 with the plastic head covers and grey engine they look kinda bland. Of course its not Vmax power. But like you said, they really pull at around 6,000-10,000rpm. I know for a fact that stock for stock my 87 Super Magna will run with most of the so called power cruisers built today. VTX, Road Star Warrior, Mean Streak and every HD except the V-Rod.

Ya know, I never quite understood why the 3rd gens only had 5 speed, cable clutch and chain drive compared to the 1st and 2nd gens having 6 speed, hydraulic clutch and shaft drive. Personally I really wouldnt classify any V45 as a beginer bike. That little 700 or 750cc will get you hurt in a heartbeat. But, for someone that is decent in size, has ridden before and wants to start riding again., it's a perfect choice. You did good:punk:

Tell your buddy to check out the Magna Riders Forum on Delphi. Pretty decent group of guys on there that know the 3rd gen Magna very well. Oh' and fwiw.......the V&H pipes are the best choice by far!

I just helped a friend find and pick up an 86 Virago 750.Looks like it was made yesterday.10k miles for $1900. Sweeeeet!

Attachments

• ben.jpg
    ben.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 14
Mitchell, I'll tell him about the forums on Delphi, I'm sure he'll thank you.

I took it for a ride tonight for him, it's seeming down on power a bit, but I think I'm bowing out and letting him work on it in his own garage now. I got it running, and running decent. Hell it may be running fine, it just seems sluggish. Again, I had just stepped of the V-Max too.

Shawn, that is an gem it looks like! Nice score! My buddy picked up that Magna for $2300. I didn't think it was too bad for a '99 with those miles.

Latest posts

Back