How do I attatch the air box to the top of the carbs??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMadVmax

Reaction score
I just bought my first motorcycle (that runs and drives). I accidentally left the key on yesterday while hanging out with my daughter and the battery went dead. I am also waiting on a screw for the clutch lever perch, as that snapped off right above the threads. So the bike is in the garage today and I am taking the seat off to try and access the battery. Also, since the bike has had a few rough spots during acceleration, I thought I would check the air filter as well. So I went to pull the top of the air box off and the whole air box felt loose. When I got the air box apart, it appears that whoever had the bike before had detatched the whole air box from the top of the carbs, and it's been driving around like, just floating on top of them.

My question is, how do I attach the sleeves of the airbox back to the top of the carbs....and the breather tube to the bottom of the airbox? Do I need to take the bottom half of the air box apart?

I'm hoping to get the bike running by this weekend, so I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!!

You just loosen the clamps on the bottom of the airbox.
Push the airbox on the carbs, make sure they are seated.
Tighten up the 4 clamps, then attach the top of the airbox.

As for the vent tube, I have a pair of elongated needle nose plyers that help me alot. I have huge hands so that has always been a pain to me. before I the the plyers I had a friend take care of it for me.

The trick for the breather tube is to lift coolant resevoir up and out of the way. Just hang it off to the right. It's easy after that.

The trick for the breather tube is to lift coolant resevoir up and out of the way. Just hang it off to the right. It's easy after that.

Well ya learn something every day :clapping:
All that time I wasted, All them swear words I invented :biglaugh:

I have a similar problem but it's because the left side boots are hardened with age and will not properly seat. If yours are like that, you may have to soak them in something to loosen them up or replace them as if they don't seal properly I've found I get backfiring and the engine is off below 3k rpms, especially when cold. If your bike has some rough spots at low rpm, the lack of seating there could be the issue as I think it lets too much air in causing it to be lean. The clamps could also be sprung a bit, so you may have to pull them off and bend them back into shape (mine also had this problem).

Well, I got all four of the intake tubes to seat and clamp properly, but this was before I learned that I could move the coolant reservoir to attach the breather tube.

So my other problem now is that I got the clutch lever back together and now pulling the clutch lever doesn't fully disengage the clutch. How do I fix that problem?? I want to get the bike push started (I still have a dead battery and don't know how to access it) and see how it's running with the intake box attached properly. Any hints? And how do I access the battery to put a charger on it????

Thanks guys!

Right, but there is a bunch of stuff on top of it...I think it's the ignition coil....but I am not a mehcanic and don't want to screw anything up by trying to take stuff apart....Know anything about the clutch?

The stuff on the top of the battery moves aside easily to remove the battery. BUT, you can charge the battery without taking it out anyway.

Bleed the clutch a little. The bleeder is right above where your left foot would be under the rubber cover if it's still in place (you should be able to see the metal line coming out of there too).

Sean

Needle nose with a 90 degree bend in them are really handy for the breather hose.

You should be able to get a battery charger clip on the battery + post without removing anything except the seat. There is also a wire from the battery to the starter solenoid (that little round thing between the coils with two large wires attached to it) that's easy to hook on there, there is a boot over the wires you need to push out of the way. One of the wires goes to the starter and the other straight to the battery, follow it out to see which one goes to the battery.....

You can get your ground point about anywhere, no need to go to the battery..

Right, but there is a bunch of stuff on top of it...I think it's the ignition coil....but I am not a mehcanic and don't want to screw anything up by trying to take stuff apart....Know anything about the clutch?

If you're down to the carbs your way more of a mechanic than I was when I got my max! You could get to the battery with no trouble.

Hope you get it up and runnin'

Latest posts

Back