How can you tell if a bike is European/French spec

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reprint from Economy point.org.

Jean Claude Olivier, director von Yamaha France, pushed on a permission of the V-max in Europe. For engineers with Yamaha it was a challenge to prepare the chassis for the high-speed requirements in Europe. 1986 were introduced the V-max first in France. The European version had however first no V-Boost-system and therefore remained engine performance on 98 HP limited, in order to fulfill the stricter European permission criteria at that time. Still into the late 1990ern the Frenchmen bought more V-max than American soon already asked Yamaha the USA for a smaller version, e.g. a 750er V-max. The project was built however soon for constructional reasons to fall calmly however with the engine of the FZ 750 an American model. The FZX 750 developed forward with the 45"? bent row four-cylinder. The "“small V-max"”, in Europe Fazer' one baptized. And although less extremely and less "“Macho"” was than the large brother, it nevertheless a versatile and independent development with a completely own character and also a very successful model.

Thats great thanks, but how can I tell from looking at it?

Reprint from Economy point.org.

Jean Claude Olivier, director von Yamaha France, pushed on a permission of the V-max in Europe. For engineers with Yamaha it was a challenge to prepare the chassis for the high-speed requirements in Europe. 1986 were introduced the V-max first in France. The European version had however first no V-Boost-system and therefore remained engine performance on 98 HP limited, in order to fulfill the stricter European permission criteria at that time. Still into the late 1990ern the Frenchmen bought more V-max than American soon already asked Yamaha the USA for a smaller version, e.g. a 750er V-max. The project was built however soon for constructional reasons to fall calmly however with the engine of the FZ 750 an American model. The FZX 750 developed forward with the 45"? bent row four-cylinder. The "?small V-max"?, in Europe Fazer' one baptized. And although less extremely and less "?Macho"? was than the large brother, it nevertheless a versatile and independent development with a completely own character and also a very successful model.

I removed the left scoop and cover and this is what it looks like:

Attachments

• Left scoop.jpg
    Left scoop.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
The easiest way to tell if you have a working Vboost would be the 3 distinct whirring sounds
when you turn the key. Not the fuel pump sound. That's the servo setting up and removing
the slack. 2 long and 1 short.

Other than that you'll need a picture that I don't have to verify the Vboost is actually there.
There should be a difference in the carb setup, the runners under the carbs that go front to back.

Dave

Van you see it in the picture I've provided? How can I tell the difference between the fuel pump sound and the vboost sound?

Well it sounds like there's a servo going. 2 long and one really short, much lower. Both at first key turn and if I repeat as well. It's pouring out now but I'll try the boost later on the road. I thought the picture I attached though would have the right info to prove or not. Thanks for the help!

If you haven't experienced the Vboost, I suggest you do it in 3rd gear first.
It'll scare you in lower gears until you get used to it. It add 50 HP in a hurry.
Don't go too far over 100 until you know the bike well. Max's are prone to High
Speed Wobble if not properly setup.

Good Luck,
Dave

I experienced it on my 94 - It's just that this bike was owned in Germany by a German diplomat who brought it to DC and it feel slower than I remembered the last one being. Granted my last one had an exhaust and was jetted AND I've had pretty nicely modded Triumph Speed Triple in between that bike and this one. I just don't want to put any more money into it if it's a Euro model.

Back